Wetsuit
Diver
First Name: Dave

Dacor R2 first stage

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm

IMG_4478.jpg
Any advice on removing the first stage from the body without doing anymore damage
Been treating with WD40 over the last couple of days, going to try heat and a vice later this week.

Thanks,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Dacor R2 first stage

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Use the old diaphragm as a pattern and drill some holes in a piece of metal, 1/4 aluminum or steel. I would use at least 4 screws. Screw the assembly to the metal with screws that will go in deep and tighten down. Add a washer or 2 if you need more depth to tighten the screws. You can now clamp it in a vise or bore a few more holes and bolt it to a bench. You may get away with a big adjustable wrench but whatever you use it needs to hold the nozzle well. It's brass so a loose wrench will likely displace metal and you run the chance of damaging the nozzle. Most wrenches do not have a deep enough throat for this job. Don't use a wrench unless faces of the hex are at a minimum 100% covered by the wrench.

If you don't mind a shameless plug, I make a pull bar specifically for this operation. It works on all 1in nozzles and yoke nuts. It's in my 2019 catalog.

With that said, you may want to NOT remove it. The only thing in there is a crush washer, if it's not leaking, there is really no need to separate the 2 parts. If you separate the pieces, the washer may not reseal and I have not heard of anyone finding replacements. Not a lot to gain and a lot to lose.
Herman

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Funny that this came up as I am struggling with the same problem. The nozzle hex is soft and will give way under the kind of pressure these things are under. People used thread compounds to seal them up, and cranked them down, so they are tight!
I had some success with PB Blastering the thing for a week or more, then doing as Herman suggests. I made a clamp-able piece out of a strip of 1" mild steel with only two screws. I used the metal lever plate as a template, rather than the diaphragm. You could also use the can.
As mentioned, you don't need to take the nozzle out. I did it because I wanted to remove the brass washer for a another regulator.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 am

Do not take it out. If you look in the factory manual it states that it should be sent to Dacor for repairs. You don't need to do this step anyway. JMO
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Wetsuit
Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Wow

Thanks, that’s to many votes to not take it out

Thanks again

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 pm

+1 on Herman's advice. You don't need to remove it and it will need resealing if you do (I've had the experience), so just work around it. I have some extra parts for these, so if you find yourself in need, contact me.

Return to “General Discussions”