Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

St Vincents Snark III...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm

St. Vincent de Paul Snark III...
- I lucked out and won this Like-New Nemrod Snark III Silver on Ebay for $100.99... Beat the nearest bid by only $1. When I saw this on-line, it looked like brand new... still has the protective coating on the rubber and the neck strap included. Then I see it is listed that the proceeds go to charity... So I would be doing a good deed to bid on this beauty.
- It just arrived at my work address so I've only had a chance for a quick look BUT, it is a really nice one. The rubber hoses look new even though they've taken a set. There are no cracks. Mouthpiece is perfect. Chrome is nearly perfect with no scratches except for about a 1/4 inch scuff in the front can. There are some spots of corrosion that should disappear with a cleanup. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: St Vincents Snark III...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 pm

You are on a roll

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm

I bid on that reg too. Congratulations on winning it, I hope you can get it in the water where it belongs.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 am

Nice score Eben. Does that one have an HP port?

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:47 pm

swimjim wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 am
Nice score Eben. Does that one have an HP port?
- Yes but it didn't have an HP plug in it. The reg looks practically unused but it had to have had SOME use... Missing HP Plug means it had a pressure gauge on it. I was wondering if it might be a metric thread but I tried one of my leftover plugs and it screwed in and sealed fine.
- Then I couldn't resist hooking it up to a tank... It worked fine. Breathing through the original hoses seemed less easy than breathing through one of my fixed up DA Aqua Masters. I have other Snark IIIs that breathe as well as a DAAM when you put DAAM hoses and mouthpiece on them.
- These original hoses, mouthpiece, and neck strap are in such great condition, I'd like to use them. But I DID pick up a really good deal at the VDH store on a set of Argonaut hoses. EPDMs that are longer, heavy duty, and include hose clamps... One of my three Snark IIIs is going to get those hoses.
SurfLung

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I think I was your nearest competitor. I have a Silver, so I'm happy you got it. I put a DSV and long EPDM hoses on mine, as well as an adapter in the OPRV port for a safe second and BC inflator hose. Haven't dived it yet, but will soon! I want to shorten the adapter a bit, but I have to find a splitter that is thin enough to clear or machine one down.

ImageIMG_2820 by Vancetp, on Flickr

Phil

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

That's very nice Vance. Awhile back I saw a German website that had several modifications and add-ons for the Snark IIIs... Some of them used the OPV to create a low pressure port with an adaptor. But others went thru an adaptor that replaced the second stage end cap screw with a screw that has a 3/8 port in it. Looks like it was a factory offering.
http://www.altes.tauchen.seveke.de/tech ... nemrod.htm
SurfLung

Vancetp
Master Diver

Wed May 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Yeah, I saw his blog. It inspired me to make the adapter. I got an extra cap screw for the second stage, thinking I'd drill and tap it for a port, but there's not much material there. I might machine a new cap plug with some meat on it and tap it for 3/8" UNF. But, the OPRV port is convenient and will probably serve. I just don't like the tee sticking up so high.

BTW, the Silver has more clearance between the top can casting and the OPRV port than the older versions. They are very tight. The Silver will allow a thicker tee to be mounted, but I don't have one that's thin enough, even so. I'll need to shave some material off of one side to get the adapter shortened.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 am

Update on St. Vincent's Snark III...
- You may remember how enthused I was about the condition of the original hoses on this regulator? Well, they had taken a stiff set with the mouthpiece held very close to the regulator body. I hung the regulator body on the wall and hoped the hoses would migrate outward under their own weight. This was in May. Just a few weeks ago I looked up and saw one of the hoses had actually torn away at the horn. So much for original hoses.
- I finally got around to servicing this regulator last night and "servicing" is really all I had to do to it. Insides were pristine.
- First step after removing the old hoses was to check the Over Pressure valve (OPV). This is on the back exterior and is actually the "3rd" stage. Since the 1st stage is downstream, an OPV is needed in case the 1st stage leaks. So, I wanted to be sure the OPV is working fine before putting anything under pressure. It had a tiny bit of watermarks and corrosion but all cleaned up easily with a Q-Tip and food grade silicon lube.
- Next I removed the front can and diaphram. The diaphragm looks fine but I replaced it with a new VDH Mistral diaphragm. More importantly, the big mushroom exhaust valve is in excellent shape... Those are hard to come buy when you need to replace one.
- My two previous Snark III projects had leaky 1st stage diaphragms. So to check for that on this one, I mounted the regulator to a 3000 psi scuba tank and gently eased the pressure on. First there is no leak at the OPV. Second, there are no leaks coming from the first stage IP adjustment... Sprayed this area with soapy water and no leaks. I DID notice that the lever is a compound linkage like a USD Mistral... So it was VERY easy to depress. I began to suspect this will be a VERY EASY BREATHER.
- At this point there was nothing left to do but close her up and install a hose loop. I installed the VDH EDPM hoses with a curved Voit mouthpiece. Hooked it up to a 3000 psi tank and test breathed... Wow. I compared it to my other Snark IIIs (easy breathers as well) and I think it breathes even easier than they do! I'll have to wait 'til the 3rd Sunday in Dec to test it in the "open swim" public pool. :)
SurfLung

Vancetp
Master Diver

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Too bad about the hoses. Some of the very latest came with silicone hoses, which I thought you'd gotten on this one.

I did some work on my Silver's adapter, which lowers it behind the regulator instead of sticking up high. I don't think it will improve breathing characteristics of the second, but it should help keep it from being as much of a snag hazard. This seems to be the way to go for LP peripherals. You might want to make one for yours!

ImageIMG_3822 by Vancetp, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3824 by Vancetp, on Flickr

Let us know how it breathes when you do your pool test!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”