ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Water in my SPG

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 am

Question for you all. I took an old Dacor SPG off a junky reg and have been using it for several dives. Works great but today, four days after my last dive with it, I noticed water droplets inside the housing.

The case appears intact, there are no air leaks, and it did not flood but water droplets are definitely in there. No big temperature changes to form condensation. Haven't had that happen before with this guage. The only difference from the last few dives was my tank. This time I used my old twin steel 45's. Now I'm paranoid I have water in those tanks and need to break them down for a visual. I used a banjo fitting for it but it was not leaking. Thoughts?

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Water in my SPG

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:32 am

Relax, if that water had come from the tanks you would known it by a big hiss from gas escaping. That area is sealed by an oring on the face (glass) and a couple of other seals. There is a plug in the back that acts as a blowout plug in case the bordon tube springs a leak, odds are pretty good its what is leaking. When you dive, ambient pressure forces water in around any defective seal. The real issue you have is if that is salt water it will corrode the gearing in the gauge and destroy it. I am assuming the face of that reg does not screw off, can't tell from the photo If not,, there is not much you can do, they are pressed/glued together and don't come apart.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 am

I repaired many of those with good results, as Dacor was able to provide all the components way back when. That lens should unscrew, but it has a narrow serrated edge and will probably take a little ingenuity to get some tool to grip and unscrew. Take the boot off, remove the inlet fitting and lens, and completely remove gauge component from the plastic case asap for a good clean up with fresh water.

Look closely at all areas of the plastic case for hairline cracks, especially where the hose attachment fitting is. Also around the outer rim where lens screws into the case. I probably still have some cases and lenses for those. I think I even have a couple of complete gauges like that. I always liked them over the USD gauges since they were repairable.

I'll look for that stuff today in hopes of selling you some parts at an exorbitant price. Oops, it's cold and rainy today.... have to charge extra for a trip down to the barn.:lol:
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for the info Herman and Bill.

I'll tinker with it some. Looks like the top may screw off. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Found the problem - giant crack. The case does unscrew but seems to be stuck pretty good. Have to figure out a way to get it off.

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Before you take a chance on wrecking the lens let me see if I have a replacement, and a case too. Going right now. If I don't we will come up with some other things to try.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 pm

- Hey this is a good topic. I have two Dacors and I like them for the big numbers I can see and the lower max pressure. BUT, they have been leaking. I unscrewed the lens and cleaned the O-ring but they still leak. I ended up getting tired of fooling with it and bought a used SUUNTO... The ones before the current model (SM26) can be got pretty reasonably priced. And my new progressive contact lenses allow me to see the numbers well enough.

- Sorry, I've run off topic. If I could get my Dacors to stop leaking, I'd use them hands down. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Unfortunately I spoke too soon about my Dacor parts, and have so far been unable to locate them. I did find an identical complete gauge, and as soon as I can get the real job off my back I will open it up and check condition. If no cracks I can then test it in the chamber later.

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Hey Mark,
I have an identical gauge... right down to the crack in the case. :(

While looking for parts I found 4 new lenses, the above mentioned gauge, but no new cases left. I found two more gauges that utilize the same type case, but have the later all-luminous face. One has small cracks showing, but none visually apparent on the last one. I'll try to pressure test it this weekend, but I'm beginning to think those may be nearing the end of life cycle on the plastic material. Will try to look further into this tomorrow.

If this last Dacor doesn't work out I still have a few other brands of gauges available if you need a replacement.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Appreciate your gung-ho attitude Bill. But it's just a junky old gauge. My wife will be happy if I toss it in the circular file and be done with it. I have others (probably cracked too). M

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 am

For some reason I thought you were wanting to get this particular gauge working. It gave me a chance to look through some old unmarked boxes, which I need to do occasionally to get parts better organized and boxes labeled.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

antique diver wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 am
For some reason I thought you were wanting to get this particular gauge working. It gave me a chance to look through some old unmarked boxes, which I need to do occasionally to get parts better organized and boxes labeled.
You are correct Bill, I do want to get it working and I appreciate your efforts. But FUBAR is FUBAR and short of a new case the patient ain't going to live. :shock:

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:58 am

I do not know what material the case is made of but you can try acrylic cement.
See the video on how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps
Captain

Return to “General Discussions”