Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Was Dx Overpressure really that bad!!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:43 am

Hey everyone! I hope you are all fine!!

This is my last post about the DX Overpressure, I'd be happy to have your comments and expertise on that!

https://vintagescubadiving.com/dx-overpressure-or-not/
US DIVERS DX OVERPRESSURE 00024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Was Dx Overpressure really that bad!!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am

Great write-up! Loved it.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for posting that. I feel like I have owned and dove a DX after reading your story.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Nice article Stephane!

I agree with you though. I think maybe for the time people said it gave a lot of air, but compared to the Mistral or any modern regulator it doesn't. I think people often repeat what they've read and say that the DX gives too much air. It's a slightly less powerful Mistral.

I think if you were used to breathing a DA Aqualung with no venturi it was probably a lot of air. I still have a DX, like yours, in original configuration and I dive it.

I really like it, but it's not the best performing single state regulator. The DW Mistral is.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Ron wrote:

I really like it, but it's not the best performing single state regulator. The DW Mistral is.
I may have to disagree with you on that Ron. A Healthways Gold Label set up properly breaths really well.
Herman

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 pm

That may be Herman. I've never used one. For whatever reason, HW gear comes across as kind of junky to me. Maybe it was their marketing and branding. I'd try one if someone brought it to a dive though.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Although I swear by the ultra easy breathing of my 1958 Mistral I gotta agree with Herman that there is a "sweet spot" on my HW Gold Lable (and Gold Label only) that if you get it adjusted just right you just think about getting air and it steps up and anticipates your desire. If not so adjusted it breathes like a Mistral, still very easy. My 2 psi.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm

I own a Gold label and a few Mistrals. If a Gold label has a USD hose and mouth piece set and is in good tune the Gold label will edge out the Mistral, but they are close. From a build stand point, the Mistral is just plain better. Heavier duty all around. I like them both. Given the choice though, I take my DivAir everytime. One day perhaps I'll be able to dive the Overpressure and find out for myself how they breath.

BrandonLen
First Name: Brandon

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 am

swimjim wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm
I own these amazing recurve bows and a few Mistrals. If a Gold label has a USD hose and mouth piece set and is in good tune the Gold label will edge out the Mistral, but they are close. From a build stand point, the Mistral is just plain better. Heavier duty all around. I like them both. Given the choice though, I take my DivAir everytime. One day perhaps I'll be able to dive the Overpressure and find out for myself how they breath.
Awesome article. It still didn't make me want to dive a DX though. haha

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am
Great write-up! Loved it.

Mark
Thanks ScubaLawyer!!! Much appreciated!

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am
Thanks for posting that. I feel like I have owned and dove a DX after reading your story.
Thanks SurfLung, it means a lot to me, English is not my mother tongue and it is challenging to communicate feelings and sensations!

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Ron wrote:
Nice article Stephane!

I agree with you though. I think maybe for the time people said it gave a lot of air, but compared to the Mistral or any modern regulator it doesn't. I think people often repeat what they've read and say that the DX gives too much air. It's a slightly less powerful Mistral.

I think if you were used to breathing a DA Aqualung with no venturi it was probably a lot of air. I still have a DX, like yours, in original configuration and I dive it.

Thanks Ron, I do agree with you, it needs to be placed in its context, compared to an Aqualung Trademark DX provides more air.

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:05 pm

BrandonLen wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 am
Awesome article. It still didn't make me want to dive a DX though. haha
LOL!!! thanks Brandon!!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”