Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Correct Bands for Twin Walterr Kidde 38's

Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 am

Hey Folks,
I was wondering what the correct bands for a twin set of Walter Kidde 38's were. I want to get a harness from Allan for them. They are1800 psi 1944 dated and passed VIS/Tumble & hydro with flying colors in Dec. 2017. They came with a set that fits on a Dacor 1966 backpack, but these can't be the originals. The manifold is VERY early has no bushings and fits directly into the tanks. The valve has the uber large flat o-rings circa 1949?. Any suggestions?
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Correct Bands for Twin Walterr Kidde 38's

Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Allan sells bands for his harnesses. Don't know if they are accurate Walter Kidde reproductions but he may know.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun May 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Bronze06 wrote:
Hey Folks,
I was wondering what the correct bands for a twin set of Walter Kidde 38's were. I want to get a harness from Allan for them. They are1800 psi 1944 dated and passed VIS/Tumble & hydro with flying colors in Dec. 2017. They came with a set that fits on a Dacor 1966 backpack, but these can't be the originals. The manifold is VERY early has no bushings and fits directly into the tanks. The valve has the uber large flat o-rings circa 1949?. Any suggestions?
You might measure the circumference with a tape or string, and compare to a 72. Probably only slightly smaller and same bands may work.

The manifold sounds familiar. Are the valve sections bare brass with brass caps screwed on top, and crossbar satin chrome? May be like one I have that makes for a nice low profile to help keep the reg low. Post a photo if you have time. Mine are stored 50 miles away for now.
The older I get the better I was.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun May 27, 2018 2:46 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:38 pm
Bronze06 wrote:
Hey Folks,
You might measure the circumference with a tape or string, and compare to a 72. Probably only slightly smaller and same bands may work.

The manifold sounds familiar. Are the valve sections bare brass with brass caps screwed on top, and crossbar satin chrome? May be like one I have that makes for a nice low profile to help keep the reg low. Post a photo if you have time. Mine are stored 50 miles away for now.
Found a photo. Are they like these?
1. Old Manifold.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 am

- I think the Walter Kidd Scuba 38s were usually conversions from either military oxygen tanks or CO2 fire extinguishers. Some were 1/2" NPT and some were the larger thread requiring the bushing. I think even the dive equipment manufacturers were re-purposing these tanks to some extent (Vigo 18 and Vigo 38 from USD). So, if the original WK tanks were mainly conversions, I don't know if there is a "correct" set of bands.
- I like the military style bands and harness like USD originally offered. But I've seen (and bought some) conversions with other set ups... One had the USD "Dogbone" back plate with USD top band and a Voit bottom band. One had the black vinyl coated USD bands top and bottom. etc.
- I have original USD military style bands on three of my doubles and a set of Allen's bands on 1 set of doubles. Allen's really are beautiful. They are brushed stainless steel and a little thicker/stronger than the original USD bands. I highly recommend them.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”