NightLightning
First Name: Andrew

Opinions on what to do with a lone 42.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello gang. Long time listener, first time caller. I have been slowly getting into vintage diving over the past few years and I can thank you for the great information I have acquired here. I have found and put back into diving condition a few double hose regs and purchased a Kraken on the first run.
Recently I found a cheap deal I couldn't pass up, a twin set of 1961 Sportsways 42's with 1/2" straight thread necks, manifold, and backpack. After some disassembly and cleaning, I found one of the tanks to be badly rusted internally. The last hydro date was 1970, quite a long time to be sitting around unused. Dropped the tanks off for hydro and got some bad (but not unexpected) news. The rusty tank was condemned due to pitting, the other tank hydro'd fine.
So now I have a dilemma. What do I do with one odd thread tank and no valve? I would love to find a mate for it and have an awesome little set of doubles to dive. Let me know what ideas you may have. Or even better, if you have another lone tank hiding somewhere you would want to find a good home for.
Andrew

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Opinions on what to do with a lone 42.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Andrew, there are still some single valves out there that will fit your cylinder. If you can find one you can be enjoying that short cylinder which is ideal for double hose diving, as it doesn't hang down so far as a 72 when you position the regulator properly. You can keep your manifold around for when you get lucky and find a matching 42. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the VDH forum has a valve available. I'm currently out of them, but always keeping my eyes open for extras. I'll ask around at some of the older shops and see if anything turns up.
The older I get the better I was.

mistral
Skin Diver
First Name: Russ

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

If you are thinking of installing a valve into the tank that passed hydro... I have a NEW-OLD-STOCK, Sherwood, 1/2" tapered thread valve available. I closed my dive store 2+ years ago.... around 2001, I bought 12 of the 1/2 valves, when Sherwood discontinued them.
Regards,
Russ

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

1/2" tapered thread will NOT work in a Sportsways 1/2" straight thread. This valve/tank combo was one of the first to use an O-ring. USD came out a couple of years after Sportsways with the 3/4" straight thread, O-ring seal, and the rest is history.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

mistral
Skin Diver

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 am

Alan is correct... I misread the post.I do believe that I have a Sportsways 1/2" straight thread "K" valve available

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:58 pm

Same thing happened to me... I bought a set of orange 42s from Rob. Rob had them hydro'd and one failed. So, I bought the good one and have kept it as a single 42 for about 5 years and used it quite a few times for lake diving, pool diving, and as a smaller tank for my wife. For most lake diving at depths from 12-25 feet, it lasts me at least 45 minutes. That's a lot for such a little tank. Very nice.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

time2dive
Vintage Diver

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:30 pm

The best thing to do is to put it in a box and send it to me in Hawaii so I can have a match to my lone cylinder.
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

NightLightning

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks for the replys gang. I have had the thought about making it a tiny single setup for what SurfLung describes. Having a small, light, really basic scuba kit sounds really fun!
Mistral, if you do have that valve and want to part with it, I am interested. It would get this tank back in use, and I will keep an eye out for another tank to pair up with this one at some point.
Thanks again,
Andrew

mistral
Skin Diver

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Andrew....I do have a Sportsways , 1/2" straight thread valve available.
Russ

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:21 pm

I would build a fake shark, Put the tank in its mouth Then shoot it with an M1Garand and see if it actually would kill the shark :D

mistral
Skin Diver

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Andrew.....I do have a Sportsways, 1/2" straight thread valve available
Russ

NightLightning

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I need to do a better job remembering my login information. I have been away from home and could not think of my password :oops:
I like the idea of detonating a fake shark but I don't think the neighbors would fully appreciate the reenactment :lol:
Russ, I just saw your PM and will send you a message shortly.
Thanks,
Andrew

Return to “Tanks and Valves”