SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sea Hunt Kankles...

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 am

Sea Hunt Kankles... Solution Found!
- At the Sea Hunt forever event last year, I was embarrassed about my swollen ankles hanging out from the gap between my wetsuit and slippers. I've been overweight for awhile but the swollen ankles (kankles) is only a recent thing in the last 3 years or so.
- Look it up everywhere, ask your doctor, etc... Everyone says its caused by too much salt in your diet. I cut the salt and it made no difference at all.
- My sister is a former state champion body builder, and works as a fitness trainer. She's in tip top physical shape with hardly any fat on her. But she told me she gets swollen ankles, too. She said its from too much sugar.
- I looked it up and asked about it as much as I could and found ZERO references to sugar and swollen ankles. I went to the doctor and got a complete physical including lab work... Thankfully everything is good but also, there's no diabetes. I asked the doctor directly if too much sugar could cause swollen ankles. He said, "No, it's too much salt in your diet." He's wrong. My sister is right. It's SUGAR. And now I have proof...
- I finally got started on a diet and held too it for the past two weeks. It was originally called the Core Plan diet by Weight Watchers. Cut out sugar, reduce fat and meat portions, and eat all you want of vegetables. I repeat: Cut out sugar... ZERO sugar. (Did you know that the only cereal in the grocery store that has zero sugar is Shredded Wheat?). I've lost 12 lbs and it looks like it all came off of my ankles. My belly is just as big as when I started. But my ANKLES are skinny. And I'm using plenty of salt on my vegetables... No kidding!
- My ankle skin is actually loose and wrinkled from becoming UN-swollen. Thought I'd share this in case it might help others. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Sea Hunt Kankles...

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Kankles??? I'd call that streamlining. Lol

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

This needs pics! Hahaha!

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

It has nothing to do with sugar, in specific, but it has everything to do with excess calories. Sugar is simply a fuel that the body uses for specific tasks. If it has too much of it, it stores it as fat. That fat burns off, usually as a last in-first out fuel, so since you last noticed your ankles getting larger, that would also be the place where it went away first.
In any case, good job getting your health back i order! It sure makes diving a lot easier, and not much beats that feeling!

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 am

Well done. I guess I'll have to re find Shredded Wheat (un-frosted)
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Shredded Wheat with skim milk and crystal Truvia for sweetener... Tastes good, takes awhile to eat, a fills you up.

I just remembered a diving physiology story by David Mass author of Blue Water Hunter. He said there is a diuretic effect of diving. And I have experienced it several times coming out of the cold deep water of Fortune Pond.

Last year in particular, I had one dive where I had to pee in my wetsuit four times. When I came out, the swelling was gone from my ankles. Something during that dive turned on the water processing machinery.

I’m thinking the removal of sugar from my diet does the same thing for me.
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 am

Warming my wetsuit is preferable to eating Shredded Wheat.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 am

Last year in particular, I had one dive where I had to pee in my wetsuit four times.
I AINT HAD A GOOD DIVE UNLESS I PEED MY WETSUIT A FEW TIMES :D LETS YOU END THE DIVE JUST AS WARM AS WHEN YOU STARTED THE DIVE. I REMEMBER WELL PILING INTO MY BUDDIES' CARGO VAN STILL IN OUR WETSUITS AFTER A NIGHT DIVE FOR LOBSTER, THE AROMA OF AMMONIA WAFTING THROUGH THE CONFINES OF OUR RIDE. AH, THE MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR. :lol: STILL WONDER WHY NONE OF US HAD A GIRLFRIEND.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 am

Drado wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm
This needs pics! Hahaha!
You asked for it!
Wrinkled ankles have replaced swollen ankles.
Wrinkles.JPG
Sorry Bryan. I promise to improve on the subject material I submit to the Forum from now on! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks Eben. You have single-handedly changed my morning ritual. New rule around here: NEVER CHECK FORUM POSTS WHILE EATING BREAKFAST! :roll:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm
Thanks Eben. You have single-handedly changed my morning ritual. New rule around here: NEVER CHECK FORUM POSTS WHILE EATING BREAKFAST! :roll:
Sorry about that. Drado made me do it.
SurfLung

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 am

Hence the adage "be careful what you ask for!"

Hahaha!

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Some things just can't been unseen once you have seen them... Thanks for sharing Eben.
minion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:12 am

Between and including Cozumel and Thanksgiving and Christmas and eating out with customers I gained ten pounds to 185 :shock: and Popeye's :oops: . Thus I am back on Weight Watchers and my weight has dropped back thankfully and heading back down to my normal acceptable maximum gross takeoff weight of 175 pounds. Kankles could cause me to go anorexic. Just saying.

I think it has something to do with age, if I sit for long spells my ankles swell up. Beats me. Maybe make sure to do some walking for a sustained period.

Nem

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

SurfLung wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:03 pm
Shredded Wheat with skim milk and crystal Truvia for sweetener... Tastes good, takes awhile to eat, a fills you up.

I just remembered a diving physiology story by David Mass author of Blue Water Hunter. He said there is a diuretic effect of diving. And I have experienced it several times coming out of the cold deep water of Fortune Pond.

Last year in particular, I had one dive where I had to pee in my wetsuit four times. When I came out, the swelling was gone from my ankles. Something during that dive turned on the water processing machinery.

I’m thinking the removal of sugar from my diet does the same thing for me.
What you have mentioned and already tacitly understand is known as immersion diuresis. More here:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medi ... to_Urinate

Also, calories are simply math at a fixed point. A professor recently lost 27 pounds eating only junk food, simply by restricting his caloric intake. It's energy balance, which if I remember is the first law of thermodynamics right? I fly a ton to client sites, and I often end up eating diners or takeout. By restricting my caloric intake and exercising, I still fit into the same size pants I did when I was 20. Science is pretty cool 8)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “General Discussions”