AdamL
First Name: Adam

Need some info on a Cornelius Model 130R1500

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm

So i was gifted a Cornelius Model 130R1500 from a neighbor who did scuba in the 60's/70's, I don't dive but i plan on using it for my PCP airgun, Its currently set at 3000PSI (perfect for my gun) but seeing how old it is i want to keep it in good condition, can anyone give me some information on this unit?

What type of filter (intake) does it use?
What type of moister catch does it use?
Any issues i should know about?
Whats its value?
Can i get anymore pressure out of it? (Looking to get 4500PSI, but dought this can do it)
How reliable are they?

I am going to clean it up and get some fresh paint on it to make it look good, wish i had that fan gourd for it though :/

Thanks, I will post some picture under here for you to see...

AdamL

Re: Need some info on a Cornelius Model 130R1500

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Having an issue i think, i sat with it on for about 10-15 minutes and it didn't even reach 1000psi.... is it just really slow or is something wrong? For info i am filling a 255cc tank to 200 bar from about 100 bar

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 am

I have not seen Terry Stevens around the forum for a while but I know he did some work rebuilding a similar compressor a couple of years ago. Hopefully he will see this and chime in if he can help.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 am

Try this link to Terry's information on his Cornelius.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7380&start=0

I noticed he said there is a manual available on the VDH Manuals and Catalogs site.
Good luck with your project.
The older I get the better I was.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Sorry I took this long to reply. Between getting ready for the holidays and a number of other things going on this is the first chance I've really had to focus on your post and reply. First of all the compressor you have is exactly the same one that I have, and I've been very happy with it. This is my first and only scuba compressor that I have ever owned; so my compressor knowledge is very limited. When I first got this compressor I was told by a number of other folks that this is a very dependable one and that in it's day it was the workhorse of compressors. That being said I'll try to tell you a bit about mine which I hope will be of some help. When I received mine the first thing I noticed was that it was missing the air intake filter on the first stage. That wasn't any problem though; I just replaced it with a Solberg #5Z766 1/4" filter / silencer which takes a replaceable filter element #5Z768. These are easy to replace for servicing by simply unscrewing the cover, removing the old element and replacing it with a new one; then screwing the cover back on. Both of these parts are available from Grainger. As for the oil used in this compressor; there are several that are recommended such as Chemlube 201 synthetic oil, Mobile Jet II, and Anderol 500. So far I've used Mobile Jet II and it works just fine; and it's also available on ebay. This compressor does not come with a filtration tower that holds any chemicals for filtration; so I added one. I purchased one from Jim Sheldon and it has an inner cartridge so I can replace my own chemicals when it's time for servicing. This tower holds charcoal for odor removal and purification, and Linde 13X for moisture removal. This tower also has a blow off valve on the bottom for moisture removal in addition to the one on the compressor itself. Be sure to print yourself off a copy of the manual which is available in the download section that Bryan has made available to us on this site; you'll find it very helpful. Also for your records make yourself a records / maintenance sheet so you can track your hours of use, oil and chemical changes, etc. Hope this is of some help, and good luck with and enjoy your compressor. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:48 pm

You all realize that this compressor will not be used for breathing air. This guy wants to use it for paint-ball guns. I doubt if he will need any sort of filter system for odor removal, etc. You have been very kind as to reply to his posts. Even if I had a compressor, which I don't, I am not sure if I would be so helpful. Enough said, "manual is in download section."
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:57 pm

- Man... Terry sure did a beautiful job on his Cornelius. I just went to that link and looked it over again. I've seen a lot of Cornelius compressors since that post. Some on Ebay and other places. None of them looked anywhere near as nice as Terry's. Hey Terry! Fill some dang tanks and come dive with us at Fortune this Spring! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Hello Eben: Thanks for the kind comments about my compressor. So far this is turning out to be a bummer of a winter without any Sea Hunt 2018 to be planning and getting ready for. :( Hopefully this coming dive season I'll be able to get up to Fortune to dive with you guys; not sure about spring but hopefully during the early summer when it's warmer; especially the water. I'm already drying out and the thought of twin 50's, Voit VR1 and the bathtub aren't sounding too bad! :roll: :lol: Merry Christmas to you! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

AdamL

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 am

Thanks for the reply's, i have been reading what i can find and i got a copy of the manual from the download section, Today i got the fittings to attach a 1/8" NPT MicroBore line to it and pumped it up to 500PSI to listen for leak, couldn't hear any. So i let it run but for some reason it was was runing for about 10 minutes and had just reached 1000PSI (according to the gauge)... I couldn't seem to get it any further unless its EXTREMELY SLOW... I know it has to reach a equilibrium with my rifles air tank check-valve before it can fill the tank (witch at this time is ~100bar or 1400psi. I have read that with a pump that fills at 1.7 CFM it will fill my tank in about a minute... So i am thinking somethings wrong...

Can someone help? The only thing i can think of is its just really slow maybe? Idk...

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 pm

When a compressor appears to pump slower at higher pressures it can be a sign of worn piston rings. They let more air past them at higher pressures, with the escaping air entering the crankcase, then being returned to the first stage inlet area via a crankcase vent tube. The return is there to prevent pressure from building up in the crankcase, where it can blow out gaskets and seals, or worse. If can identify a tube connecting the crankcase to the first stage, it can be removed to see how much air is coming from crankcase. Hard to measure without a flowmeter, but "typically" should be no more than 10 % of the rated compressor volume. This may vary from one type compressor to another. So with a 1 cfm compressor it might be in the normal range to have 0.1 cfm of blowby coming from the crankcase. It would typically start out fairly low and increase with the output pressure. These are just approximate numbers for examples so you have something to look for.

Other reasons for less volume output at higher pressures include air leaks to atmosphere around seals, head gaskets, tubing, etc. Also, leaking first stage head valves can let air just puff back and forth at the atmosphere intake. Leaking head valves in the other stages usually cause the air to escape from interstage relief valves to prevent dangerous over-pressure situations that can damage other stages, or worse. Never tighten relief valves to solve a leak... they generally leak only because they are doing their intended job. You must first determine the cause of leak and measure the interstage pressures to compare to compressor specifications. Automatic or manual moisture drain valves can also leak more at higher pressures causing the results you report... but those could be heard leaking when you shut off the compressor in the case of manual drains.

Leaking air is often difficult to detect since machine noise easily covers it, especially in smaller cfm units like this.
Good luck!

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Do you need a fan guard for your compressor?

I have a round one about 11.5" inside diameter from a disassembled Olmeva compressor that I will sell by the individual pieces. I'll take some photos later if interested. Post here or contact me by email. You can use the envelope link on the bottom line below the avatar.

Return to “Compressor Talk”