Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
UncleLars
First Name: Lars

Royal Master Low Serial Number...

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:33 am

Came across an auction for a Royal Master with a serial number that was lower than the range given on the regulator identification page on Vintage Double Hose site (#1080-3083). The number in the image was serial #1078. I was wondering what exactly to make of this and whether there exists a key to serial numbers that determine manufacture time period? Is it common to find serial numbers outside the range, thus extending them, or is it a red flag? Thanks.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Royal Master Low Serial Number...

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 am

Serial number records have mostly been compiled by later researchers like Phil Nuytten and Mark Howell. Records from US Divers don't exist or were destroyed in a fire during the 70's as I understand it.
Finding one outside of the range of what is recorded is not unusual and I'm sure as time goes along and the internet makes the world smaller more will be added to the rolls.
A couple of back issues of HDS magazine really help with the study of the history of the Aqua Lung. Number 42, Winter 2005, Volume 13, Issue 1 and Number 34, Volume 11, Issue 1 are a great place to start and may be available in their backorder catalog.
I'm not aware of any in depth studies of the Royal Master or Royal Aqua Master.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”