swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Another dive shop lost.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

tripplec wrote:Are there any magazines today about diving and not just restoring nature back to the sharks and penguins?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
I think this forum is about as close as your going to get. Thank heavens .... and Bryan, that we have it!

Jim

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm

swimjim wrote:
tripplec wrote:Are there any magazines today about diving and not just restoring nature back to the sharks and penguins?

I think this forum is about as close as your going to get. Thank heavens .... and Bryan, that we have it!

Jim
Agreed. I had to start my own Facebook page, Outcast Divers, to talk diving. Sadly, it too was over run with metroism. And even on the vdh general forum, I refrain from posting my diving shananagans. Not sure they are worth taking up valuable cyber space that Bryan has to pay for.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm

It's miller time here so I'll respond when I have a keyboard...no way would it make sense if I tried to do it from tablet. :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Just so everyone is clear......On the VDH forum you call a spade a spade. You are welcome and encouraged to speak your mind. This is not a forum with a "safe space".....What I will not tolerate are discussions about politics or religion....We will not take shots at each other personally either. This is a forum dedicated to sharing factual information with some comedic aides every now and then.
There are no "feelings" monitors here as there are on most forums these days so have a good time.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 am

I did practice buddy breathing a double hose once, Ron. Back to your earlier article. My aunt felt uncomfortable safety wise diving with a double hoser. So I explained it to her the way my New Science Of Skin And Scuba manual explained it. We went down 20 or so feet and practiced coming up. She then felt ok about diving with me. But I'm still wondering about buddy breathing with a DSV. If I roll it under during the handoff, it shuts off. If I roll it over hand, it will free flow which isn't bad, but I wonder if it will get water in with the mouth piece pointed up during the free flow and choke the receiver. Something I need to play around with. Ideas?

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 am

Do you really not understand how a DSV is supposed to be used or are you just being obstinate?

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 am

Bryan wrote:Do you really not understand how a DSV is supposed to be used or are you just being obstinate?
Well, I understood it to be a valve to shut the air off on the surface so I no longer have to use the rubber plug. Or underwater if Im taking it out of my mouth. And the purge passage to blow out the water. With a panicky diver I wouldn't want to try shutting it off for the handoff. If I completely blew a simple concept, I'll re visit the dsv posts. Maybe I'm just trying to use vintage techniques with modern gear that don'tmix well.

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:40 am

Ok, let me ask one more question to finish off my lack of understanding. It was designed to rotate on and off fairly easily, right? For instance, in my garage I lay it over my shoulders dsv in my mouth, reach behind my head and lift the can up to my shoulder blades with hoses curved like they would be underwater and the dsv rotates closed. Does NOT do this underwater of course. And the other time I mentioned when I lifted my tank over my head under water and it rotated closed.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 am

Some divers comment it opens too easy, some say too hard.
I have O rings available with a slightly higher profile which will make it harder to open and close. I strongly suggest using the new worm drive clamps if you do change the O-rings. They clamp tighter and the thumb perch helps with leverage when opening and closing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks Bryan, I might change that. More for the new clamps. I don't remember the cause, but the zip tie that came on the mouthpiece when it arrived did slip on one hose losing my perfect mouthpiece alignment. I just twisted it back and kept swimming.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 am

Bryan wrote:Just so everyone is clear......On the VDH forum you call a spade a spade. You are welcome and encouraged to speak your mind. This is not a forum with a "safe space".....What I will not tolerate are discussions about politics or religion....We will not take shots at each other personally either. This is a forum dedicated to sharing factual information with some comedic aides every now and then.
There are no "feelings" monitors here as there are on most forums these days so have a good time.
That's what I love about this forum! That said, people really need thicker skins at times, myself included and BEWARE THE SCUBA NAZIS both DIR and Cattle Boat types!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!!!!!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:44 am

Ok, whats a cattle boat diver? Sounds like something I might want to use.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm

A cattle boat diver is a largely helpless minimally trained scuba diver only capable of making dives when he slovenly arrives at a six pack (six passenger) dive boat and follows a dive master. He or she could not, without assistance, plan, prepare and execute their own dives. Primarily found in warmer waters.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Ha. Helped finish training a couple of those. By finish, I mean getting dive shop rush certs to finish a dive.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Ron wrote:A cattle boat diver is a largely helpless minimally trained scuba diver only capable of making dives when he slovenly arrives at a six pack (six passenger) dive boat and follows a dive master. He or she could not, without assistance, plan, prepare and execute their own dives. Primarily found in warmer waters.
I like that description. To add to the definition, a subset are also perfectly capable of telling you what you are doing wrong that doesn't comply with the proper, correct and sanctified procedure they learned the weekend they got certified, although they themselves are incapable of putting procedure into practice. Been buddied up with loads of 'em over the years. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”