swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Porta Sub on Steroids

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Eric just clips his scooter off to a "D" ring on his harness and swims with it like a sling tank.

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Turn it around to blow away silt and sand and look for relics.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:33 am

swimjim wrote:Eric just clips his scooter off to a "D" ring on his harness and swims with it like a sling tank.
- Oh Ha Ha... Man Mountain Eric has a D-Ring for everything and can swim just fine with Twin 130s, a TriMix tank, a Bailout bottle, maybe a kitchen sink tied on just to make it interesting! :)
- Actually, the UV-26 truly is weightless once you get it in the water... So clipping it might work fine. Come to think of it, there is already a clip in the carrying band that I was wondering what it was used for... Probably just what you are suggesting Jim.
crimediver wrote:Turn it around to blow away silt and sand and look for relics.
- Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am

SurfLung wrote:
crimediver wrote:Turn it around to blow away silt and sand and look for relics.
- Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of. :)
When you bring your fleet to FLA watch your 6 cause excavating with a scooter is not allowed in some areas. :shock:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

crimediver
Master Diver

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Then I am pretty sure they would not like my blaster off my jet-drive outboard either. Good for moving sand.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 am

Here is Surflung and his first open water testing of the new scooter. Looked like he was having a blast.

[video]https://youtu.be/g1G8YYQNNGA[/video]

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 pm

- Hey! Thanks Ron! For shooting that video and posting. I was learning how to fly the UV-26 Scooter one handed and wasn't quite doing it right yet. You can see me reaching to grab the left side of the propeller guard and holding the handle sort of on the side. Later, when I flew all the way around the pond, I started getting a better feel for it.
- How to Fly a UV-26 Scooter with One Hand: This scooter has only one handle. It has a tow line that clips to your crotch strap and connects to the sides of the propeller guard. The handle positions straight up and down on top for straight and level flight. To turn left, you rotate the handle/scooter to the left and pull back... Like banking an airplane and pulling back on the stick. To turn right, you rotate the handle/scooter to the right and pull back. To just go up and down, you pull back or push forward just like you would operate the stick in an airplane. The towline takes the work out of holding on.
- Wow that was fun. Ron and I tried it with him holding onto my tanks as I drove. That didn't work so well... too much drag. Later Eric arrived and told us how to tow by holding onto fins. I towed Jill that way and it worked very well. On one of the dives, I "flew" the scooter all the way around fortune pond at 60 feet deep. Visibility was fantastic, I was cruising along the edges of cliffs and could see the bottom way down below. The sensation of flying was wonderful.
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

2018 Update
- After maintaining the UV-26 Batteries all winter, it was nice to finally USE it again on our May 11-12 trip to Fortune Pond.
- Holy moly this thing has power! I used it full speed for 30+ minutes, two different dives... Both while towing my buddy Rich. We flew the complete circumference of Fortune Pond both times. Depths were 60-80 ft. So far no problems. I just charge it up and fly it.
- We used the Hold-Onto-My-Ankles method for towing a passenger. The driver (me) is clipped from my crotch strap to two pivot points on the sides of the propeller cowl. The prop wash goes right past my chest, parallel to the direction of travel. I think my passenger Rich didn't create much extra drag because he was pretty much in my "Draft".
- Visibility was over 85 feet at Fortune Pond so the sensation of flying with the UV-26 Scooter was very much enhanced.
SurfLung

Return to “General Discussions”