Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Photobucket

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 pm

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, Photobucket has decided to force anyone with a photobucket account who would like to link their images to other websites, like ours, 400 dollars per annum. Obviously, none of us are going to do that, so VDH is currently working on a solution so that we can all post our pictures without being extorted by Photobucket. Obviously, the entire Internet is in an uproar as PB pretty much just shut down every single forum's picture hosting down.

No matter which solution we source, it will require lots of manual editing of the forum, coffee, listening to the Smiths, and swearing on our part.

To quote my old boss, "Semper Gumby."
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Photobucket

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I needed something else to work on .....Thanks Photo Bucket :cry:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 am

I remember about three years ago, everyone was saying how "cool" fricken Photo F@#Ket was. This crap they've pulled is more proof of what the old wisdom of the phrases that said; " If it seems too good to be true, it isn't." or "There ain't no "free" lunch." I am so glad I didn't dump a bunch of pics on their turd site! :evil:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 am

I used Photo Bucket for about ten years and it was a great service. They probably just got an MBA in the wrong place who knew better. Sad to see a decent service go to pot like that, but that's progress.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am

Ok - I've been using them for about 15 years - they are dead to me now. they sleep with the fishes

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver
First Name: Jack

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am

This is why I've always used flickr - it doesn't redirect you back to the source page and take forever to load. And it certainly doesn't do things like what photobucket's doing!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:50 am

dukenougat3d wrote:This is why I've always used flickr - it doesn't redirect you back to the source page and take forever to load. And it certainly doesn't do things like what photobucket's doing!
Do they offer a guarantee that they won't do what Photobucket did? Even if they did, it's not worth the time it took you to read it.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

- At first I thought this is probably something that will come to a reasonable solution after the dust settles. But, seeing how angry it has made everyone, it impresses me that PhotoBucket had to expect it was going to infuriate everyone and they obviously didn't care. Someone over there is thinking, "Who cares if we lose customers who don't pay us anything?"
- But placing the subscription fee so high is kind of puzzling. It's like they really don't want us to subscribe. I mean, they could have explained why they can't do it for free anymore, ask for a reasonable subscription with a deadline, and not make everyone angry.
- I found an explanation on line where the head of Photo Bucket was saying their advertisement supported business model wasn't working. In other words, they are losing money and looking for alternative sources. Perhaps they are more desperate than we realize?
- Here's the quote I found, "John Corpus, CEO of Photobucket, said that historically the company “relied heavily on advertising revenue but that major industry-wide changes in the advertising space have greatly impacted Photobucket, including the rise of ad blockers and the Company’s explosion of 3rd party hosting that generates zero revenue.”... “This model is no longer sustainable,” Corpus added.
- Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting.
- You'd think something inexpensive could be worked out... Maybe a pop-up asking for a $1 subscription from both forum contributors and viewers. At least try something like that. They say they have 100 Million registered users... That's just the forum contributors. There's $100 Million they could possibly make just from something like that.
- I sure hope something can be worked out.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

SurfLung wrote:- At first I thought this is probably something that will come to a reasonable solution after the dust settles. But, seeing how angry it has made everyone, it impresses me that PhotoBucket had to expect it was going to infuriate everyone and they obviously didn't care. Someone over there is thinking, "Who cares if we lose customers who don't pay us anything?"
- But placing the subscription fee so high is kind of puzzling. It's like they really don't want us to subscribe. I mean, they could have explained why they can't do it for free anymore, ask for a reasonable subscription with a deadline, and not make everyone angry.
- I found an explanation on line where the head of Photo Bucket was saying their advertisement supported business model wasn't working. In other words, they are losing money and looking for alternative sources. Perhaps they are more desperate than we realize?
- Here's the quote I found, "John Corpus, CEO of Photobucket, said that historically the company “relied heavily on advertising revenue but that major industry-wide changes in the advertising space have greatly impacted Photobucket, including the rise of ad blockers and the Company’s explosion of 3rd party hosting that generates zero revenue.”... “This model is no longer sustainable,” Corpus added.
- Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting.
- You'd think something inexpensive could be worked out... Maybe a pop-up asking for a $1 subscription from both forum contributors and viewers. At least try something like that. They say they have 100 Million registered users... That's just the forum contributors. There's $100 Million they could possibly make just from something like that.
- I sure hope something can be worked out.
Or they just want to Crash it and part it out after bankruptcy!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm stubbornly holding out hope that we can hold them hostage. I'd even consider paying a modest fee, but it's like their intent was to run us off. Don't they realize what happens when you piss off the entire Internet?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I deleted all of my photos and data on Photobucket and closed my account. I managed to move some to Post Image.

https://postimages.org/

This site is fairly easy to use, simple and free and is much like Photobucket was more than a decade ago.

This action by Photobucket blew a huge hole in the inter-web forums for sure.

James

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 am

Is Photo Bucket Back?
- I was just updating an old thread and noticed all of the old Photo Bucket photos were visible again. They have a water mark advertising Photo Bucket but they are just as visible as when I first posted them. Maybe PB has finally found a workable answer to whatever their problem was. :)
SurfLung

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 am

A year plus after the fact is a little late. Like many, if not most, I expunged my account and deleted all that I could rather than give my photos away.

Not just SCUBA, but every forum I belong too and use for information has been wreaked by Photobucket holding the images hostage. I refuse to play that game and just deleted everything I could.

I would have paid a reasonable hosting fee but not enough per year to annually buy a new Kraken. :evil:

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue May 28, 2019 5:25 am

Photobucket=F__K IT!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Just Re-Upped for PhotoBucket...
- I figured the new management of PhotoBucket deserves a break. So, I took them up on their $5.99/month offer of a TON of storage space. Above is one of my old pictures i still had stored on PhotoBucket. It's kind of fun to go back over there and look at all the fun stuff I did in the early years of building my Vintage Equipment Collection.
SurfLung

Return to “General Discussions”