Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

For all you looky lous.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I ran into fellow VDHer Tripplec, AKA Chris. We didn't get a chance to dive double hose, which was my fault because of course I had to interview 2 potential new employees today for my day job, which thereby limited my ability to scam out of work on a weekday, which as a consultant I categorically reject. Anyway, he had great things to say about Herman, BT, Greg "the lung" Barlow, and many others on here. He had a DAAM with a Phoenix and goodies, and I got to check out his way of diving double hose, which was cool.

So, Louie the Lurker, the lesson for you is that we are all pretty good people with a passion for diving. If you are the "guest" on the forum without a login, then stop by, get one, and participate. Contrary to popular belief, although we may give you a good-natured earful of shit, we are not tired of any of your questions. Tripplec and I had pizza, told lies, and I even got to show him the Kraken, a genuine as issued NONMAG, and the secret squirrel new prototype VDH single hose. We even talked about Regulator Savvy for hours like two old Jewish women trying to order at a NYC deli.

If you get a chance, visit with folks from the vintage diving community. I'm probably going to drive down to Oregon, which I apparently can barely spell, and Chris and I are going to go diving at some point in the future. I'm also going to force him to take my vintage equipment diving class if I have to give it to him for free, which I probably will. I would like to clarify that my last sentence referred to the class.

So, like Henry Rollins says in the song Liar, try to mix with us animals. In all seriousness though, stop by, ask questions, get a hard time, and learn about vintage diving. The old people are a little crotchety, the 5 of us who are "young men" are maybe a little overly enthusiastic, and the hippies are already run off...so get you a login and type stuff. If you are truly lucky, Captain Tom will teach you how to rebuild a regulator over the phone in his charming Louisiana accent and you just might learn something.

From the ministry of truth (minitruth),

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: For all you looky lous.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Okay Ron,

Who is Louie the "guest" Lurker, and what did I miss? :?:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Bronze06 wrote:Okay Ron,

Lots of folks lurk on VDH and never actually sign up or log on. Ron in a roundabout way was asking them to jump in with us, be part of the group and participate/contribute to the forum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 pm

It was awesome to meet you Ron. And a great opportunity for me to pick apart the new single hose and talk about the differences in old and new stuf. This trip has been a blast. If you ever do make your way to southern Oregon, hit me up. Sadly our good vis is you worst vis. But maybe we can take my boat out which is named The Sinkable II. Love the water up here in north Washington. Will have to bring my kids when they are diving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Bryan wrote:
Bronze06 wrote:Okay Ron,

Lots of folks lurk on VDH and never actually sign up or log on. Ron in a roundabout way was asking them to jump in with us, be part of the group and participate/contribute to the forum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Bingo. Apparently, my written communication somehow turned into a Hunter S. Thompson novel at some point.

Get a login, and be a part of the group.

There. :)

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:17 pm

tripplec wrote:It was awesome to meet you Ron. And a great opportunity for me to pick apart the new single hose and talk about the differences in old and new stuf. This trip has been a blast. If you ever do make your way to southern Oregon, hit me up. Sadly our good vis is you worst vis. But maybe we can take my boat out which is named The Sinkable II. Love the water up here in north Washington. Will have to bring my kids when they are diving.

You too man! Sorry I couldn't get out of my day job :(

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

slonda828 wrote:
Bingo. Apparently, my written communication somehow turned into a Hunter S. Thompson novel at some point.
Song of the sausage creature......real words
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Came across this today Ron searching my FB. We were talking about it after pizza. You had an explanation for the hard exhale through the garden hose back flow valve, but I dont remember what it was. It also has one of the stainless braided water hoses from under my kitchen sink hooked up to the bc hose. I used to make them to bug the divers that preach even for a 50' dive, you need all new main stream dive gear or you will die. I had quite the reputation at the dive shop for a while. Image

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

tripplec wrote:Came across this today Ron searching my FB. We were talking about it after pizza. You had an explanation for the hard exhale through the garden hose back flow valve, but I dont remember what it was. It also has one of the stainless braided water hoses from under my kitchen sink hooked up to the bc hose. I used to make them to bug the divers that preach even for a 50' dive, you need all new main stream dive gear or you will die. I had quite the reputation at the dive shop for a while. Image

I'll bet they cringe when you show up! Do they ever lock the dive shop front door before you can get out of your car?

Here's one of my "drive-em-crazy" rigs. I actually once loaned it to one of our divemasters for a shallow river dive after his new super duper multi-swivel 5-hosed reg blew a high pressure seat. It was the least I could do... unfortunately I sold him his super duper the week before. :lol:
Aqua-Rod Snark.jpg
r
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Ha! Is that an air hose running through the garden hose hidden under black tape? I'd dive it. Looks stiff though.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

tripplec wrote:Ha! Is that an air hose running through the garden hose hidden under black tape? I'd dive it. Looks stiff though.

Yes, the original Nemrod hose is still in place, just covered with the garden hose to make the regulator pretty!

And yes, it is stiff. It is necessary to mount the tank valve sideways to get the hose to go around your neck. Don't know why, but not many people want to try it out. :lol:

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

I would dive it.

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

crimediver wrote:I would dive it.
Thanks for the confidence. It works better than it looks, but that's not saying much. :lol:

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 pm

All you guys have taught me, dont judge a reg by its looks. I started out playing with first stages out of the garbage just for fun, then I ended up fixing and diving them. Just because I can. Garden hose and what not.

Return to “General Discussions”