Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

U.S. Divers Service and Repair Videos

Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 am

I have a few new videos uploaded. Hope you will get some good info from them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 71PAowVOYz
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: U.S. Divers Service and Repair Videos

Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm

I watched the USD videos. Highly informative and Bryan does a great job dispelling the myth that regulator repair is akin to brain surgery. Heck, I could do it with only half a brain. Loved the vids. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Thu May 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks Bryan these are great videos. I recently purchased a kit to do an Aquarius from you. The video will be really helpful. I also have a Conshelf XIV I plan on doing.

One question though. I have a couple of Pro Divers that my LDS won't touch. Several people on these forums have mentioned the Pro Diver is almost identical to the Conshelf, any thoughts on doing the Pro Divers?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu May 25, 2017 6:20 pm

SnarkIII wrote: One question though. I have a couple of Pro Divers that my LDS won't touch. Several people on these forums have mentioned the Pro Diver is almost identical to the Conshelf, any thoughts on doing the Pro Divers?
I have never had a copy of the ProDiver manual (but would like one for the archives) I have rebuilt several in the past and best I recall it was the same as the Conshelf.
If you get the basics of servicing diaphragm first stages figured out then it's only subtle differences in assembly and adjustment that makes them different, especially when it comes to USD/AquaLung.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

I could not find anything about the first stage but did find the second stage in my 2001 parts manual. It's the same as the as the conshelf 21 and SE2. The supply hose is listed as a 1/2 hose ( a standard 3/8 one would fit since the second stage end is the same). Is this the first stage that looks like a flying saucer?
Herman

couv
Master Diver

Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 am

Nice job Bryan. I watched several, and I especially appreciated seeing regulators that "needed" to be serviced used in your demonstrations. I've seen other how-to videos demonstrated on new regulators or all nice and clean that my cat could take apart. Using the "real deal" and done in pretty much real time, then seeing a positive outcome is encouraging for anyone.

I also liked the way you talked to the camera as though there was a someone you know present.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 am

I appreciate the positive feedback! When I watch the videos I cringe cause I ramble on like an idiot sometimes but I've been doing them all in one take because my patience with video editing...and my lack of skill are very very limited. But if you watch the video and download the manual I see no reason why someone wouldn't be able to do the same as I did.
Rob sent me a box of crusty Scubapro regulators so those are up next. I'm waiting for a Kraken to show up that needs service so I can do one for it as well.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 am

I've had the opportunity to watch two of the videos thus far. Bryan did an excellent job with the entire production. I own a USD Calypso VI that I purcashed new in 1978 that I need to service. I'll be ordering a service kit soon, and following the video on the process. Great work, Bryan!
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Fri May 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Herman wrote:I could not find anything about the first stage but did find the second stage in my 2001 parts manual. It's the same as the as the conshelf 21 and SE2. The supply hose is listed as a 1/2 hose ( a standard 3/8 one would fit since the second stage end is the same). Is this the first stage that looks like a flying saucer?
Yes this is the flying saucer first stage. I think all the ports on the first stage are 1/2"

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 26, 2017 4:02 pm

My notes on the SEA shows that it uses the slightly larger HP diaphragm and washer that is used on the Legend. I have the kit for them packaged that way already.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 pm

I am pretty sure the Pro/flying saucer uses the same kit as the Conshelf except you need 1/2 orings for the LP port hoses. Odds are the ones on the hoses are fine and if not, they are easy to replace at any time.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Herman wrote:I am pretty sure the Pro/flying saucer uses the same kit as the Conshelf except you need 1/2 orings for the LP port hoses. Odds are the ones on the hoses are fine and if not, they are easy to replace at any time.
According to my notes this SEA takes the larger single ply up diaphragm and thicker washer like the Legend..the space capsule version may not. The HP diaphragm is easy to spot cause AL made it in gray.Image

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 pm

The SEA may use the same diaphragm as the Legend but it is different than the Pro. The SEA first stage (like you show) is like the Legend , the air comes in from the side The Pro is linear like the Conshelf but has a wider end.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Your doing a great job on the videos Bryan! They are to the point and are exactly what people need. I wish I had these a dozen years ago when I started tearing into things. I had the manuals on the bench and literally went through things line by line until I understood it. Being able to see it and have the manuals would have really flattened the learning curve. Well done! :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 am

Herman wrote:The SEA may use the same diaphragm as the Legend but it is different than the Pro. The SEA first stage (like you show) is like the Legend , the air comes in from the side The Pro is linear like the Conshelf but has a wider end.
For some reason AquaLung just couldn't leave the Conshelf be, but had to try to "improve" it with more complicated configurations and new names. :roll:

The only thing wrong with the Conshelf series was not the mechanical configuration, but was the not-so-good HP seat material in the 70's and 80's. At least those have actually been improved to a great degree over the years, and have evolved into generally dependable seats. We used to use them in MR-12 III's when Mares was having so much trouble with the same basic seat as the Conshelf for years and years after AL improved theirs.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”