James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Starting to Tinker

Sat May 20, 2017 6:18 am

Well, I've been lurking for sometime and finally need a little specific help. For a little backstory, I have very limited experience diving (but loved what I have done... less than 1 dive annually!), but I get along well with machines and mechanisms. I had the opportunity recently to help rebuild some SEA MK2 egress air systems and it intrigued me. Me being in need of a hobby at present.... I bought some old regs off of Ebay to tinker with and try to rebuild. (I also plan on getting back in the water in the near future and making it a more regular occurrence!). So far I have rebuilt a Conshelf XII 2nd and bathtub tested it off a SEA MK bottle at 145 PSI IP. Rebuilt but not tested are a Conshelf XI 2nd with the screw on exhaust T, a Conshelf SE 2nd, and an old style SP 108 with the stacked exhaust valves. The fact that I could recognize what they are and get the references to do the work are a testament to the people on this board and SB, and Bryan for hosting the Reference materials. Huge thanks to you all.
To do list now includes Conshelf XI, XII, and SE2 1st stages, a Conshelf SE 2nd, a SP MKV with the five port turret, a SP 109, and a SP 108 HP.
Now for the questions!
Is there a source for replacement poppets for the Conshelf 2nds? My second SE 2nd has a bent poppet stem that I wouldn't want to re-use.
How important is a US cleaner? What I've done so far is water, soap, vinegar, nylon brushes and a lot of elbow grease.... and it seams to work out ok. But I would love an expert opinion.
Can you paint metal 2nd stages, or are chrome and powder coat the only viable options? The old style 108 chrome is exceptionally trashed.
Sorry for the novel,

James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Starting to Tinker

Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am

Vinegar , simple green, water all work great. I have used SALT BUSTER for years with great results.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat May 20, 2017 1:20 pm

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I rarely ever use it.

I use vinegar to get read of verdigris. I actually use white tooth paste and an old tooth brush to clean any old silicone grease or any other deposits and to lightly polish the parts. It works great.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

James
Lung Diver

Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Sorry about the long delay responding... Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know of a source for Conshelf poppets?

Thanks,

James

James
Lung Diver

Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 pm

and of course now I see the square shank poppets in the store... Doh!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 pm

luis wrote:I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I rarely ever use it.
I know it's overkill bit I've always used 20% CLR cleanser to 80% water in my ultrasonic cleaner and check it every few minutes. I get great results. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
luis wrote:I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I rarely ever use it.
I know it's overkill bit I've always used 20% CLR cleanser to 80% water in my ultrasonic cleaner and check it every few minutes. I get great results. Mark.

The CLR works great for me too. As a test to the possibility of damaging chrome plated brass I left an extra port plug in the solution overnight, and it caused no damage to the chrome.
The older I get the better I was.

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Sat May 27, 2017 6:16 am

I've had very good results with a 15 min soak in 50:50 white vinegar and water, a scrub with bronze wool around any really tenacious verdigris then into an ultrasonic machine containing Simple Green Crystal diluted 1:10 for 10 min.

I used to just use plain water with a squirt of dish washing detergent, but the Simple Green Crystal treatment is so dramatically better I'm using it for ALL my US cleaning jobs!

Active Ingredients:
Water, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium N, N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate Sodium Carbonate, Citric Acid
http://simplegreen.com/industrial/produ ... degreaser/

Almost impossible to get Salt Buster here in Australia... when you can find it prices are exorbitant :cry:
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

couv
Master Diver

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Fibonacci wrote:.....Almost impossible to get Salt Buster here in Australia... when you can find it prices are exorbitant :cry:
I use phosphoric acid (about 8 %) with a little detergent and I'm very happy with the results. If I ever run out, I'll try Saltbuster. BTW Fibonacci, have you looked at this site?:
http://www.saltx.com/saltx_world_australia.htm
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 pm

couv wrote:
Fibonacci wrote:.....Almost impossible to get Salt Buster here in Australia... when you can find it prices are exorbitant :cry:
I use phosphoric acid (about 8 %) with a little detergent and I'm very happy with the results. If I ever run out, I'll try Saltbuster. BTW Fibonacci, have you looked at this site?:
Thanks for that link Couv, had been quite happy with 50:50 white vinegar and water up until the incident with chrome lifting on a corroded SP MK5 so will chase up.

For the Phosphoric Acid option, do you buy it neat from a chemical supply place and dilute it or use a product already with 8% concentration?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

couv
Master Diver

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Fibonacci wrote:
couv wrote:
Thanks for that link Couv, had been quite happy with 50:50 white vinegar and water up until the incident with chrome lifting on a corroded SP MK5 so will chase up.

For the Phosphoric Acid option, do you buy it neat from a chemical supply place and dilute it or use a product already with 8% concentration?
Bought food grade 85% on eBay and add water and a little detergent.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/950-ml-of-85-Fo ... SwxcRW-~Nc
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”