Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

My new vintage gears blog

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm beginning this new thing of blogging, the topic is Vintage Dive Gears - couldn't be anything else of course - with a special focus on restoration projects I have undertaken.

I have included as many macro-pics as I could, to showcase the different steps and the results obtained.

More than probably useless for most of you guys, though it might give ideas to new joiner like me of what is doable with limited means and time.

I hope you'll enjoy the reading!

Stephane

https://www.whatmattersiswater.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: My new vintage gears blog

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 pm

Stephane,
That was interesting to read, and you did a nice job on the rebuilds! Keep up the good work. :D
The older I get the better I was.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 am

Brilliant. Very interesting read.

Squidlips
Diver
First Name: Ken

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Good stuff.....Looking forward to more!

Thanks for sharing!

8dust
Master Diver

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Very nice, enjoyed it, Stephane!

and thanks for making it available in English :) After many years in primary & secondary school, the sum-total of my Spanish extends to "Is Susan home? May I go to the bathroom? & I want my keys." of course, if pushed, I can probably also manage variations on a theme such as: "Is Susan in the bathroom? I want the bathroom key. I want Susan. May I go to Susan's bathroom?" Sadly, the only response I'm likely to understand is a Si or a No....

Is your dive buddy is the video your daughter? I've eased my now 15-year old son into increasingly more adventurous dives the last 2 summers although he is not yet certified. Not sure which written test will prove more ultimately challenging... PADI OW, or Driver's License... :roll: :lol:

Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Re: My new vintage gears blog - SOS DECOMETER

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks guys, happy this post interested you and thanks a lot for your support!!!

Here is my last post about the SOS DCP decometre, I hope you'll find this interesting as well - "SOS DCP Bend-o-matic or game changer?"

https://www.whatmattersiswater.com/sing ... g.comments

For Fred, yes she is my 14 years old daughter, she is certified PADI OWD and CMAS 1 star and she is fan of VDH diving!!! I have no idea why!!! :D :D :D

Cheers!!

https://www.whatmattersiswater.com

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:33 am

Really cool Blogsite Stefane!!! Love the Green "Trademark" story!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

hirolazuli
Diver
First Name: Miguel

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 am

Nice write-up to read. :o

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 am

Stephane, I just read your article on the SOS and enjoyed it greatly! I too am a survivor of hundreds of dives with the "Bend-O-Matic" from early 70's to about 1983 or whenever the big electronic brick came out. I used it conservatively and never had a decompression problem. I only knew one person that required a chamber trip after using one, but I'm not so sure he was paying attention to what was commonly considered the proper use of the SOS. He also had taken a previous hit while using dive tables, so maybe he wasn't doing that right or was just a little more susceptible to Nitrogen problems than some of us.

I can't help but wonder how many people took hits that were diving on the tables (and maybe misunderstanding the proper use) as compared to on the SOS.
I still have my original one, and occasionally make shallow dives with it just for fun and to enjoy the strange looks and comments. I guess I ought to do some dives comparing it to my modern dive computers.

Looking forward to reading more of your blogs!
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”