floatingpi
Lung Diver
First Name: Mike

Info needed on Nemrod Spear Shafts

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:22 pm

I got my hands on a clipper speargun from nemrod. Seems to be in really good shape for its age. I tried to pump it up and it seems to hold air. I am just missing a spear shaft for it. Does anyone have any information on these shafts? Is there a modern equivalent that I could use to get it functioning again? Thanks again for the help.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Info needed on Nemrod Spear Shafts

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:33 pm

I think all the Nemrod Clippers used the same end on the barrel end of the shaft so even if you found one that was too long it could be cut down pretty easily by a machinist.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

I have been watching ebay. There is one however it is too short. Anyone know if any modern ones would fit? From some of my searching seems like 6mm might work?

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Congratulations on your Nemrod Clipper... an iconic 60's speargun.
They are very nicely made and quite easy to get back into working order so long as the piston seals are still OK. Supplies of those dried up 20 years ago, and no-one to my knowledge makes replacements :(

Shaft length depends what model Clipper you have, they all used 9mm diameter shafts with a proprietary endcap... with a M7 internal thread.
Not a standard shaft diameter these days, and very heavy.
I need to measure some of mine and get back to you...

You could use a current 8mm dia hardened SS shaft but then Spear Guide #378 that fits inside #4639 Muzzle Body Front would have too much play 0.5mm per side. Could easily get a new bush turned up out of 316 Stainless to be a loose sliding fit on the 8mm shaft.

The smallest Clipper I looks very cool and 007 but doesn't have enough power to propel the spear very far at all.

The medium sized Clipper II really packs a punch when all the o-rings have been changed, the oil has been replaced with low friction synthetic 5W motorbike fork oil and the barrel pumped up to around 30 BAR... they also recoil HARD overcoming the inertia of the heavy standard shaft.

Only major issue is they are negatively buoyant after firing and drop like a rock into the sand which can then get into the barrel and score it. Also line retention using the rubber (and usually perished) #3792 Line Holder is very poor. Late model Clippers had a much improved integral line release in the lower part of the trigger guard.

More modern pneumatic spearguns like Mares float after firing and use 6mm or 8mm shafts.

Spearfishing on SCUBA was once legal in Australia in the earliest days but hasn't been for many years, so I fired my fully restored Clipper II a few times while snorkelling then went back to band guns!
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:41 am

Fibonacci wrote:
Shaft length depends what model Clipper you have, they all used 9mm diameter shafts with a proprietary endcap... with a M7 internal thread.
Not a standard shaft diameter these days, and very heavy.
I need to measure some of mine and get back to you...
OK rechecking:
All shafts are 9mm diameter
Mini Clipper uses a 525mm length shaft
Clipper I uses 780mm
Clipper II uses 805mm

Proprietary endcap with M6x1.0 thread
Speartip end has M7x1.0 thread

If you buy a shorter vintage Nemrod shaft on eBay or Craig's List it would be quite easy to get another longer shaft made up out of some 9mm 316 SS rod and swap over the original endcap or adapt one of the current 8mm Mares Sten hardened 17-4 PH rods with a new custom Spear Guide to suit the smaller diameter shaft.

Hope this helps...
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 am

All that information helps out a TON thank you very much. I've seen others post on sites that taking apart the speargun is not recommended. Did you manage to replace the o-rings and oil yourself?

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 pm

floatingpi wrote:All that information helps out a TON thank you very much. I've seen others post on sites that taking apart the speargun is not recommended. Did you manage to replace the o-rings and oil yourself?
Stripping the speargun, cleaning out all the 30 yo oily goop and replacing with fresh low friction oil, then changing all the o-rings is the only way of getting one back in service reliably... the old o-rings get harder and develop a set meaning they will no longer seal consistently against pressure.
Yes I replaced them all myself after careful measurement... they are all Metric sizes of course!
The piston seals wear unevenly with the rear one doing all the work... if you are careful you can swap over the relatively unworn front cup seal with the rear one if the seals are still flexible and in good condition. Not a standard hydraulic or pneumatic seal, and all old stock ran out 20 years ago.
The pump seals are also non-standard... and even more scarce than the piston seals! Need to check they are well lubricated with a few drops of fork oil... if shot they apparently can be replaced with two large section o-rings but luckily mine are still OK.

Return to “General Discussions”