Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut Kraken divers in Cozumel 2016

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Jim Bach was kind enough to throw together some of my very amateur video clips of us diving in Cozumel last week.
[video]https://youtu.be/scfzj5xQdAk[/video]
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Argonaut Kraken divers in Cozumel 2016

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:56 pm

I didn't get to go to Coz, but I was able to experience it some through making the video. The quality of the clips was great and that made them relatively easy to work with! I like it when things just fall together. I'm hoping for a better 2017 and maybe I'll get there then! :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Luis, put me on your Cozumel trip notification list! Thanks, Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:52 pm

Another successful trip for all. Despite this being the year of the flooded cameras, I think two flooded, including mine and then a strobe or nearly so for another diver. But, I was able to get my photos, at least until the flood. I have macro capability but that is difficult in a group and drifting in current and people bumping into me, besides, my preferred subject is close focus wide angle, reef scenics, still life.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Best conditions yet, warm, clear, sunny. Current not too bad either, just right.

Oh well, the trusty Nauticam/FIX Canon went TU halfway through the trip. It was my fault, a hurried battery change and wiping the seal with a contaminated rag left fibers behind, that is my diagnosis. The housing was sent in for service and pressure checked good. Nonetheless they will overhaul the housing, replace all seals and pressure check and clean and adjust for the new body. I have two more NEW cameras. But, I am now on the serious hunt for an upgraded rig. Something like the new super fast Sony RX100M5 or maybe a mirrorless Oly OM-M5II or along that lines. I shoot only still, the GoPro rides along for video (boring). My new housing will of course be Nauticam, the premium company in that regard for value and engineering. I will get the new vacuum pump and water detection system.

I put MC with the DM and with the great viz can keep her in the corner of my eye whilst I roam widely over the reef trying to escape the other divers so I can get shots without fins sticking into them :lol: . But it is a lot of work since I am constantly swimming, not drifting and then zooming back to check on MC, I think our longest dive time this year, for me, sucking down all of my air was only an hour and twenty. Such air hogs we all are. :shock: So, it was kinda fun after the camera flooded to just drift along.

Meanwhile, I might consider selling my newly refurbished Nauticam/FIX90 rig. Just saying, I have mixed feeling there because it is an awesome rig and even if I get a new system/rig, this one could still be useful to me. Decisions and all that.

Anyways, Cozumel was wonderful as usual and me and Couv have a scathingly brilliant plan we have hatched (over potent margaritas) for next year, we will do it on the last day in case we get banned :).

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Nice photos James.
If you are thinking about my strobe, I saw the damaged oring before I jumped in so it was not flooded. It missed the dives but otherwise no harm.
Herman

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Herman wrote:Nice photos James.
If you are thinking about my strobe, I saw the damaged oring before I jumped in so it was not flooded. It missed the dives but otherwise no harm.
Herman, yes, thanks, I engjoyed diving with you. Yes, it was your strobe, I had my wires crossed it was Couv with the floods. Not a strobe but he had been bragging about his two Tekna lights never, never, ever flooding and the conversion to LED. Bad thing, they both flooded he told me. I think I had made a similar mistake bragging about my camera. I had not flooded anything since 1984 when I flooded both my Nikonos III and strobe, in Cozumel. :!: I washed them both with alcohol and carried on. That does not happen with digital crap, uh, I mean these consumer devices masquerading as photographic tools.

The sign in sheet there asked ages :roll: and I suppose that is normal outside the USA but I do not like being stereotyped. I can only speak for myself but I ain't your ordinary XX year old. Anyways, the SCC is a great place, friendly, good boats, good DMs, good diving, good all around. Oh, and they would not take my NAUI Advanced Diver card, because it had no numbers on it. So, I gave them my DM card. So, make sure your card has numbers on it. I am sure I could have convinced them but since I had other plastic, why rock the boat, go with the flow.

I love the Devil's Throat dive. In fact I loved all the dives except for the one my camera flooded on :( .

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Nemrod wrote: In fact I loved all the dives except for the one my camera flooded on :( .

Nem
And caca reef.....Pepe's favorite :lol: :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Cool video Jim and Bryan.

Yes, this was the year of the flood. I did manage to flood 3 lights that I never flooded before. It might be time to replace the 30+ year old o-rings. :oops: The other flood victim was a battery case on one of the Maineiac;s computer.

This year saw another fantastic trip to CZM thanks to the efforts of Luis. Great diving, dinning, story telling, and company.

Thanks Luis,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”