uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:25 am

Great write-up Luis, seems like you took the time to think this out and design a simple yet solid DSV. I believe divers using a modern version of the doublehoser like the Argonaut will appreciate this and Bryan may have a hard time keep them in stock. Always enjoy reading your posts, looks and sounds like you had a great trip.
cheers.gif

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 am

Seems the Kraken is complete.

Well done guys, you must be proud

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:27 am

Pedro wrote:Seems the Kraken is complete.

Well done guys, you must be proud
The DSV is a milestone for sure......But there is much more to come for the Argonaut.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 pm

David Haas shared a couple of photos he took in the Philippines a couple of weeks ago. Luis diving the DSV and also showing off the proper placement of a double hose on his back while diving :!:
Luis DSV2.jpg
Luis DSV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

refrat
Diver
First Name: Colin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:00 pm

"Luis diving the DSV and also showing off the proper placement of a double hose on his back while diving :!:"

I don't know how Luis gets it so low!
I use the VDH plate and position the top cam-band on the highest part of the (80 cu/ft) tank without sliding off up the tank shoulder and it still isn't as low as his? I don't see how I could lower it any more unless I only use one lower cam-band and that probably be secure enough!
I use the crotch strap to keep the harness low on the body and the chest strap to keep the back plate snug, works pretty well with the horns being on either side of the base of my neck- but I know that the inhalation resistance can be better if the can was a little lower still.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Try lengthening your shoulder straps.

Photo by David Haas in The Philippines
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 pm

It interesting that we are talking about regulator position on this thread. Well with the new flow diverter I can now adjust the venturi flow very high, which in turns makes regulator positioning a bit less critical. I still have to initiate the flow, but the venturi clearly takes over and delivers air flow while I am inhaling. The diverter directs the flow towards the divers mouth and doesn’t allow any wasted air to bypass and go out the exhaust.

In the picture above, Allan was using a reproduction vintage-style mouthpiece that doesn’t allow to adjust the venturi too aggressively. With a strong venturi, that mouthpiece would allow air to just flow out the exhaust. In any case, in that picture he was trying his old Phoenix with the traditional metal can. The metal can with the rectangular horn base does not allow as strong of a venturi flow as it can be adjusted with the Argonaut can.

I sent Dr Ed several pictures I took of him when he was trying my spare Argonaut with the new DSV. He immediately noticed that he could improve his regulator position and he email me back (we have been emailing back and forth). Ed is a very smooth diver and this will be a very small adjustment for him.

Well, even with this position handicap, he was so impressed with the performance that he ordered a new Argonaut the next day.

Position is always important with a DH regulator, but we have taken one significant step to make it a bit less critical, with a properly adjusted Argonaut in combination with the new DSV (Dive-surface Valve) and flow diverter.

Here are a couple more pictures of Ed.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with my new camera, head down. Trying some macro photography. And with all the different positions I got in, I actually never notice any performance difference when I was head down. Perhaps I was at times distracted, but I tend to pay attention to regulator performance.

Note: these pictures have not been cropped or processed in any form. Some of the subjects are about a 1/4 in size (or less). I had to get real close, head down to take some of this shots. I have to say that I am also very please with my new little point-and-shoot camera. I will post more on this on a separate thread. I don’t want to derail this thread.

Back to the DSV and flow diverter details.

Here are some pictures of the new DSV with the flow diverter. The white flow diverter was just a prototype, but I it is dimensionally OK so I thought it would help to show it in pictures.

Notice in this picture that the flow opening in the inside tube is much larger than the mouthpiece opening. I did a very careful section by section analysis and model to make sure there was no flow restriction and that the transition flow direction change is actually more gentle than without the diverter.

The “V” looking mark is actually an arrow head to indicate the flow direction. This is the exhaust side. You only need to know this if you take it apart. Everything else is symmetrical, but the diverter has an inlet side and an exhaust side.

This picture shows a Viton (brown) O-ring with a partially closed DSV. This is only a transition view. The DSV should be fully open or fully closed during operation.

In this picture you can see the black flow diverter in place, but I had to illuminate it in order to see it. When installed with the mouthpiece valves and hoses, it would be too dark to see it without shining a light into the mouthpiece.

You may notice that the mouthpiece opening is one of the largest in the industry. Of the typical standard regulator mouthpiece, it uses the larger one typically available. This was again optimized to reduced flow resistance.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Herman playing underwater basketball with a bowling ball using the new DSV on his Argonaut....Photos are from a customer using the inexpensive Intova Camera package I've got in the store right now. CLICK HERE
I'll let him elaborate more on what he's actually up to :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Trying out the DSV on Luis' reg was a treat. The operation of the barrel is very smooth, with just the right amount of tension to avoid inadvertent closure. I really liked the little features such as being able to clear the barrel before opening it up, as well as the nifty trick of drying out your hoses back on the boat by starting a free flow, then closing off the mouthpiece to blow the hoses free of any water. I just need to develop the habit of actuating the DSV (especially when putting it in the rinse tank) to keep the hoses nice and dry.
luis wrote: Well, even with this position handicap, he was so impressed with the performance that he ordered a new Argonaut the next day.

Although regulator position is DH 101, I've always been guilty of wearing it just a tad bit high. My rationale was that in a purely horizontal position, the difference between the distance of the main diaphragm and my lungs would be the same. However - as can be seen in the photos - I'm not completely horizontal. That said, I used my PRAM for 2 dives with Luis, then did 2 with his extra Argonaut - while keeping everything else similar (cans ended up same as how I usually wear them), and was able to notice a difference.

I was... amazed!

Let me clarify: I will admit to being a latecomer to the Argonaut Kraken party. For all previous updates from the time the vintage bug bit me with a VDH explorer kit in 2011, I was there. Phoenix nozzle? Check. Silicone hoses and diaphragm? Sign me up. DBE? Yup. Backplate? Yezzir. HPR and updated diaphragm. Gimme those as well. DSV? Yes please. With each update, my old PRAM got closer and closer to being the ultimate rig, that I honestly wasn't expecting the difference to be as palpable as it was to me.
luis wrote: Most of the breathing performance changes are so small that most divers will not be able to notice.

- L. Heros "Argonaut Kraken Specifications" VDH 2015

Each time back on the boat, Luis and I would end up talking mostly about the reg (and occasionally about the dive... :D ). And most of the time, all I could think of was "Wow." Those little tricks you could do - such as diving on your side to get the cans level with your lungs? Didn't need to do that. Using an Argonaut was truly effortless breathing. After trying one out and feeling the difference, I just knew I had to have one.

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:03 am

Here is another picture while I was using the new DSV in the Philippines.

It is always nice to be able to get close to marine life without having bubbles near my face.

I don’t believe these little fish understand the concept of fear (similar to our Damsel fish in the Caribbean), but not having the bubbles and their noise near my face always helps.

Note: my left hose is not green. They are both yellow.

Notice that I like to wear a very low profile frameless mask. My field of vision with this newer style mask is extraordinary. The lens is as close to my eyes as a normal pair of glasses and my peripheral vision side-to-side and up-and-down is the best.

I took the field of view into consideration when designing the DSV mouthpiece. I did not want the mouthpiece tube to block my field of vision and as you can see it doesn’t.

I can look down at my chest and I can look at my sternum strap if I need to adjust it. This new DSV mouthpiece tube is never in the way of my field of view.
Luis

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:23 pm

What a great picture!

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks
That was a selfie.
:)
Luis

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Luis found Nemo! Cool!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

DSV for Kraken

Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Hey guys, what's the word on the new DSV mouthpiece for our Krakens and other great DH's? :?:

Bryan
Plank Owner

Re: DSV for Kraken

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Superlite wrote:Hey guys, what's the word on the new DSV mouthpiece for our Krakens and other great DH's? :?:

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/A ... ry=2220726

DSV's are shipping to me on Wednesday of next week according to what the manufacturer told me on Firday. As soon as I've had an opportunity to inspect some random samples and get the orders filled from the original backers of the project I'll open up sales again in the website store.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”