Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

HOG/Edge gear and VDH

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Rob and I were in Jacksonville today for a meeting with the HOG/Edge Gear folks. Stay Tuned for details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: HOG/Edge gear and VDH

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 pm

WOW!
I swoon with eager anticipation of the results of your endeavor. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:30 pm

SWEET!!!

BTW - that is essentially what I have been diving since I got my Kraken.

Kraken, VDH Plate, HOG wing, Zenith safe second, and HOG SPG....

I have this thing for red....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

lewise
Diver
First Name: Lewis

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:10 am

Nice!

Too bad they don't make the Duroc anymore! I managed to snag one used but I have to admit that the Zenith second stages are pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:09 am

It's a pretty big outlay of cash to get started with HOG/Edge Gear but if the VDH members would take a look on line and find the best price on the HOG gear they want to buy I'm sure I can meet or even beat the price (by a little) to get my first order together. E MAIL ME THE DETAILS OF WHAT YOU WANT....DO NOT POST IT HERE......E-mail me the details [email protected] and we will work it out and I can place an order in the next two weeks I'm sure.

http://edge-gear.com/
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:58 am

Crickets is all my inbox is hearing........Perhaps it's not time for another gear line at VDH :?: :?:

Dave Houser, one of the instructors up at Divers Supply was instrumental in getting VDH involved with HOG gear. He is also an ardent double hose diver and it's his Argonaut shown in the pictures above. He wrote a nice article about double hose diving and early Florida Springs diving that I thought you guys might enjoy reading. Link Below

Fan Of Sea Hunt

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 am

Bryan wrote:It's a pretty big outlay of cash to get started with HOG/Edge Gear but if the VDH members would take a look on line and find the best price on the HOG gear they want to buy I'm sure I can meet or even beat the price (by a little) to get my first order together. E MAIL ME THE DETAILS OF WHAT YOU WANT....DO NOT POST IT HERE......E-mail me the details [email protected] and we will work it out and I can place an order in the next two weeks I'm sure.

http://edge-gear.com/
Bought a bunch of HOG stuff earlier this year, seemed very fairly priced to me. Good quality, hope the partnership takes off

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 pm

I think this is a good move. HOG/Edge is a progressive company with some really good practices, particularly when is comes to the availability of parts kits. I wish I grabbed a duroc when they were available.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:46 am

Suprisingly I had zero response to my offer.......maybe adding HOG gear to the inventory is not such a good idea after all.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

couv
Master Diver

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Bryan,

Most of us old farts have had more than enough gear for a long time. Perhaps a mention or two on a few of the other boards might bring a few more bites.

Having said that, if you remember last November I was sporting a new Hog wing, so we missed the boat on that one. I see in the above picture the owner of a Hog wing has an offset corrugated hose, where mine is centered and interferes with my can. Does Hog now have a singles wing with the hose offset?

Thanks,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

couv wrote:Bryan,

Most of us old farts have had more than enough gear for a long time. Perhaps a mention or two on a few of the other boards might bring a few more bites.

Having said that, if you remember last November I was sporting a new Hog wing, so we missed the boat on that one. I see in the above picture the owner of a Hog wing has an offset corrugated hose, where mine is centered and interferes with my can. Does Hog now have a singles wing with the hose offset?

Thanks,

Couv
Yes they do. I asked specifically about that and saw both types.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:15 pm

The addition of HOG is an awesome idea, but a "short window - gun to the head" will not reveal the merit of having them available through VDH....

I don't know if you have to do something this quickly regarding a first (or large) order, but it may take some time for the folks here to know the line, appreciate what they have, and consider adding components if it fits their diving (and budget)...

Over the last few years, I have added HOG gear to my collection. A singles wing, a doubles wing, 2 D1 Cold firsts, 4 classic seconds, 2 Zenith seconds, spg's, masks, and probably a few other items..... Unfortunately, it wasn't through you. I'm hoping others will appreciate the line.

Hoping the relationship will prosper, but it needs to be given time...

Thanks for approaching them.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:33 pm

couv wrote:Bryan,

Thanks,

Couv
Completely agree w/ Couv. HOG/Edge is the next generation of the Oceanic/Hollis type of equipment. It's available everywhere, especially with the online discount scuba dealers like Piranha and DGE. I say a better focus for investment and $ outlay would be on the niche vintage/ Argonaut lines. Nobody else has that, become the goto place for supplies. Maybe you could license your reg to those other retailers at some point in the future... like L'Air Liquid did w/Bussoz; albeit without all the patent issues.

I've seen a lot of dive businesses go under by trying to diversify too much, especially in a time when leisure sports have taken such a big hit. Just this last month, both Sport Chalet (the #1 dive retailer in the country by volume and sales) as well as 2 local small dive shops have closed their doors. Both due to the migration of people shopping online. In fact, the owner of Dive California (located at the old NASDS building) told me what did him in was the fact that equipment manufactures do not protect brick & mortar shops any longer, and why should they? Most of their sales are being made online. While he didn't like that fact that his nest-egg had slipped away, he understood you can't compete with fickle consumers and a leisure sport (diving is one) as well as acknowledged he diversified too much with product lines and got upside down on his debt/income ratio. Even with a net 90 on his orders, he still feel far behind. It is a lesson he learned the hard way, same with the new owners of the now bankrupt Sport Chalet.

The rebreather industry is going through this exact issue, no high volume of $10k units being sold in today's economy... the Hollis and Poseidon rigs are being sold on the secondary market for pennies on the dollar. And they were supposed to be the "entry" rigs for the wannabes. Both companies spent insane amounts of $$$ thinking they had the next cool thing divers would want, expensive lesson they have learned,both still in the hole on those.

Stay true to the reason you started VDH... don't blow it with the change of the wind.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Well I did a little more thinking and decided to go ahead and add EDGE / HOG gear to the store. I'm not going to stock a whole lot of things but since they are so close to me special orders are not a problem.

I'll be changing the VDH plate package and the standard harness will be a choice of either the HOG or the Highland/XS Scuba unit with the Deluxe HOG harness as an extra option. Same will go for the bands, Standard nylon, HOG or Highland heavy duty with stainless steel buckles.

BCD options will be HOG 23lb, Dive Rite 23lb or XS Scuba 30lb.

I'm holding off placing my first order till September 1st in the event anyone wants something special. I'll meet any advertised price for HOG/EDGE gear. Please E-mail me if you are interested.

crimediver
Master Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

I have numerous BP/wing set ups. Deep outdoors, OMS, Dive Rite set up's for different types of diving. Last year I picked up a like new HOG 30 pound wing, and BP with harness for a ridiculously low price at a pawn shop. I got it and a Carter 100# lift bag for 75 bucks. I did not need it so I offered half of what they were asking and they said OK so of course I had to buy it. Heck, just the lift bag was worth that.

I was very impressed by the quality and it is now what I use for much of the diving I do when I am using modern gear. I think the gear is worth buying and would recommend anyone to considering to purchase HOG gear.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”