swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Uh, I never saw that???? Sea Hunt Jerry, this means you!!!!!

Mon May 09, 2016 7:58 pm

I've talked to a few people who claim that they never saw what I wrote about a possible Sand Dog 2016. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone besides Bryan and myself actually READS THE FORUM!!!
So here it is one more time. There will be a dive get together at Fortune Pond, Crystal Falls Upper Michigan AUGUST 19th - 21st. AUGUST 19th - 21st..... I will be there. If I have to solo dive and then enjoy frosty beverages made in Milwaukee and perhaps Puerto Rico, so be it. He is what I wrote up...

How about this. Fortune Pond, mid to late July. The Sand Dog event would be held at Fortune Pond itself Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday Morning. July is the one time of year where you have a better then average chance on getting out on lake Michigan and/or Superior. Just like Sand Dog in Florida, a lot of the divers come a day or two early and dive other places other then the main event. Perhaps those interested could do a charter out of Milwaukee and dive the Car ferry S S Milwaukee, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Milwaukee ) or the Prince Willem, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bM3uWDJAk ) .
The water will be cold. No getting around that. Surface, low 60's Fortune Pond, anywhere from the high 40's to the low 60's on Lake Michigan. At depth, low 40's either way. The viz at Fortune will be the worst of the year. That being said, it will FAR surpass any other quarries best viz period. Lake Michigan on the deeper wrecks should be at least 50 feet. Viz of 100 or better in not uncommon.
Base of operation would be in Iron River Michigan about eleven miles from Fortune pond. Crystal Falls where Fortune Pond is located offers little in amenities. There's a nice Mom and pop motel in Iron River that is about $50.00 a night. For those who would like to camp there is Bewabic state park, http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK . Iron River has a decent bar that offers burgers and pizza for Friday night and a Italian place called Alice's restaurant for Saturday night. Alice's does a good Ribeye too, although it's been a bit pricey lately. The service is generally good though. There's a good breakfast joint too just over the hill from the motel. it's not fancy, but it's all there. The midwest is bratwurst country and I could bring a grill and do some for a "shoreline lunch" on Saturday. Maybe I could bring a batch of chili along as well. Anyhow, if there is interest, we'll fill in the blanks and throw something together.

So there you have it.

Jim

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: Uh, I never saw that???? Sea Hunt Jerry, this means you!

Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm willing to make the drive so Jim wont have to dive solo. :D As of now I'm at the firehouse on the 21st but I will be working on a trade.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon May 09, 2016 11:54 pm

Yes Swim Jim i looked it up today and called Eben.He says its his 40th wedding Annivesary and is checking on those dates.
I would like to attend Friday and Saturday,marked my calender.
Jerry :D :) :P

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 am

My 40th wedding anniversary is August 20th so, I'm not able to give a "Fer Shur" commitment. However, the kids are all coming home for the 4th of July and they're talking about celebrating it at that time. But then, Jill was talking about finally taking a week off on our anniversary so we can drive around Lake Michigan and see the dunes and that really clear lake that was in the pharmaceutical advertisement on TV. :shock:

So, there's a good chance I can be there at least a little bit since we'll be driving up that way. I'll start trying to plan it with Jill.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue May 10, 2016 3:06 pm

I Invited Jill ,Ron,and Nanett,so we'll be there!
Might have some Magnum bars on that trip. :D

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue May 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Hey, I knew about the northern mid-west Sand Dog too and I'm planning to be there Jim. I would love to make it for the "pre" dives but will have to see if I can swing the time off. Thanks for taking the lead on this Jim.
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

couv
Master Diver

Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 pm

"I'm beginning to wonder if anyone besides Bryan and myself actually READS THE FORUM!!!"

I have read and understand the memo...... We have to sign stuff like that at work. :-)

Thanks SJ, I doubt I'll be able to make it.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Wed May 11, 2016 11:54 am

Well guys I'm gonna have to pass on this one. My wife's birthday is on the 20th; so our daughters and I will be helping Roxann celebrate that day. But you never know; she might like a "special gift" for her birthday; like you know maybe a trip to Michigan's upper peninsula say to a place like Crystal Falls? :twisted: :lol: If anything changes I'll let you know. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Mike it would be great to see you and dive Fortune pond.Hope you get off work!
I saw a cow driving a car to Illinois one day,it was a cattle lac! :x 8) :evil: :twisted:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed May 11, 2016 4:00 pm

[quote= I saw a cow driving a car to Illinois one day,it was a cattle lac! :x 8) :evil: :twisted:[/quote]

Jerry, can't believe I actually miss your unique humor. Took me weeks of therapy to recover from the barrage of one-liners you told in Florida. I had to alternate between beer therapy and rum&coke therapy just to cover all the bases. Stay well. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 am

Mark you'll never recover!
Roger never has either! :evil: :twisted: :P

8dust
Master Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Would love to make it, but I don't think I can get it in.
Looking forward to that cool water one of these days!

Thanks for putting it together, Jimbo.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Thu May 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Jim,
I have it on the calendar.

Thanks,
Brian

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 am

- Jill and I will be there Friday the 19th as the first stop on our 40th Anniversary Road Trip. I think she's going to dive with us, too... Commemorating a few of our first dates of scuba diving in High School... What-A-Woman! :)
- We'll dive, eat at Alices, and stay over Friday, then Saturday morning we'll hit the road eastward for the UP dunes, Ignace, Mackinac, Traverse City, see if we can find that really clear lake that was in the pharmaceutical commercial, see more dunes, take the ferry ride across Lake Michigan, and then head back home.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon May 16, 2016 3:53 pm

great!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”