monterey1970
Diver
First Name: Andy

New Double-Hose Diver (Monterey)

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Here's a shot of my new Kraken preparing for it's third dive on the Beach Hopper 2, out of Monetery, CA (accompanied by a modern octo and a modern dive computer).

So far, I really like it. I'm still getting used the controlling the inhalation/exhalation resistance, especially when I'm descending. But that just needs a few more dives. Surprisingly, it was only the women divers on the boat who were asking me questions about it. One asked if I just wanted to look like "the guy on 'Sea Hunt'" (nope, but good guess).

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: New Double-Hose Diver (Monterey)

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:47 pm

Lookin good! Make sure the back plate is as high as possible on the tank and therefore the regulator cans sit as low as possible for proper positioning of the regulator between your shoulder blades (or as close as you can get it). What was the water temp at depth off Monterey? Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 pm

I'll second that, raise your plate up a bit more so the curve cutout almost circles the regulator cans. A few more dives and I'm sure you will have it dialed in just right. Thanks for sharing, always good to see divers enjoying their Argonauts.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Way cool! I dove Monterey back in '81. Need to get back some day. Take the advise given. You will be surprised what a little change in position can make with a double hose reg! Have fun and be safe!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:05 am

swimjim wrote:Way cool! I dove Monterey back in '81.
Back in '81 I dove Point Lobos, Cannery Row and the Breakwater a lot. We would bus NAUI Advanced classes up there from Orange County twice a year, diving Jade Cove in Big Sur on the way up. Other times friends and I would line up the night before to get into Point Lobos Park first thing in the a.m. They had a diver/vehicle limit back then. Spent a number of nights camped out in the back of my old '74 Ford Courier on the side of Highway 1. Also dove Monastery Beach a few times. Good memories. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm

monterey1970 wrote:Here's a shot of my new Kraken preparing for it's third dive on the Beach Hopper 2, out of Monetery, CA (accompanied by a modern octo and a modern dive computer).

Surprisingly, it was only the women divers on the boat who were asking me questions about it. One asked if I just wanted to look like "the guy on 'Sea Hunt'" (nope, but good guess).

They were "hitting on you!"

All joking aside, looks nice, Monterey can be chilly but well worth the drysuit for some fantastic dives, especially off the 17 mile drive between Cypress Point and Carmel Bay (sea otters). Post some more pictures if you can, I miss diving up there.

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Monterey1970

Welcome to the world of double hose diving. You've picked an excellent regulator in the Kraken, plus there are many other great regulators out there. If you fancy a vintage unit, I'd suggest starting off with either a US Divers DA AquaMaster, or if you'd rather have a single stage double hose, a US Divers Mistral. Both can be rebuilt with silicone replacing rubber and the DA AM can be upgraded by several new and improved parts that make it nearly as easy to breathe as your Argonaut. We have double hose divers just about all over, California being one of several locales with a good population of us. Again welcome to the tribe.

Keep on diving.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Myxicola
Diver
First Name: Douglas

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Vintage double hose SCUBA community got me back interested in doing SCUBA too! You got hooked on a good thing!
sure glad Arnie Schwarztnegger got SCUBA diving on the list of supported activities for the Presidential Council on Health & Fitness thirty years ago, we can do it when we get old like golf!

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:34 pm

That funny - only the women asked about it. . . The guys look askance at the "rebreather diver, tec wannabe". LOL

Creed
Master Diver

Mon May 02, 2016 4:13 pm

My son, his buddy and yours truly went diving in Lover's Point a few weeks ago. The surf was up, so the kids had trouble getting in. We ended up playing in the surf for a bit before calling it a day. I dove my Kraken. We'll probably be out there next month, too.
Definitely something to be said for a good drysuit for NorCal diving.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon May 09, 2016 4:41 pm

monterey1970 wrote:Here's a shot of my new Kraken preparing for it's third dive on the Beach Hopper 2, out of Monetery, CA (accompanied by a modern octo and a modern dive computer).

So far, I really like it. I'm still getting used the controlling the inhalation/exhalation resistance, especially when I'm descending. But that just needs a few more dives. Surprisingly, it was only the women divers on the boat who were asking me questions about it. One asked if I just wanted to look like "the guy on 'Sea Hunt'" (nope, but good guess).

Monterey1970

Welcome to the best group of Double Hosiacs in the world! In retrospect it is clear that women like large hoses!
Glad you are on board. I never got to dive Monterey, but I was stationed in San Luis Obispo and got to dive off Vandenberg AFB for bugs. COOOOLLDDD Alaskan current which Sitka Diver would just laugh at.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

monterey1970
Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Lookin good! Make sure the back plate is as high as possible on the tank and therefore the regulator cans sit as low as possible for proper positioning of the regulator between your shoulder blades (or as close as you can get it). What was the water temp at depth off Monterey? Mark
Mark, it was about 65. Ironically, I find 65 to be fine for wetsuit diving. Almost everyone else on the Beach Hopper II had a drysuit. I get over-heated on board the boat wearing only wetsuit. I can't imagine wearing all that thermal gear that goes with a drysuit.

One of the women divers told me she thermal undergarments with an electric heater. For what? This was Monterrey, not the Antarctic.

But what do I know? I was only the diver on the boat with a double-hose regulator :D

monterey1970
Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 7:27 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
swimjim wrote:Way cool! I dove Monterey back in '81.
Back in '81 I dove Point Lobos, Cannery Row and the Breakwater a lot. We would bus NAUI Advanced classes up there from Orange County twice a year, diving Jade Cove in Big Sur on the way up. Other times friends and I would line up the night before to get into Point Lobos Park first thing in the a.m. They had a diver/vehicle limit back then. Spent a number of nights camped out in the back of my old '74 Ford Courier on the side of Highway 1. Also dove Monastery Beach a few times. Good memories. Mark
Mark,

Point Lobos now has a diver limit (instead of a vehicle limit). Fortunately, there's no more waiting in your car at 6am. Now you can reserve a spot on their website. I'll be going double hose diving in Point Lobos later in June.

monterey1970
Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 7:29 pm

georgeaustin wrote:That funny - only the women asked about it. . . The guys look askance at the "rebreather diver, tec wannabe". LOL
I think the guys on the boat were too fascinated with their own gear (all those impressive camera kits made my GoPro look so "inadequate").

Either that, or my double hose regulator made them feel inadequate with their spindly little single hose regulators :D

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue May 17, 2016 7:57 am

I tease some of the folks a little bit with the - "ughh, I don't know how you guys dive those single hosers with that nasty fishhooking and the bubbles in your face - it scares the fish!!"

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”