TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Cozumel recommendation

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 pm

I'm planning to head down to Cozumel with the family in tow and was looking for a recommendation for a place to stay. I know there are plenty of experienced Cozumel divers including the Kraken crew. My needs are simple:
1. Somewhere that won't care if I'm diving a DH.
2. Someplace that is relatively clean, with edible food as not to disappoint my better half, who is not diving.

Thanks,

Doug

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Cozumel reccomendation

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Scuba Club Cozumel is use to seeing DH regs, we have a bunch that goes there every year (Nov). It's all inclusive with 3 meals a day that are really good. It's about a mile from town and a short walk to a couple of large stores (for beer or whatever).
Herman

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Ditto
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Another vote for Scuba Club Cozumel!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:52 pm

If you are interested in Scuba Club Cozumel, you can send me an email and I may be able to help you.

Here is their web site:
http://scubaclubcozumel.com/index.php
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Scuba Club Cozumel as others have mentioned is where Vintage Double Hose runs an annual trip so they're used to seeing double hose regulators. I have not been on this trip but it looks like a great time. They're located in a good location, walking distance from two major grocery store (Mega / Chedraui) and a 15 minute walk to downtown. A kind of best of both worlds, far enough away from town to so you're not near all the cruise ship passengers but close enough to still walk to town.

With that being said, most operators will not care what you're diving; They are honestly used to seeing different types of gear. I used to live in Cozumel for a short time and return 4-5 times a year and I have dove with a variety of different operators and friends (Aqua Safari, ScubaTony, LiquidBlue, Deep Blue, Deep Exposure, Aldora, Blue XT Sea, Living Underwater, Cozumel Marine World, just to name a few) with my double hose regulators, nobody has ever really cared. I've never had an operator not allow me to dive or question my equipment. You'll likely get questions from a curious divemaster or customers who are simply interested in your gear.

The operator I normally use and recommend is Aldora Divers. They're a bit more expensive compared to other operators on the island but they tend to cater to more experienced divers, smaller groups. No more than 6-7 on a boat. They leave early (7:30am) so you get back with plenty of time to do stuff in the afternoon and all their boats have twin engines for speed and redundancy. They're also 1 of 3 operators in Cozumel that use high capacity steel tanks (HP100 and HP120s). With HP120s I found them a little long for proper double hose regulator placement (I'm short so they mess up my trim) but HP100s work very well. Average 75-85 minute dive times. Aldora also has their own lodging in the north called Villa Aldora. Basically private suites with full kitchenettes. They have a nice rocky shore (not really a beach) with a ladder/stairs going into water for guests to swim/snorkel.

I don't tend to do all inclusive resorts in Cozumel as I find food is my 2nd joy on the island so it's hard for me to make specific recommendations for the big resorts in the south since I don't have much experience with them. There are tons of cheap and great local restaurants on the island. However if you're bringing non-diving family members like you said then sometimes the southern resorts can be a better option. If you're the type of person that likes to explore and hang out downtown then you're going to either want to rent a car or cough up 20 dollar taxi to downtown if you stay at the at the far southern resorts. If you just want to dive, dive, dive, or sit on beach, going into town is unnecessary but you'll miss a lot of local experiences.

If you other half does not care about being on a beach resort, another good option for accommodations downtown is Casa Mexicana. Impeccably clean rooms, a great breakfast buffet is included and you'll literally be walking distance from all restaurants, bars and the main municipal pier where most dive operators pick up from if you're not staying in a southern resort.

Not knowing your budget there is also Cozumel Palace. Very luxury resort also close to downtown.

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Re: Cozumel recommendation

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Wow - Thanks for all of the replies. I'll digest it over the holiday and make some decisions. R/ Doug

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Scuba Club is one of the best. They cater to divers with 24/7 shore diving, boat operators, crew and dive masters the best. The dive times are on "Mexico time" which is basically according to your profile. Food is outstanding. Best of all is the proximity to town and food stores. I have been to other resorts before, but will only return to Cozumel and stay at SC.

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:49 pm

The first time we went to Cozumel, my wife and I went to Scuba Club Cozumel and we have been going back every year.

I can’t speak first-hand about other resort in Cozumel, but I have looks into them and my impression (from what I have read, etc.) agrees with what macado is describing.

I can only compare SCC to a number of dive resorts in other the Caribbean islands (and the Philippines) and I will say that it is one of the best in a couple of areas: diving and the food. SCC has some great dive masters, which are very capable of helping beginners if needed, but their true specialty is not babysitting newbie’s, but finding the local critters to show their customers.

Notice I mentioned “dive resorts”. IMO, there is normally a huge difference between a "dive resort" versus a "resort that offers diving". My wife and I are both divers and we go for the diving, but that is not for everyone. Scuba Club basically offers two things: great diving and fantastic food.

The rooms are also very comfortable, but they are obviously designed for divers, with hanging place for dripping wet suits, etc. I should also mention the gazebo with hammocks and other relaxing amenities, but you will not find: activities for kids, parasailing, kayaks, a sandy beach into the water, etc.

The clientele of SCC are divers, but many do bring their non-diver significant other. The location in the southern part of town is very attractive for walking and Cozumel is a great, safe place to walk at any time.

One huge advantage of an all inclusive (with great food) is that the food services caters to the diving schedule. The food will be ready when you arrive, you don’t have to go look for it.

The first time my wife and I were at SCC, one day the port in Cozumel was closed first thing in the morning due to weather. The port opened very late and the staff found us all to go diving. I asked if we left so late, were we going to b back for lunch. The answer was: “Don’t worry señor, we take care of our divers. Lunch will be waiting for you.”

Again this is a dive resort that caters to divers, which may or may not be what you and your family is looking for.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:18 pm

I will be at Scuba Club Cozumel from Feb 2 - Feb 7. Diving my PRAM with HPR

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks to everyone who gave me info about where to stay and dive operators in Cozumel.

For future reference, I found Cozumel had many great dining options and therefore elected to stay in a traditional hotel. I booked a room with 2 double beds at Casa Mexicana, which was comfortable for my wife and two children. The room with a nice balcony (for drying dive gear) and a very nice breakfast was $77 per night. It was centrally located in town and close to several dive operators and across the street from the piers.

For dives, I used Aldora Divers, which provided Nitrox (32 and 36) steel 120s and small, fast boats taking a max of 6 passengers, although we usually ran with 4 to 5 divers each day. They offer a 10% cash discount and Cozumel's ATMs are frequently out of service or out of cash, so bring your $$ or pay by credit card.

There is no need for a rental car, unless you want to explore the rest of the island. There were reasonably priced cars ($40/day) available across from Aldora Divers that we used one day to explore the island's eastern shore and the local Mayan ruins.

I took a tour of Scuba Club Cozumel, which I must report was very nice, but because they only offered 3-meal-per-day plans and lacked family rooms, we opted for Casa Mexicana.

I can see why Cozumel is such a popular trip for the VDH crew. It was a pleasant and not too expensive dive destination for the family.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Wed May 03, 2017 5:35 am

SCC -

Aquala1
Lung Diver
First Name: Ty

Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 pm

I can double vouch for Aldora. They really liked my Phoenix Aquamaster.

Return to “General Discussions”