Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Re: Titan II

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 am

My oceanic cdx5 environmentally sealed regulator is due for the yearly service so I decided to take it apart to see what makes it tick. I was appalled at how we've come a short ways in such a long time. aside from a dry IP spring and a dry valve on the inlet it is the same exact thing as my titan R12 I just got done with. same orientation even. even uses a diaphragm. I should measure it to see if it's the same size.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:02 am

I look at it a different way, when you get it right the first time, there is no need to change. The only real advances in first stage design in the last 40 years or so is in the soft rubber parts like seat material and diaphragms. There are only 3 ways all scuba first stages are made, that has been true from the beginning and remains so today. You can put fluff around the design- add parts or make parts out of exotic materialand do lots of sales hype....Atomic is great for that but in the end the basic design is the same. In the end, all that does is make the reg more expensive and shorten it's life due to parts unavialabily.That is one of the reasons I just love those who think the older gear is junk and will not perform as well as the modern gear. They have no clue the internals are the same as my 50 yo reg. That said, second stages are somewhat of a different matter. There have been improvements made but once the basic balanced second stage can out, there has been little improvement since then. If anything, they have gotten worse due to cheaper and ligher materials, the design is good but material selection is poorer. The special LP hose on some of the Apeks/AL seconds is a prefect example. No way I would have one of those regs simply due to the special hoses.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 am

the thought occurs to me that by placing an inexpensive external diaphragm and plastic plunger on the end to keep water away form the IP adjusting spring and nut they can save money by using a cheaper quality stainless spring and pass it off on the customer as an upgrade charging more money for something that is costing less to make in the long run.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:46 am

That is kind of what happens with the plastic second stages, but not with the springs.

The plastic second stages are much cheaper to make, but they are sold as a light weight improvement.

You get the same spring no mater if you have an environmentally sealed regulator or not. Even the springs inside the regulator have to be made of stainless.

The stainless used for spring material has to have specific properties and they are not always the most corrosion resistance materials, but the spring function is more important than corrosion resistance. As far as I know, even regulators sold with titanium bodies have to use stainless steel springs.

I have converted all my Conshelf and Aqua Lung Titan to dry environmentally sealed first stages. They just stay much cleaner and are very resistant to freezing.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

With all the talk about the TItan II , I picked one up, without the reserve valve. To start my rebuild, where can I get a schmematic. I searched in the manual section and have come up empty so far.
Thanks
Reddiver

Chris
Master Diver

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 am

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/ViewPl ... T=N&Type=F

mine was the R-12J which I think is the same as yours except the reserve. I thought it breathed very nice with new diaphragms. I like the looks of it and would dive it more except I use a double hose most of the time. I have to come clean though. I have complained about my new Oceanic for a year. I just had the dive shop do a yearly service on it just for good measure and now it's my best breathing single hose. Guess it would help if Oceanic would put things together right from the factory. dive shop owner said one of the orings or gaskets In the second stage looked funny in that knob on the side which now actually makes it easier to breath. I just thought it was for looks before.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 am

The link did not work for me. Go to the manuals section and download the Voit manual. Its on the second page of the folders and about the last file. The AMF section is in the back of the manual. By the way, the Titan II and the Trieste are the same body with some exterior parts changed/added.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:50 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:46 am

Herman wrote:The link did not work for me.
Hmm, it doesn't work for me now either. expired link it says. by the way Bryan, I had a dream last night you shipped my da overnight mail and I was happy.

reddiver
Lung Diver

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Was able to find the manual. Now I'll get to work.
Thanks
Reddiver

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:28 pm

If you have not already done so, go to the top of this thread and read the entire thing. There is a lot of good service advise in it that will help you along.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 am

I don't know if I told you Herman, But I was happy with your hp assembly tool for the titan. For 15$ it wouldn't have even been worth it for me to plug in my drill.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 am

Always nice to hear one of my tools made life easier. That tool was designed back when Luis was working on his Pegasus project. I was making the parts for it and building a Pegasus for myself so we both needed one. Since I had the drawings and the materials, figured I might as well make it available to those who were restoring Voits. It works on the older MR-12, Titans and Trieste which are basically the same internally.
Herman

reddiver
Lung Diver

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

I cut and pasted all the info from the threads and started my Titan II rebuild.
I checked the 2nd stage first and it freeflowed, I dissassembled, installed a new LP seat, sanded seat area, and reinstalled. It still did not seat, but when I put the 2nd stage on my Voit Trieste LP port, it worked fine so I guess that tells me the first stage needs to be rebuilt.
FIrst question, I have the schematic but can not tell how to remove the black plastic cover. Does it just pop off or are there screw threads?

Thanks
Reddiver

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:45 pm

It unscrews, threads are the same as other two stage DH's.
-Geoff

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”