floatingpi
Lung Diver
First Name: Mike

Aquala around? Vulcanized Rubber Sources

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I have emailed and have called aquala over the months and weeks. I never got any response from Ty Alley, both leaving messages on the phone and emailing. While I really enjoyed making my own UDT drysuit. I would very much like it to be of vulcanized rubber instead of latex, even if I have to pay extra for it.

Does anyone know if he or the company is still around?

I spent the last few days looking for answers and just found this same unanswered question. I am temped to message him on facebook or email Pat Regan that built the nemosuit (he mentioned dealing with the rubber manufacturer on one of his posts)

With that any where I might go with this. While I am really happy with my suit I just want to build MKII that I know will last a lot longer than a latex sheet would...

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Aquala around? Vulcanized Rubber Sources

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

It took me several attempts to get the attention of some of the vendors I use. They are flooded with requests for info, DEALER price lists....People claiming to be dealers who are not etc etc...Don't give up....If they are on Facebook as a business then it's there to draw in business and make new contacts. I'm sorry I don't have any leads for you on the vulcanized rubber but I'll see what I can come up with. Your projects looks great and I'm glad you are forging ahead on it.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks, for the words of encouragement. I figured not being a dealer would slow finding someone that will sell in smaller quantities. I am not giving up on the project, I really enjoyed the responses I have gotten here. Been emailing back and worth with others too, getting some great stories.

Aquala isn't on facebook but Ty Allen is on facebook. I wonder if he just gave up on the company, the 800 number goes to his voicemail. I think I might just go ahead and try sending him a message on facebook.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:35 pm

I agree with Bryan for sure. Your work is off the hook! Keep at it! :)

Jim

easydiver1
Skin Diver

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

I just talked with Ty at Aquala today. He has been out of the country. He is getting ready to order some green rubber and will wait till he hears from Flotingpi. I talked with him about making some authentic UDT suits. He does not have patterns so I offered my suit for a pattern.He is interested in making some authentic UDT suits. Any interest? Very nice guy and really knows his stuff about vintage dry suits.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Great News! Thanks for the extra effort Mike!!!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

easydiver1
Skin Diver

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I just heard back from Ty. He looked at the photos of my original suit and said that it was hot vulcanized as compared to his method of cold vulcanizing. He would not be able to make a 100% authentic copy but may be able to make something similar. That would be fine by me. Modern materials and methods are sometimes a good thing. Having a suit that you could use would be possible as originals are non existant.

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am

Agreed thanks for calling him. I'll also agree I think better rubber is better than bad materials. He never returned any of my messages however I will try him again today. Definitely good news!

Return to “General Discussions”