Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

First Day Diving my new Phoenix

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

First of all, a few words...........WOW, AWESOME, AMAZING!

OK, now that that's out of the way, I'm grinning from ear to ear. We arrived at the Blue Heron Bridge this morning for a shore dive. There were a few divers there, maybe 20. (That's a "few" on a beautiful day like today) My husband was trying out his GoPro Hero Helmet cam, and documented my DH indoctrination.

We submerged and the first thing I noticed was how easy and dry it breathed. I noticed in the head down position, I had to breath slightly deeper, but was completely comfortable, and I was use to it in a matter of minutes. I noticed that I was biting on the mouthpiece way too hard and didn't have too. I also was able to flood and clear it, look to starboard, lots of air, look to port, not so much, etc. These are all things that I expected, thanks to all you guys, and weren't even a second thought. I did want to try all these skills before we set off to look at stuff. I spent the rest of the dive concentrating on critters, (seahorses, sharptail eels, etc.) It performed as beautifully as it looks. My huband, who said "Never", is completely rethinking his rig around a DH. He was Pea Green with Envy.

I've ordered an oval mask and a brass & glass vintage Pressure gauge for delivery next week. After a few more items, my turn to the dark side will be complete.

I know I will never go back to a single hose. Period. Thanks guys!

Now, where's my credit card........ :D
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: First Day Diving my new Phoenix

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Great write up and glad to hear your 1st outing was so enjoyable. I'll bet if you do a little finessing with your backpack or use a harness you will find your regulator breathes fantastic in any position. Tell your husband to come on over...Plenty of gear for everyone!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Fun way to dive isn't it. My Phoenix has become my reg of choice.
The gauge you have coming may or may not have the correct hose for a Phoenix. The Phoenix, like all the older regs, uses a 3/8x24 connector on the hose, new ones are 7/16x 20. If you get one with the newer type connector or the hose is defective, Trident dealers (most dive shops and VDH) can still order the correct 3/8x24 hose or you can use the modern size by adding an adapter, which is also sold by Trident.
Herman

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Bryan wrote:Great write up and glad to hear your 1st outing was so enjoyable. I'll bet if you do a little finessing with your backpack or use a harness you will find your regulator breathes fantastic in any position. Tell your husband to come on over...Plenty of gear for everyone!

A harness and some 72s are on my list of "must gets". Bryan, I'm assuming that no cattle boat in US will let me dive without a octo, BC, etc. Do you find that to be true? I wouldn't try it now, but for future reference. I do plan to eliminate the BC portion of the program as often as possible, but I'm thinking no dive op would appreciate my view.

Thanks,
Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:53 pm

We did our annual Sand Dog event just down the road from you with Jupiter Dive Center last year and they gave us our own boat and let us dive the equipment we wanted. They required a surface signal tube/water weenie thing and some type of flotation device. Other than that they let us dive. Some folks used Phoenix regulators with tons of attachments and others used only a pressure gauge.
There are a lot of dive operators that will let you dive vintage gear but it's difficult to tell unless you talk with them directly as most don't advertise it. We even have a few options in the Keys which was a tough nut to crack. You will enjoy the events that we have in Florida cause we work out all the hassle before hand.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Herman wrote:Fun way to dive isn't it. My Phoenix has become my reg of choice.
The gauge you have coming may or may not have the correct hose for a Phoenix. The Phoenix, like all the older regs, uses a 3/8x24 connector on the hose, new ones are 7/16x 20. If you get one with the newer type connector or the hose is defective, Trident dealers (most dive shops and VDH) can still order the correct 3/8x24 hose or you can use the modern size by adding an adapter, which is also sold by Trident.
Herman, I'm ecstatic with the performance just as much as the look. Thanks for the heads up on the connector. I did have to get an HP adapter for my current console, which I used today for safety. But when it comes, its good to know I have a couple of options. I will probably replace the hose on the gauge.

Lisa
NAVED #205

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Bryan wrote:We did our annual Sand Dog event just down the road from you with Jupiter Dive Center last year and they gave us our own boat and let us dive the equipment we wanted. They required a surface signal tube/water weenie thing and some type of flotation device. Other than that they let us dive. Some folks used Phoenix regulators with tons of attachments and others used only a pressure gauge.
There are a lot of dive operators that will let you dive vintage gear but it's difficult to tell unless you talk with them directly as most don't advertise it. We even have a few options in the Keys which was a tough nut to crack. You will enjoy the events that we have in Florida cause we work out all the hassle before hand.

Great to know. I've been to JDC, but not dived with them. And I've heard nothing but great things about them. Usually dive with Jim Abernethy's outfit on a regular basis so I'll approach them on the side and see how it goes. Congrats on cracking the KEYS....some of those guys frown on you if you don't have ScubaPro head to toe. (not that there's anything wrong with that.....)
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 am

And now she's our newest NAVED member! Welcome aboard :D

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Note: This picture will be on my profile in the Museum Quarterly Magazine to the members, Fire In The Hole.

My colleagues insisted..... :shock:
NAVED #205

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Lookin good Lisa! Great report on your dive.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 pm

My Phoenix, #06-144, is dressed out with a Scubapro R109 updated to the ballanced adjustable, an inflator that can run either my dry suit or a BC, and a SPG to a plain brass and glass gauge. on the SPG hose is a Printon Tectronics mechanical bottom timer.

Then there are all the other double hoses that have nothing but the two hoses coming off of them.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Congratulations on your NAVED membership, Lisa! :D

One of these days, when I get my full kit together and meet the other requirements, I'll send in my application.

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Gilldiver wrote:My Phoenix, #06-144, is dressed out with a Scubapro R109 updated to the ballanced adjustable, an inflator that can run either my dry suit or a BC, and a SPG to a plain brass and glass gauge. on the SPG hose is a Printon Tectronics mechanical bottom timer.

Then there are all the other double hoses that have nothing but the two hoses coming off of them.
Hahaha, just 2 hoses? I want to get there!

Mine currently has an inflator hose, a Conshelf Octo and a Sportsways Capillary spg attached, along with the 2 hosers. It's a tad busier than I'd like, but when my new plate comes, I can lose the inflator hose at least. :D
NAVED #205

Aileron
Master Diver

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Drado wrote:Congratulations on your NAVED membership, Lisa! :D

One of these days, when I get my full kit together and meet the other requirements, I'll send in my application.

Ed, I think you qualify..... :D
NAVED #205

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Lisa, great write up and fun read. Welcome to NAVED. Yes the fever has set in and now you understand. :wink: :D
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”