Forum rules
Regulator specific information can also be found on the main page of the website in the Regulator Id Guide.
Henrik

Aqua-Master collar wrench

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 am

I finally got around to testing and tweaking the collar wrench substitute I found.

I saw pictures of the spindle nut wrench and thought it looked like it might fit, or at least fit with little work. And sure enough:

The tabs on the wrench didn't fit right out of the box, but they were only 2/100" too big, so a bit of work with a file made for a nice tight fit:

As you can see, I beveled the corners of the tabs on the wrench for a better fit at the "bottom" of the slots in the collar. I could have hit the 45° better - oh well ...

A few notes:

- make sure to order part #3246. There are other, cheaper, wrenches that look similar, but are the wrong size. I know, 'cause I bought one :)

- the wrench is made of surprisingly soft material, so be careful with the file and measure often.

- I had to file down the little "hills" between the tabs to allow the tabs to bottom out in the collar slots:

- the wrench is fine for the home "shop", but not something you'd want to bring in your "save-a-dive-kit" - much too big and heavy.

Henrik

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks for sharing. That is a great find and I am glad it works well.

I have an original wrench and a similar fabricated wrench, but this one looks as good as or better than the original.

Could you add a link to where you bought the wrench?

After this thread has been here for a few days for other peoples comments I would like to move it to the Tech Tips and Down Load section, if nobody objects.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Henrik

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 am

I can't find the confirmation email, but I believe I bought the wrench from SJ Discount Tools:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3246.html

There are several hits for the tool on Google, and ACE Hardware is a few $$ cheaper than SJ.

Henrik

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 am

Henrik:
Thanks for putting up this post; it was a big help. I was in need of another wrench and after seeing your post which I found through a search I decided to see what I could find on ebay. I found the exact model you said to look for and got it for a Buy It Now price of $7.95. I just received it in the mail today and with a bit of filing I'll have myself a new wrench. :D Thanks again! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

jbrians
Lung Diver

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 am

luis wrote:Thanks for sharing. That is a great find and I am glad it works well.

I have an original wrench and a similar fabricated wrench, but this one looks as good as or better than the original.

Could you add a link to where you bought the wrench?

After this thread has been here for a few days for other peoples comments I would like to move it to the Tech Tips and Down Load section, if nobody objects.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-Wheel-Drive-Spindl ... 240%3A1318

Henrik

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 am

Ouch Terry. You got a great deal there. I spent *much* more than that ... :(

Glad it worked out for you.

Henrik

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Just bought one myself.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Yeah Henrik; I felt that I got a real good deal on the price; especially after receiving the product. It's well made and I might add; in The U.S.A.
Also; if anybody else is looking for one I believe there were several of them listed when I found mine. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 pm

It took about 15 minutes with a file to get mine set. The 4 tabs are higher on mine then the one above so only the tabs touch the ring. But it is a good tight fit. I think the best way to use it would be to put the socket into a vise and use hand pressure to turn the can and body.

One pluss is that the ID of the socket clears the horseshoe and all the other parts on the body so you can remove an assembled body from the can .
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Henrik

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Terry; good deal is an understatement - you got a screamin' deal :) I paid more than $30 for mine. Of course I was happy with that price then, so I'm not complaining mind you. Just happy you got a good price and find the wrench useful.

Gilldiver; yes, the ID of the wrench is just a hair bigger than the ring itself, and the "inside height" of the wrench leave plenty of room to fit it over the entire assembly.

I think that with Luis' spud wrench "vise" or a similar clamping arrangement, it would be fine to use the wrench with a ratchet as well. Of course I'd use great care when tightening; the only "torque spec" I recall seeing was Nemrod's *hand tight plus 1/4 turn.

Really happy the wrench is working out for you guys.

Henrik

Return to “Technical Information / Diver Training Information”