SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Reserving Dive Dates

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:56 am

Tentative Midwest Dive Dates

Hello Everyone,

Seahunt Jerry started the ball rolling with a couple of dates. If we don't get these weekends scheduled, they will be taken by some other activities. So, I put together a tentative list and marked them on my calendar. The dates and destinations are not carved in stone. Let me know if other plans work for you. If I have any conflict with the Vintage Get Together in Ohio, let me know.

Fortune Pond - This is a pretty reliable destination... Visibility is always good to excellent. A long drive but always worth it. Last year I gave up on poor viz at Wazee and just came to Fortune the rest of the Summer. Rich and I drive half way and stay over in Siren Thursday night after work. Leave early to arrive at Fortune around 11:30 AM Friday. Get 2-3 dives Friday. 1-2 Saturday morning and drive home Saturday Afternoon.
Wazee - Dates proposed for Wazee could just as well be for somewhere else. Visibility has not been reliable there. It was poor last Spring. Others say it improved later in the season. Considering Tioga, Ore-Be-Gone, Crosby as other choices for Wazee dates.
Tioga - Excellent location at Grand Rapids... Lots of motels and nice restaurants. Visibility is potentially GREAT but only in early season and late. Rich and I scouted it mid season last year and it was very good until the whole town's population of kids showed up to swim and stirred up the silt. It is the popular swimming hole when the water is warm.
Crosby - Several pits up beyond Brainerd... Sometimes vis has been excellent. Sometimes just OKAY. Crosby can be a 1-day, 2-dive trip for me as well as twin cities divers.
Ore-Be-Gone -- A definite "Dive Destination" like Wazee... Several things to see when the water is clear: Airplane, school bus, helicopter. Located in Gilbert, MN (way north of Cloquet). For me it would require 2 days. Jerry goes up and back from Twin Cities in 1 day. (note: the Frank Lloyd Wright gas station is a sight you can see when driving through Cloquet).
St. James - A pit north of Ore-Be-Gone... Tom and Becky have dived it. So have I... Visibility was good.

May 4-5 Fortune Pond, MI
May 18-19 Wazee or Tioga
June 15-16 Fortune Pond
June 29-30 Wazee or Crosby (Maybe just one day)
July 20-21 Wazee for Sure (Jerry's Invitational)
August 3-4 Fortune Pond
August 17-18 Wazee or other

That's what I have so far. Unless I hear otherwise, these are the dates I have reserved on my calendar. Let me know what you think.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: Reserving Dive Dates

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

I think I could make it up to Fortune of Wazee with you guys at least once. But too soon to commit just yet. I'll keep checking in as our summer schedule evolves.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

First Revision...
- My dive buddy Rich has a conflict with the May 3-4 weekend... That's his birthday and he's turning 60... THE BIG SIX-OH.
- So I shifted the two May dives a week forward. Unfortunately this puts dive #1 on Mothers Day weekend BUT... We'll be diving Friday and Saturday, returning Saturday night and leaving Mother's Day completely open to honor our Wives and Mom's.
- Here's the revised diving schedule:

May 11-12 Fortune Pond, MI
May 25-26 Wazee or Tioga
June 15-16 Fortune Pond
June 29-30 Wazee or Crosby (Maybe just one day)
July 20-21 Wazee for Sure (Jerry's Invitational)
August 3-4 Fortune Pond
August 17-18 Wazee or other
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm

I Think it's Finalized!
- I've heard back from just about everyone on our local dive group and only the previous changes needed to be made. At least these seem to be the dates that work for the divers who usually come to our dives.
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”