Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Local secret spot, 2DEC17

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Welp, I got my 7mm Elios sub unlined wetsuit from Italy. It's a balmy 42 degrees here in Puget Sound today, and water temps are a sunny 50 degrees F. Visibility appears good, so I've packed up the Mistral, a cotton harness, a steel 72 with a j valve, and an old Stanley thermos filled with boiling water. We are going to the local spot where we dive that basically nobody else dives. I'll post back with results of this silly endeavor once I get a large pizza and my shrinkage goes away.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Ron
Site Admin

Re: Local secret spot, 2DEC17

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:50 am

We ended up doing a 50 minute dive with a maximum depth of 45 feet. The water was 49F. Our spot is a local fisherman's favorite, so plenty of old soda bottles, casting tackle rods thrown in anger, etc. on the bottom of this place. My new Elios wetsuit performed admirably, and I managed to last well enough without shivering actively. For a wetsuit in winter, it's pretty dang good. There is really nothing warmer in wetsuits than a 7mm freediving suit with no lining.

I'm pretty sure my face is stuck this way, but we all had a pretty good time.
r.JPG
Here's a super old 7up bottle I found:
7up.JPG
Here's another cool bottle that appears to date from the 1940s:
bo.JPG
I used my Suunto SME-ML super duper original dive computer again with great success. Thanks to the forum member who sold me this:
smelly.JPG
stuff.JPG
Good times. I feel like this is a great wetsuit though, because my other two buddies were using drysuits and they were as cold by the end of the dive as I was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am

Sounds like a cool dive spot. Not to be cliche but does the sun ever shine on you up there? Or are most of your dives twilight or night dives after work?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am

Summers are wonderful here. During winter the sun basically never comes out and it gets dark at like 4:45PM. The diving is good, but the dang water is always cold. The warmest the water gets is around 56 in the summer. It is hard to get people to dive. My instructor counts are nothing like they were in Florida. Our dive club here only has 20 people in it. Also, Trimix is really hard to find up here.

We will probably retire someplace much cheaper in like 8 years. Maybe someplace sleepy like the Midwest. We can come bug you guys again and dive Gilboa a lot. Maybe snowbird in florida during winter :) The culture here is not the best fit for us, a fact of which I’m sure you are well aware lol.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Like your neighbor Lumberjack Skinny Jeans......

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”