SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Argonauts in the UP

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:31 am

Argonauts in the UP...
- SurfLung, SwimJim, and SheriffDiver showed off our Argonauts at a recent "UP" (upper peninisula of Michigan) Fortune Pond dive trip. Left to right we are suited up in modern HP80 BCD, Vintage Twin Sportsways 72s, and Technical Twin USD 72s diving styles... Argonaut divers do it all, Baby!
- We tried out the "Beast"... My 93 lb. UV-26 cave diving scooter I bought on Ebay. Wow that was fun. Ron and I tried it with him holding onto my tanks as I drove. That didn't work so well... too much drag. Later Eric arrived and told us how to tow by holding onto fins. I towed Jill that way and it worked very well. On one of the dives, I "flew" the scooter all the way around fortune pond at 60 feet deep. Visibility was fantastic, I was cruising along the edges of cliffs and could see the bottom way down below. The sensation of flying was wonderful.
- How to Fly a UV-26 Scooter with One Hand: This scooter has only one handle. It has a tow line that clips to your crotch strap and connects to the sides of the propeller guard. The handle positions straight up and down on top. To turn left, you rotate the scooter to the left and pull back... Like banking an airplane and pulling back on the stick. To turn right, you rotate the scooter to the right and pull back. To just go up and down, you pull back or push forward just like you would do in an airplane. The towline takes the work out of holding on.
- There were some other dive groups up there who showed interest in our DH gear. Tell Luis that Bob from Menominee says 'Hi" :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Re: Argonauts in the UP

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:42 am

I had a blast with the Kraken.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Nice! Looks like a good time..Brrrr

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 pm

My Kraken saw some action as well. I also dove my Dacor C 3. It performed rather well. I had a leaky glove on my dry suit though. Not fun when the bottom temp is 39 and your flooded up to the shoulder. I have put new gloves on my dry suit though and I'll be fixing a few other minor things. It will be sea worthy by the weekend. Looks like another Fortune Pond adventure in the works for mid September. The trees should have good color by then. Can't wait!

Jim

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”