SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Three Days at Fortune

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

Three Days at Fortune Pond, June 22-24
- We had such great visibility at Fortune Pond last month, some of us were wishing we'd planned to stay over an extra day and dive some more. So, this time we're planning to do just that. Rich and I will be going. Sheriff Diver is going and bringing two friends.
- We're looking at this as kind of our "Last Chance" trip before all of the family and friends commitments of July.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Three Days at Fortune

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:57 pm

I have made my reservations at the Lake Shore and I am planning on going. Worse case scenario I drive up on Saturday AM. I'll try and get there for Friday afternoon though if I can swing it. :D

Swimjim

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I will be there with 3 other people. Another new diver will be there. This time Drew is bringing his dad. Truck will be FULL of tanks for sure this time and I will definately need to bring the compressor. Drew and his dad just picked up some vintage gear and they are excited to try it out.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:13 pm

SurfLung wrote:Three Days at Fortune Pond, June 22-24
- We had such great visibility at Fortune Pond last month, some of us were wishing we'd planned to stay over an extra day and dive some more. So, this time we're planning to do just that. Rich and I will be going. Sheriff Diver is going and bringing two friends.
- We're looking at this as kind of our "Last Chance" trip before all of the family and friends commitments of July.
3 friends are coming with Eben. This time hopefully the new divers can get to use double hose and some doubles!! I will have to bring the compressor along again to keep up with 4 divers.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 pm

- Rich and I will be bringing enough tanks for three days... May have to borrow Jill's truck to handle the hauling job! The two of us are definitely coming and maybe my wife Jill.
- I may be bringing my latest set of Twin 38s along. Over the weekend I finished cobbling together the 1/2" tapered thread manifold from new and old parts. Tanks are tested and painted. Bands are polished. And, I even have a vintage harness. One evening (maybe tonight) should do it to finish assembly. These are those FREE 38s that Bill Tucker gave me. Thanks so much Bill. They're going to be beautiful.
- I will plan to bring my little gas grill and some brats. Other feel free to bring something (potato salad, cookies, bars, etc.)
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm

I just finished tuning a Healthways Scuba I got from the Kemps Cow. I'll test it this weekend. I'll at least bring some chips and Oreo's, Eben. You know, soul food. Lol. I'll also have extra pre and post dive beverages along. I'm really looking forward to being above the tension line!

Swimjim

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 pm

swimjim wrote:I just finished tuning a Healthways Scuba I got from the Kemps Cow. I'll test it this weekend. I'll at least bring some chips and Oreo's, Eben. You know, soul food. Lol. I'll also have extra pre and post dive beverages along. I'm really looking forward to being above the tension line!

Swimjim
Hey Jim, we were thinking of you last night as we filled tanks for the trip. Here are SOME of the tanks we're bringing:
- At least 7 sets of twin tanks plus other singles. Filled up or topped off with my RIX SA3E compressor.
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

For those of you coming to Fortune Pond, bring along your Sea Hunt era gear. We are planning on doing a Sea Hunt style dive. I'm bringing some extra smooth skin wetsuits for some of the people coming with and I'll have some extra masks and lots of double hoses along too. There will be a ton of double tanks there. I will have my compressor there too. My triple tank UDS-1 system and the ABS system will be in attendance too.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm

SurfLung wrote:
swimjim wrote:I just finished tuning a Healthways Scuba I got from the Kemps Cow. I'll test it this weekend. I'll at least bring some chips and Oreo's, Eben. You know, soul food. Lol. I'll also have extra pre and post dive beverages along. I'm really looking forward to being above the tension line!

Swimjim
Hey Jim, we were thinking of you last night as we filled tanks for the trip. Here are SOME of the tanks we're bringing:
- At least 7 sets of twin tanks plus other singles. Filled up or topped off with my RIX SA3E compressor.
Thats a lot of cylinders!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey Eben. Do you have that 1000 gallon propane tank converted to a Sea Lab for use at Fortune yet? Just kidding. Looks like a full load though. I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Now I know why its called Fortune Pond!. there is a fortune in tanks! Looks like Robs stash of goodies!
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Robohips77 wrote:Now I know why its called Fortune Pond!. there is a fortune in tanks! Looks like Robs stash of goodies!
Well, we ain't leaving until each one is dove and some refilled on site!!!

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 pm

OK Surflung. I got all the tanks organized. Bringing enough for 4 divers for the weekend.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Robohips77 wrote:Now I know why its called Fortune Pond!. there is a fortune in tanks! Looks like Robs stash of goodies!
Yep, there will be a Fortune in gear there!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 am

Fortune Pond Dive Report:
- Another great diving trip... Fortune never fails to deliver in that aspect.
- Weather was perfect on Friday as we all began to arrive and dive. Saturday was supposed to rain but held off and changed from cloudy to sunny and back several times before finally starting to rain late in the afternoon when we were all done diving. After raining all night, it was dry again Sunday morning so Rich an I were able to get one more dive in before heading for home.
- Visibility was a little hazier than last time... But, we could see 50-60 feet clearly. On one dive, I looked up directly at the sun from 129 feet down and could see the surface ripples. At 135 feet, the water had a layer... Above was clear and below had the visibility of skim milk... It rested down there like heavy water or something.
- Water Temperature was in the low 60s above 15 feet depth. I think I registered 41 degrees down at 135 ft. Air temps was cooperative with not much wind and usually in the 70's... The sun helped with warm ups between dives.
- Most Memorable Dive was Saturday. Rich and I swam on the surface about 1/3 of the distance around the right side of the pond then descended to the "Bug Garden" ( a ledge at 65 feet deep). From there we continued out beyond and along the ledge to observe the wall and the terrain below. After awhile we began to see the boulders on the side of a road start to appear out of the haze below and the ridge we were following became shallower and shallower. I surfaced to locate where we were and it was just 50 yds short of the other end of the pond. We turned around to begin our swim back in the warmer, shallow water of about 15 ft depth and we came upon a low spot on the bottom that was filled with the same skim milk haze that we're seen below 135 feet. To me it looked slightly green but Rich say is was white. Its like it was heavier water sunk into the low spot. As we swam a little further I saw and recovered a fishing rod and reel... Gotta have some treasure!
- When we finally got back to the cars, we had been in the water for almost an hour. I was cold and tired... But that was a great dive!
- Our Diving Group was me and Rich, SwimJim and Eric P., Sheriffdiver and his three guests. A really great group with lots of laughs, good stories, and good company. Sheriffdiver Ron has to be the hardest working dive buddy of all... He was filling tanks for his guests almost non stop. SwimJim brought along a Healthways double hose reg that he demonstrated, explained, and then dove the heck out if. My buddy Rich dove his Twin 50s, single 95s, and even some Nitrox to build up experience in his log book. SwimJim and Eric also dove full technical to practice their craft for Wreck Diving and Fire Department rescue squad (they are pros). I personally dove one set of 38s after another and then my set of 48s... With a different double hose each dive. And then I refilled the 38s from AL80s for Sundays dive... Did I say I really like Twin 38s? Ron dove Twin AL50s and Twin 72s with single and double hose regs and helped his guests to try double hosing, too. They loved it.
- We had some great pizza Friday night and Excellent Italian at Alices Saturday night with some really good bull sessions over cheese and crackers at the motel. Really a great weekend. Thanks everyone that came, I loved it.

P.S. I forgot to mention Diver Don came down from Marquette and dove with us on Friday. Good seeing you Don!
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”