SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Re: Sea Hunt Forever 2017

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Got it Mark. I showed him that picture and it really likes it.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Ron,

Stationing your camera was a great idea as evidenced by the wonderful film. (yes, I still use the archaic term)

Please send a link to your newspaper article when it's available.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the folks in the glass-bottomed boats could hear the spear guns discharge?

Thank you again for all your help.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Mark,

What's the story on the hoses for the Polaris... just old and faded? or are they actually this color?
If they're really this perished, I'm surprised they are supple enough to dive...

Fred

ScubaLawyer wrote:A few regs I had with me.
SHF regs.jpg

edit... not sure why the photo won't attach, but you know the one I mean.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:20 am

8dust wrote:Mark,

What's the story on the hoses for the Polaris... just old and faded? or are they actually this color?
If they're really this perished, I'm surprised they are supple enough to dive...

Fred

ScubaLawyer wrote:A few regs I had with me.
SHF regs.jpg

edit... not sure why the photo won't attach, but you know the one I mean.
Hey Fred, those hoses are about 7 years old and have seen a lot of use and sunlight. They are still very supple. I think they are neoprene. Might be infused with kryptonite and alien DNA too. The hoses on the 50 Fathom are silicone.

Missed your smiling face at SHF. Hope your son is better and his surgery went well. I go under the knife myself tomorrow. Going to be kept out of the water for a few months but I'll be back diving soon enough. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 pm

SheriffDiver wrote:Here is some video shot from my Go Pro after I planted it in the muck so it could film some action. The mask I had to use for the 2nd day of diving wasn't working well for me as you see me having to clear the mask a bunch and the barrel rolls would send water splashing across my face.
[video]https://youtu.be/e0AevVC7Nd8[/video]
[/quote]

- Ron, my compliments on this video... It turned out great. The little fishies that came out later and the way it captured the whole scene so well. Great idea to just set it up and let it record.

- Here's the photo of Rich I just sent to the local Echo Press newspaper...
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

couv
Master Diver

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Messing around with Photoshop.
a.jpg
b.jpg
Fantastic photo. I agree that in this instance color is the the better choice.

Good luck with your surgery.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

couv wrote:Ron,

Stationing your camera was a great idea as evidenced by the wonderful film. (yes, I still use the archaic term)

Please send a link to your newspaper article when it's available.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the folks in the glass-bottomed boats could hear the spear guns discharge?

Thank you again for all your help.
I asked my girlfriend who rode in one of the glass bottom boats if she could hear the spearguns. She said "no" but she also said there were a bunch of people talking too so it was noisy.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am

SurfLung wrote:
SheriffDiver wrote:
- Here's the photo of Rich I just sent to the local Echo Press newspaper...
Let us know if they print the photo Eben..

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Sorry I couldn't join the group this year. Looking forward to 2018. I just got logged into the forum and love the pictures. Nice job team. Did the Amphi-cars make a visit this year? Cheers, Big Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 pm

BigMike wrote:Sorry I couldn't join the group this year. Looking forward to 2018. I just got logged into the forum and love the pictures. Nice job team. Did the Amphi-cars make a visit this year? Cheers, Big Mike
Mike, good to hear from you. Didn't see any Amphibicars but Wayne from Amigos arrived in his powered canoe or whatever that skinny floating contraption he was on is called. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm

SheriffDiver wrote:Here is some video shot from my Go Pro after I planted it in the muck so it could film some action. The mask I had to use for the 2nd day of diving wasn't working well for me as you see me having to clear the mask a bunch and the barrel rolls would send water splashing across my face.
[video]https://youtu.be/e0AevVC7Nd8[/video]
[/quote]

Here's Some Narration...
- Great video Ron! I am amazed at how well that turned out.
- For those who don't know, Sea Hunt Forever 2017 was March 4-5 at Silver Springs, FL. Ron Bentz, Rich Merten, Jerry Lang, Joe Musial, and myself (Eben Brown) were cast members that traveled to Silver Springs Florida from Minnesota. There were 15+ additional divers in the cast who traveled from all over the country to be part of the event.
- There were professional photographers from local newspapers as well as the diving community. The second day, several of us were using our personal cameras as well. I got a whole bunch of video of which most of it is not very good... (I think I may only be capable of good video from a selfie stick!).
- So, Ron brings down this goofy looking GoPro handle/stand thing and just sets it down at one corner of the Silver Springs pool. And darned if his video doesn't come out capturing everything better than all of my hand held video shots. He even got the cute little fishes that run away when you try to video them.
- Right after the beginning there's a brief stretch where we all swim upstream and off camera... This is when we're waiting for a glass bottom boat to come. In the background you can hear Jerry's Porta Sub running. Then, you can hear a choppier sound of the glass bottom boat propeller as it arrives overhead (later it drifts into view). Then you see the divers coming back into camera range doing their knife fights, speargun shooting, etc. Ron is the guy in the silver suit with the twin 72s. I'm in one of the knife fights with Rich notice our great "death spirals" in both directions and underwater judo... We practiced that at the pool before going to Sea Hunt Forever 2017. Then another guy comes in and stabs me! You can recognize me by the black suit, twin gray 38s with gray bands and very round tank bottoms. Jerry is driving the PortaSub at the beginning. Rich is one of the black suit single 72 tank guys with white hair. I'm not sure if Joe is in this video but if he is, he'll have on triple tanks and silver suit. Toward the end, you'll see a close view of Rich and Ron fighting over a spear gun as I leisurely swim thru the scene looking at my camera.
- In the background center left you see three statues. These are remnants of an "I Spy" television episode that was shot at Silver Springs back in the '70s (I think).
- BUT... Behind the statues is a "cliff" or ledge that appears in many Sea Hunt episodes... On TV the cliff scenes were usually depicted as very deep even though it is really only 10-15 feet deep.
- The whole Silver Springs pool is like an underwater theatrical stage with props built in. The "cave" that appears in so many episodes is actually the mouth of the spring which is off camera right in this video. The boulders that Mike Nelson hides behind is many scenes are the same ones still present at the Spring today. Remember the episode about catching the prehistoric coelacanth? Those are actually the local bowfin which are still present in the spring today.
- Great video... Way to go Ron!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm

With all the cameras I saw (and I wasn't wearing my glasses) there has to be more videos and photos out there...Come on people...share...

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 pm

There are more photos on the Sea Hunt Forever members only website.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Here's a short video of Eben and Rich as they wait for another knife fight. Not sure who the other divers are shown. If you know you can sure comment.
[video]https://youtu.be/pSNM38EFHC0[/video]

couv
Master Diver

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 pm

simonbeans wrote:There are more photos on the Sea Hunt Forever members only website.
Not being familiar with FB, I was getting a bit impatient and discouraged. After the first few days following the event a handful of pictures appeared only to dwindle to a trickle. However, in the last couple of days a gaggle of excellent photos has appeared.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”