TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Interest in a Mid-Atlantic vintage dive event?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:55 am

Is there any interest in a Mid-Atlantic vintage dive event?

Right now I go to the lake, dive alone and answer a few questions from people with stunned expressions. Anyone care to join me this summer? I know Crimediver isn't far away. We could have a barbecue and call it a vintage dive event. I just don't know of many other vintage divers in the area and would like to gauge interest.

The venue would probably be Lake Phoenix. http://www.lake-phoenix.com/

Doug

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Interest in a Mid-Atlantic vintage dive event?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 am

I would be interested and I'm sure Henry would too. We try to get up there a couple of times in the summer. I have no idea how the new management would feel about it, might want to feel them out before planning anything that would make us stand out....or just show up quietly and don't ask/don't tell. :)
Herman

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 am

I spoke with Roger (Robohips) today and he suggested that an offshore wreck dive might be more interesting and draw a bigger crowd. What's the consensus?

Hotels will cost a bit more in Virginia Beach or Hatteras and weather windows are always an issue for Atlantic wreck diving.

If ocean diving is the preference, I was thinking September, when the water is a bit warmer and the majority of the summer tourists are gone. Would that conflict with any other Vintage events?

If the preference is for the lake - there is good camping and a nearby hotel. The current Lake Phoenix management has been a lot more accommodating than the previous team.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 am

Any opportunity to get double hosers together is a good one! I think ......think.....The gathering at White Star Quarry in Ohio is in September. With that said, the owner was apprehensive about having the event last year but despite a few bumps he's excited about having it again this year....Plus he sold a hell of a lot of old gear to everyone :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Who is organizing the White Star Quarry event? I'll be happy to contact them to deconflict dates.

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:06 am

A Lake Phoenix dive would definitely be doable for me. I have not dove there in about ten years and it was called Lake Rawlings then. My PSD team used it for training before we had a falling out with the prior owner. It was a great dive site with very excellent viz and was full of 1 pound bluegill and lunker bass. Being a granite quarry spring fed quarry it did not silt up much. There used to be on-site camping, I would need to check to see what they had now. There was a comfortable hotel down the road a couple of miles away.
Several movies did there underwater filming there due to the nice viz and other logistics. I would be interested.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I am in for either one. I know that Dan Benedict would go if the water tastes like SALT.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Ok so its March 10 and I am interested in trying to put together a mid summer dive event off the east coast. I am open to ideas on locations and also the potential wrecks that can be dived from a charter. I realize some are saving for Truk trip next year but I am willing to pull one together for the summer. I am looking at Mid July. I have two events that I must attend, the end of July and the end of September. PM me with ideas and charters that you have been successful with.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:06 pm

If guys are willing to come up to Long island I can set up a charter to a wreck on a very double hose reg friendly boat. The captain's eyes light up every time I bring mine on the boat. The boat is set up for 10 divers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

After checking around with the Virginia Beach dive charters that I know, I've come to the realization that they aren't going to be a very good venue for a DH event alone. There used to be a few big boats, but the remaining charters are six packs, so our numbers would be relatively limited and frankly Atlantic weather being what it is, would make any given day in the summer a 50/50 gamble.

As for Virginia lake options, Lake Phoenix said that they would be happy to host us and offered us a nice pavilion on Vendor Fest 07OCT17. It's not Cozumel, but the place is clean, has a nice campground and has some nearby hotels. I've been there in October and November and the water is still very comfortable in a 5mm wetsuit. The best feature of Lake Phoenix is that it's only a few minutes from I85 in Virginia (google it for details). If there was interest on Friday or Sunday, I could help organize a wreck dive charter out of VB for six divers who are interested in some nice offshore WWII wrecks while they are in the area.

Here's the advertising they sent me about Vendor Fest.
This year Lake Phoenix is again hosting VenderFest. This demo and presentation day is a fun packed time for you to join with divers,
departing knowledge and possibly giving non divers, or existing divers some new considerations as to the possibilities of continued education when it
comes to the underwater world.

We have selected Saturday October 7th this year as the day for VenderFest!

As in previous years once signed up:

You may submit a pavilion request at any time prior to the event. Priority users still have first selection. Based on availability pavilion
fees are waived for presenters. We may select to combine multiple presenters in a pavilion as needed and will alert you as this decision is
made.

You may represent one or more manufactures or organizations. Please let us know in advance.

You may present training and trip opportunities as well as equipment provided these are from your organization.

Additional waivers and fees for any in water demonstrations will be provided / received by you. We will not be responsible for collection
of any additional fees or waivers.

Please provide a Group Manifest prior to the event of those working the event. Individuals thereon must complete the Lake Phoenix
waiver for 2017 and check in on arrival. Their fees for entrance are waived for the day.

POC for these actions will be Dalelynn Sims who can be reached direct at 434 955-0304

Your Lake Phoenix Family
1 Quarry lane, Rawlings, VA. 23876
SCUBA Park & Family Camp Ground
www.Lake-Phoenix.com Phone: (804) 716-2199

ethan
First Name: Ethan

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Hello! I frequent Lake Phoenix (Was Lake Rawlings), and am game to meet up for some dives.

I have a DA Aquamaster that I have dove there in the past. It's currently free flowing so will look into rebuilding it.

I just have the vintage regulator, all of my other stuff is modern. Is that usually frowned upon? In the past I just dove with my friends pony and skipped SPG.

Also have a o2 CCR that is older but I don't think it is considered vintage as it's still on the market. Just uncommon in the USA.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”