SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sand Dog 2016 Preview

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Sand Dog 2016 Preview
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CcG4q ... e=youtu.be[/video]
- This video has an underwater tour of the sights you'll see under and out from the pier at Fortune Pond. It also shows surface views and access from the parking lot... So, when you arrive at Sand Dog 2016, you'll already be familiar with Fortune Pond. I hope you like the video and I hope to see you there. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Sand Dog 2016 Preview

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Sand Dog?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:53 pm

I think this thread may explain it. :?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8598
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:25 pm

As there was no Sand Dog this year because of the SeaHunt event, a vintage dive get together was organised at Fortune Pond, Crystal Falls upper Michigan August 19th - 21st. Call it what you will..... don't wan't to cross any forbidden boundaries..... But it is a vintage dive get together none the less. If you are one who cannot tolerate water sub 70 degree's, please do not exceed 20 feet. You will have excellent viz. I have yet to meet a diver at Fortune Pond who was let down by poor viz.
So if you can't make the trip up from the South.... well I understand. To get to Portage quarry I had to drive around eight hours, go through Chicago, pay to get in and have 10 foot viz. Fortune Pond by the way is FREE. Just sayin'. If you cannot tolerate friendly locals, great viz and generally great diving, you probably should stay home.

Swimjim

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:40 pm

swimjim wrote:If you cannot tolerate friendly locals, great viz and generally great diving, you probably should stay home.
Hmm maybe I should rethink joining you guys. I prefer cranky locals crappy vis and average diving. But than again I can't get Spotted Cow at home. That should make it a little more tolerable :wink:

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 am

luis wrote:I think this thread may explain it. :?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8598
My fault.....I should have paid more attention to the direction the thread was going. VDH is here to promote and assist everyone diving vintage gear and the events around the world that promote it. With that being said, please refrain from using Sand Dog as the title of any event not sponsored by VDH. No harm no fowl and I hope everyone has a great time and shoots some new video and photos to share with all of us. :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:13 pm

How about a hog roast and call it Sand Hog?
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

- This too... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8688

- My mistake. I truly thought this was going to be the official Sand Dog. And, I'm surprised and disappointed that its not. (I was expecting to see some enthusiastic comments when I logged onto the forum this morning).

- I was able to change the video description on YouTube to: "Posted by Mistake...". I'll have to re-edit to get the words "Sand Dog" out of the title. I'll try and get that done after work today.
SurfLung

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 am

SurfLung wrote:- This too... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8688
I think this thread may explain it. :?<br /><br />viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8598
<br /><br />My fault.....I should have paid more attention to the direction the thread was going. VDH is here to promote and assist everyone diving vintage gear and the events around the world that promote it. With that being said, please refrain from using Sand Dog as the title of any event not sponsored by VDH. No harm no fowl and I hope everyone has a great time and shoots some new video and photos to share with all of us. :D

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

- Okay! I was able to place an annotation over the "Sand Dog" part of the title on YouTube without having to re-edit everything. So now its just a preview of a Fabulous Vintage Diving Get-Together up at Fortune Pond Aug 19-21! Come one come all... The video will give you a preview of the great diving and vintage equipment that will be diving there! :)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CcG4qjHv0[/video]
SurfLung

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:30 pm

The moons have aligned and I'm planning on making it to the "non-Dog" dive gathering next month. Where are you staying if you are planning to attend? I see only a few hotels in the area and I would rather stay were other attendees are gathering. Looking forward to it. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi Mike,
Lake Shore motel tell them your a diver , cheaper rate , Claudia manger phone . 906 265-3611
I won't be there however plan on being in Ohio a few days before the Heritage days and the Sat morning. :P

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Eben Brown's DIVE O RAMA has a nice ring to it for an event name.....Easy to remember, works in any location, could become very popular with the cool kids.... :D

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Yep, I'll be there Friday, Saturday, Sunday with a whole bunch of vintage gear.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am

BigMike wrote:The moons have aligned and I'm planning on making it to the "non-Dog" dive gathering next month. Where are you staying if you are planning to attend? I see only a few hotels in the area and I would rather stay were other attendees are gathering. Looking forward to it. Mike
It will be great to see you there Mike! Yes, the Lakeshore Motel in Iron River is where we all try to stay. If it's full up, there's an AmericInn also in Iron River and it's only 2-3 minutes from the Lakeshore so everyone can still get together in the evenings easily enough. There are campgrounds in the area, too. There's a fabulous grocery, gourmet, and liquor store plus a big box drug store within 2-3 minutes of the motel, too. SwimJim and the Deep Six Dive club have posted quite a bit of information about the Fortune Pond dive site and local amenities on their club website at http://www.deepsixscuba.com/divesheet.p ... type=shore

There's no scuba shop so bring enough air. I think SheriffDiver may be bringing a compressor but I think he's also bringing a truckfull of full Twin Tanks and Singles... He's the one with the "Highest Cylinder Factor" at the end of the video. :)
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”