swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fortune Pond Ice Dive April 2nd 2016

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 pm

While this is not a "Vintage" dive persay, Vintage gear is welcome for those who wish to dive it. I will probably dive my Kraken, but I may take my DivAir for a spin under the ice. Anyway, Fortune Pond is just outside of Crystal Falls in Upper Michigan. For more info on diving the Pond, check out this link. http://www.deepsixscuba.com/divesheet.p ... type=shore .

What is it like? Check this out..... https://vimeo.com/124034771

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFYXNFLHJQ .

An ice dive is a get together. There is set up and tear down involved of course. But it's not complete without hot chili, bratwurst and a cold beverage of your choice. You do not have to dive to participate. There is line tending to be done and assisting divers in and out. If you wish to dive, you need to be ice certified. You will need your primary reg and a pony outfit. A drysuit is highly recommended, but a good wetsuit will work. If you plan to dive wet, let me know. I will have warm water to pump into your suit before and after your dive.
I know many on this forum would rather lick a hot stove then dive under the ice. But it can be a lot of fun. Those interested in coming up, please reply to this thread. I make the chili and we'll need a head count. If you have other questions you can post here, or shoot me an email at [email protected] . See you there!

Jim :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Fortune Pond Ice Dive April 2nd 2016

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:27 pm

I immediately picked up a blanket and started a fire in the fireplace after reading the post title :shock:
Be safe and share photos and video. GO Argonaut!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Bryan wrote:I immediately picked up a blanket and started a fire in the fireplace after reading the post title :shock:
Be safe and share photos and video. GO Argonaut!
I'll bet you even closed your patio door! :lol:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:43 pm

I'll have you know I wore socks and long pants till noon today! See you in a couple months :)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 pm

An ICE diving event planned for April, man I'm glad I live in a climate where the old children's rhyme, "April showers bring May flowers" rings true. Whenever winter lasts beyond the beginning of March I get all antsy for Spring.

Say when do y'all in the UP have summer, or don't cha?
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”