8dust
Master Diver

Re: Portage Quarry August 11-12th

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Robohips77 wrote:See everyone there. Will be arriving Early Friday or late Thursday night. Will not be camping this year. What crab invested motel is everyone staying in? :shock: I will be bringing some Sea Hunt 50 th anniversary footage that we can show on the big screen.
I've got a reservation at the Best Western (419-352-4671) where I and several others stayed last year. Plenty nice, no crabs, fair price, ok free breakfast, and both inside and pull-up rooms which I like better for toating gear in/out.

Better book soon, tourist season in NW Ohio is in full swing! :wink:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 am

Cows Like Fridays they go to the Movies!!!!!!!!!! :D

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:19 am

That would be MOOOOOOvies!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Getting ready for Portage. My second set of original triples are hot dip galvanized, new bands "+" hydro and holding 2500psi! WoooHooo!!!!! A third set of triples are in the works.Image
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

ScubaLady
Vintage Diver
First Name: Becky

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Rick Green (aka The Peanut King) and Becky (aka ScubaLady) plan to attend this year. We look forward to catching up with everyone!!
Vintage Diving...the fun never gets old.

USdiver
Master Diver

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:12 pm

I was diving my ex-Robohips twin 72s with some single stage USD DH regulators up at White Star quarry this weekend. It's about 20 miles down Rt. 6 from Bowling Green. Confirmed reservations for Saturday, August 11th at the Hampton Inn in BG. See y'all there.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 pm

I've made the decision to make it happen this year. I'll be checking into the Best Western Friday Eve, heading home Sunday. I'll be "warming up" for the event at Fortune Pond August 3rd and 4th if anybody is interested. See you in Ohio!

Jim

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 am

Just checking in to see how things are going so far! I'm sorry to miss out on seeing everyone this year.

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:59 am

ivan's mermaid wrote:Just checking in to see how things are going so far! I'm sorry to miss out on seeing everyone this year.
I was looking forward to seeing you Barb! Oh boo. The viz is like my dive rescue training in Port Washington's harbor. 3 - 5 feet. Still plenty of fish hanging around. Very windy last night. There were white caps on the quarry. Should be a little nicer today. Wish you were here! :wink:

Jim

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Miss seeing you Barb.

Water was a lot better today, 10-15'. Still not great, but not too too bad.

The hangin out & BS-ing, however, are first class as always! :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:13 am

The small craft advisory was lifted on the quarry yesterday :D . The sun actually came out for a while as well. As always Jeff has put on a great event and even though the weather did not cooperate and the viz was 10 feet at best a great time is being had by all. I will continue to come back to the Portage event as long as he keeps having it. We did however miss the whole half a chicken diner this year boo hoo. I am happy to announce that I am almost all sold out of the Kawasaki Aqualung t shirt, but if I get some interest I may make another run. I can even make some special orders if you like?

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:32 pm

The soft shell Taco's rocked the house! Much better then the chicken. The Taco girl was cute too. The viz left a bit to be desired, but what the h*ll, I went diving and had a good time. I think I still got enough video to make something of a presentation.
The diving aside, it was great to see my fellow forum members. It was fun to see the interaction and the wheeling and dealing going on. I got a few deals myself. Those who missed it, really missed it. Well, theres always next year.

Jim

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

swimjim wrote:The soft shell Taco's rocked the house! Much better then the chicken. The Taco girl was cute too.
The diving aside, it was great to see my fellow forum members. It was fun to see the interaction and the wheeling and dealing going on. I got a few deals myself. Those who missed it, really missed it. Well, theres always next year.

Jim
No wonder Alfredo was constantly going back the the Taco Stand for more food. And I thought it was because he was hungry after diving...Great to see many members of the vintage community back at Portage again. Thanks Jeff, and Alec for showing up with another Scuba 2000 posse of divers...

Special thanks to Victor Worst for bringing his Morse No.15 Shallow water diving helmet for us to try out, it was awesome.

Can't wait for next year's gathering.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Just wanted to say it was good diving with the VDH group and meeting more Forum members. I am still working on Alec Peirce's Sea Hunt quiz; this might take a few more beers to complete.
Terry, if you want to get together for a dive this fall at either Crystal Lake or Higgins Lake let me know.
Now, if I could only remember where I left my jacket (thanks again Greg).
Brian

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 pm

The SAGA Of Sam 111 & Sam IV

SAM IV and I were packed and ready to travel to PQ--On Buddy passes..( Airline passes via Sam's wife Heather who was and is a Airline stew) Of course they are stand/by space available passes.

Up at 3;30 off to the San Luis Airport (SLO AP)..parked checked in and was ready to travel.

All was great two seats available available on early flight with great connections..Then the airlines discovered one seat was broken! So only one seat available..no departure for us..

Back to Sam IVs for a nap & breakfast and checking flights an availability of seats..

Off to SLO AP again even though 9 standbys in front of us..They didn't show but the plane filled up, so it didn't matter. --.

Went to SLO AP official checked flights ...some possibilities , She gave us a print out possible routes and times..

Back to SamIVs house, the children are up so no sleeping or resting.

Sam IV & Heather monitor the flights and space available and watch the spaces disappear and flights fill up.

Finally all that was avalible was late night from SLO to LA; LA to Chicago - arrive around 1:00 AM. Rent a car in Chicago and drive to PQ, arrvive just about in time for breakfast..with no sleep or rest ~~ we discussed the option and decided it would not be in our best interest!
I was presented with the honor of informing Jeff.,.

So ends another Saga of Sam trying to get to PQ--recall five years ago? Never leaving LAX! Sleeping on AC etc etc?

We are coming next year!..leaving on Wednesday -visiting a cousin in Chicago, drive to PQ Friday -hotel Friday to Monday PM and fly the Monday/Tuesday red eye home..

I hate these travel Sagas!

Now I discover Ellsworth Boyd was bitten by a tic and has Lyme disease and could not make it...

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”