SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Here Today... Gone to Maui (in March)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 am

- My wife and I are going to Maui in March... Staying in the "Whaler" condos next door to the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. I snorkeled there a couple of years ago right off the beach and plan to scuba with my double hose regs right from the beach this time. There are whales breaching that time of year and when we were there, they sometimes came within 100-200 yds of the beach in only 20-35 ft of water. Holy cats... Can you imagine being in the water with something that big?
- I'd also like to dive some choice coral reef viewing spots elsewhere and I hope not to waste time learning where they are. I'd sure appreciate any tips from VDH members who have been to Maui.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: Here Today... Gone to Maui (in March)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Check out this webpage, it helped me decide where to dive when my wife and I went a few years ago (during whale season as well):

http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

the parent directory also has shore site for other dive destinations around the world:

http://shorediving.com/Earth/index.htm

Black Rock was great, easy out and back swim, clear water, loads of turtles and some sharks, and we heard whales UW during the entire dive (no sightings however). We rented tanks from Lahiana Divers and they were easy to get info from. I think they also run their boat out of Lahiana so you may want to look into that as well.

If you have a car, driving to the 5 Caves (also know as 5 Graves) was fun. Be careful though, don't leave ANYTHING visible in your car, tourists get stuff stolen all the time so keep that in mind. We did Molikini Crater and didn't think it was worth the $$. We heard the Lava Tubes on Lani were fun but the rain and run off made the vis not worth the trip so that day of diving was canceled. Have fun, it is a really neat place...

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 am

- Hey, Thanks for the link UW! I will use that site to plan my dives for sure!
- We're both on diets and swimming laps two times a week getting in shape for this trip. Gotta get some time in the tanning booths so we don't get sun burn...
- We're only going to be 2 or 3 hotels down the beach from that Black Rock site and I've actually free dived it a few times the last time we went there. Staying at the Whaler. I've been to Lahaina and will look up that Dive Shop... Sounds like a good contact. Good to hear a personal opinon on about Molokini.
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue May 08, 2012 5:48 pm

- I forgot to report back on my trip... Really had a good time. I bought a 10 Tank Rental Card from the Maui Dive Shop and just went diving from the beach in front of the hotel all week. My dive computer says I took 12 dives... Half were snorkeling and half scuba. Maximum depth was only 19 ft!
- My nephew and I shot some video with a GoPro camera and I edited together this little piece featuring the scenery and me with my double hose Phoenix rig.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnswCqwg6Y[/video]
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”