SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Icewurst 2012

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

Kind of a wet blanket there Allan... Too much dollars and Sense thinking... :lol:
Perhaps some video entertainment is called for here...[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8MhHqLPO0[/youtube]
Faux Jet 2000 at Fortune Pond... The Movie!
Click Below to Run Our Fortune Pond Test Dive Movie

And here's Jim Bach's Video http://vimeo.com/30378348
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Icewurst 2012 May 18th - 20th

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Icewurst is coming and there will be some good diving to be had. Not to mention Bratwurst and good comradeship. Did I say diving? Be sure and make your reservations at the Lake Shore Motel in Iron River Michigan, (906) 265-3611. See you there! :wink:

Jim

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 pm

It often seems the diving is not so expensive but the gas and accommodations. I try to dive as cheaply as I can so I am not selfish to my family. I do have to justify my diving periodically so I usually spear a few sea bass or grouper and contrast this dinner with what a restaraunt trip would cost. Bringing up about five hundred pounds of low-alpha lead ballast may offset the cost of the dive.

My work allowed me to dive off state patrol boats, using state gear and air. The catch was I had to locate sonething useful but that was not much of a problem as I regularly brought up a bunch of useful evidence. In short, I was a cheapskate.

I once was asked to give a talk to a recently formed dive club and asked to give a talk on underwater criminal investigations. The talk was given at a local pizza joint. Afterwards there was a tremendous effort to push pricey dive trips on the members of the club. I remember one trip was to the Galapagos Islands live aboard for five grand. There was a lot of pressure on club memebers to sign up for trips. It was like they were selling time shares at condos. I was asked numerous times if I was interested in various destinations and I politely declined.

After turning down a handful of trips I was then asked in a somewhat condescending manner "You do dive don't you?"

I responded in the affirmative. He then asked' "What kind of diving do you do?"
I told him "Free Diving."

He said, "Oh, I thought you scuba dived..."

I replied, "I do, but I do it for free...'

Maybe one day I will hit the lottery and I will book a dive at the Galapagos but for the time being I go where I can afford to.

Until the price of gas drops I wil be diving locally, unfortunately.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm

- "Free" diving has some additional definitions for me. I really enjoy shore diving where I don't have a divemaster or instructor telling me what to do or planning everything. That trip to Maui was expensive but, once I got there, I dove from the beach all week on a 10-Fill pre-paid air card. Dove where I wanted, how I wanted, and for as long as I wanted with nobody telling me otherwise! :D
- Last Fall's Fortune trip was kind of like that. Sharing a ride helps with the travel gas. But once you're there, the diving is 20-50 feet from your car. There aren't any gawkers or crowds. You dive the way you like in clear water and you bask in the sun when you come out. I think I did the Cousteau thing and had some wine and cheese for a snack, too. :roll:
- I know I'll see SwimJim at Fortune this year. That makes at least two of us going! Awright!
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Roll call time. Who's coming? I know there won't be many with gas being $4.00 per gallon. I'm hard pressed to make it myself in this economy. But I will be there as will a bunch of my dive buddies. I need to get at least a vague head count though, because I want to be sure that I bring enough Bratwurst! The diving will be cool in more ways then one, LOL. It will be fun

Jim

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Jim,
Sorry I won't be able to make it. My son is being deployed and I will be in Kansas at that time.
Van FrankOO
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 am

I wish I could, but I can't get any time off approved at work. I know u guys will have a great time.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Probably not going to be able to make it unless I am able to manage to get off work for friday and saturday. If there's a last minute change I can leave early friday morning and still be there for some dives that afternoon. If I can't; hopefully all of you will have a great time! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue May 08, 2012 6:05 pm

- I'm taking Friday off and leaving early in the morning. I want to get there early enough in the afternoon to take a dive or two on Friday. Saturday I hope to get in at least three dives and maybe four.
- I have quite an assortment of new toys to try out:
1. My Green Phoenix HPR
2. My new VDH Back Plate Harness w/Oxycheq BC
3. A set of Navy Surplus 80's my son and I bought from Ebay. Heavier than heck, my son wanted them because he uses air up fast. They're all hydro'd and VIPed with the solid yoke valves serviced, too. I hope to get my Klauda Traveler harness re-configured to them before the trip.
- Sorry to hear some of you guys can't go... I was looking forward to meeting you. :cry:
SurfLung

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu May 10, 2012 8:37 am

I wish I could go!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 am

- I made my reservation at the Lakeshore Motel for Friday and Saturday Nights. Only $42 a night! Will arrive at Fortune Pond just after lunch on Friday. Will dive Friday afternoon and Saturday. Will drive home Sunday.
- Here are the toys I'm bringing:
Green Phoenix HPR.
VDH Backplate with my just-finished harness and oxycheq bc.
Navy Surplus Twin 80's my son and I bought and restored recently. He uses air up fast and is a "more horsepower" type of guy. These suckers are heavy and I doubt if I'll use them much after this initial try out! :roll:
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2012 6:30 pm

My plan is also to show noonish Friday. I will dive Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday morning before heading south.

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon May 14, 2012 10:07 am

- Got your PM. Sounds like between you and me diving double hose and your club members diving conventional, we'll have a good group at Fortune. I forget sometimes that we're "Vintage"... I don't dive any other way! :D
- See you there for Friday afternoon Jim... I'm looking forward to it.
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri May 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Icewurst kicked off today with beautiful weather and really good dive conditions. Mostly sunny and 81 degrees in the afternoon. Dry, dew point must have been about 40. Viz was excellent down to 130 fow where it clouded up some. The top 30 feet we had temps in the high 40's, low 50's. 39 degrees down 135 though. I took my HPR equipt Phoenix down there for awhile. It performed pretty well. I think I can bump up the venturi a bit more yet though.
So far it's been myself and Surflung for the vintage contingent. I had a couple of guys up from my dive club too. A few more of them will join us tomorrow. By the way, the high for tomorrow is 85 with no humidity. The dives may be chilly, but you warm up plenty fast on the surface interval. :wink:

Jim

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Sounds like you guys are having a great time.:mrgreen: I plan to head north to Baraboo at the end of June to dive Devels Lake. It would be great to meet up with some fellow double hosers!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”