1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fred's Memorial Stone laid to rest in Canada.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:05 am

A few days ago Allan, Barb, and I voyaged over the Peace bridge near Buffalo into Ontario Canada to Windmill Point Park Quarry to lay Fred Morrison's stone in his favourite dive spot. When we arrived we were greeted by Jerry Giammattolo, who was super gracious and helpful. Jerry gave us some important information as to where the stone could be laid and even supplied some extra cinder blocks in case we thought they would be needed to keep the stone off of the bottom and out of the silt. It turns out that the silt on the bottom of the quarry was not really that deep and the cinder blocks were not needed.

The 180+ Lb. stone was loaded in the back of Allan's Tundra and was easy enough to get to the water thanks to the makeshift harness made from A and D adventures harness material.

We all suited up and took to the water, all in double hose regs and cotton harnesses of course, and searched the area for a suitable location for Fred's stone. Eventually a large quarried stone laying in about 25 feet of water was located and a marker buoy was tied off to it to make our return with the stone easier.

Once the stone was in the water we attached the lift bag and inflated it floating the heavy granite ever so gently across the water to its final resting spot.

With the stone in place the harness material was removed and we left the location for a short dive to allow the silt we had stirred up to settle. After about 20 or 30 minutes we returned to the stone for our last goodbyes.

Allan took some pics and video and I expect that he will post some of them here soon. After the mission was accomplished all three of us travelled back across the longest unguarded border from Fred's homeland back to the USA, where we stopped by to visit Donna Morrison, Fred's Widow. Allan and Barb showed the pictures and video they took and told Donna all about the hard work making the memorial stone by Dave Ali and Roger Van Frank. I think it was safe to say that Donna was touched and pleased by the gesture. I think the stone was fitting
memorial and Fred would have liked it as well.

If you are ever in or near Ridgeway Ontario, please make a special trip to Windmill Point Park Quarry and don a double hose to visit Fred's stone. The quarry has great super friendly staff and nice amenities. I expect that Fred liked this location for some of these reasons.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Fred's Memorial Stone laid to rest in Canada.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 am

Nicely done gang....Vintage dive events won't be the same without Nature Boy :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am

Great job, Fred is smiling.
Captain

ovalis
Master Diver

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am

What a fantastic tribute. That's what you call TRUE friends.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 am

Very, very nice!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:26 pm

What a fitting tribute to Fred.

Thank you Allan, Rob, Barb, Roger, and Dave for taking the time to do this in memory of Fred.
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:29 pm

That stone and plaque traveled over 3000 miles to get this entire process done. The Plaque by itself went from Dave to Allan to Roger then on to THE STONE (that was from the Abandoned Railroad Corridor in Darke County Ohio that Abe Lincolns's funeral train ran across in 1865) to Florida and the Sea Hunt Live Event back to New York and then on to Canada. Ladies and Gentleman I applaud all of those that made this happen. :D Right down to those that purchased the homemade J rods that I sold for the Fred Morrison memorial fund. 100% of that fund went into making this happen. I would like to note that Dave Ali did not charge a penny for the plaque. :shock: Thanks Dave once again for helping us who continue to dive the oceans and waters of this planet for allowing us to remember a dear friend. Job well done folks.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm

What a wonderful and touching way to memorialize a great friend. Nice work, Guys and Gals of VDH. I didn't know Fred, but your efforts speak volumes about what kind of diver and gentleman he was.
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

DrunkenParrot
Master Diver
First Name: Bryce

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Aileron wrote:What a wonderful and touching way to memorialize a great friend. Nice work, Guys and Gals of VDH. I didn't know Fred, but your efforts speak volumes about what kind of diver and gentleman he was.
I couldnt have said it any better. Very well done my friends!
Image N.A.V.E.D. Master Diver #207
"Why Is The Rum Always Gone?"

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 am

I don't know if it was the same trip but Trace Malin just made a very complimentary thread post about you guys over on the other site. The force must be strong with you if you can turn a tech instructor to the grey side. Hope the link is ok in this case as it speaks well of vintage diving in general: Vintage Divers: Great Ambassadors of the Sport
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 am

Dale,

Thank you for sharing this awesome link.

Remember, it is always fine to share something like this on VDH. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”