Aileron wrote:

So y'all just go ahead and go. Ed and I will stay behind and mind the store. :D
Amen to that! :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Portage Quarry Vintage Diving Weekend 2011

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Check out the VDH facebook page, I posted a photo of the Mistral for the raffle on Sunday.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-D ... 1101932767
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 am

Nice mistral I am buying my tickets but I feel I will be "Karled" anyway!!!!!!!! :D :lol:
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:23 am

I am buying some tickets as well. Just make sure you don't use PAYPAL or Bryan will get in trouble! 8)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 am

I predict that you all will get KARL'd
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Bryan wrote:I predict that you all will get KARL'd
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 am

I flunked Sistine Chapel Painting 101, but it didn't take me 4 years like that Mike guy. For many Portage attendees, the vintage guys have numerous items for sale or trade. Unfortunately we are parked a bit off the main tourist route. So I did this sign to lure the prosective equipment fancier to our "market". Pass the word around that much dive gear will be available at more than fair prices. You will see vintage and modern dive gear to brose.

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:53 am

Can I share that sign with you Allan? I am driving up so I've got a whole lot of stuff to get rid of that others might use or use for a project....

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am

The sign is about 6' long with 11" letters. I made it to bring any interested (or not) to our location at the quarry. It is for ALL of us. I made it as big as I had material to be better seen. I just love those "yard sale" signs people post on telephone poles that are written on 8 1/2 X 11 paper. Can almost see them. The sign is for all of us. Welcome aboard.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

If anyone wants vintage style weights brought to Portage, let me know this week (8/1-7). I will not bring any extras to sell unless they are pre-ordered. Price is $1.50/#. Cotton weight belt material is also available in 1" or 2", choice of colors or natural. I also have 1" wire buckles. Bryan has 2" in his store. PM before 8/7 for Portage delivery.

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 am

Bryan wrote:Check out the VDH facebook page, I posted a photo of the Mistral for the raffle on Sunday.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-D ... 1101932767
I just returned from a "girls trip" to Nashville and we spent a day on Old Hickory Lake. While we were floating around enjoying a beer, Image

a dive boat pulled up about 50 feet away.Image

You could stand in the water where we were, there were even people at a volleyball net nearby. Image

I wonder what it was they were looking for?

Since I'm back how do I buy tickets for the mistral?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Well, the job I was going to do which would have financed my Portage expedition has moved back in the schedule another three weeks. In short, I will not be able to make it this year. I'm bummed. Oh well, I'll have to console myself diving some deep Lake Michigan wrecks. Have fun all and take a lot of pictures!

Jim

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm

[quote="ivan's mermade

a dive boat pulled up about 50 feet away.Image[/quote]

Well...speaking as a local and all, as you were essentially drinking and floating in my back yard, the likely target of the afternoon was/were the cellphone fish, the common sunglass fish, and the more exotic watch fish. The sandbar is the site of some pretty heavy duty weekend partying. Real girls-gone-wild type stuff :shock: . Because it’s shallow though, anything really good that goes over the side can be found with the toes pretty easily. The really good booty is in the deeper coves but it can get a little spooky “brail diving.” The lake gets some pretty big snags floating on the bottom after a big storm and I have always been a little concerned about getting hung up in a cedar tree I never saw until it was too late. Not unheard of to find a fish net either, which would be really bad. Best to have surface support when going deeper than about 8’. I love living on a lake, but it frustrates me to no end for it to be one with ~3-6” vis due to the warm water and algae. In the dead of winter and early spring, you might get up to ~12”-16,” but it’s dam cold. On the upside “Old Hickory Lake” is actually an impoundment of the Cumberland River which is part of the inter-costal water way. It has always seemed really cool to me that I could walk out the back door and if I paddled my rowboat long enough one way, could be in Key-West, or the other way in Chicago or Boston… Lot of paddling though, would have to pack some snacks either way. I keep threatening my Wife that I’m going to buy me some type of vintage cruiser off Florida ebay, take a 3mo leave of absence from work, and motor it up here. I have to believe a trip like that would make for some pretty good stories! Maybe one day… :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm

swimjim wrote:Well, the job I was going to do which would have financed my Portage expedition has moved back in the schedule another three weeks. In short, I will not be able to make it this year. I'm bummed. Oh well, I'll have to console myself diving some deep Lake Michigan wrecks. Have fun all and take a lot of pictures!

Jim
Sorry to hear that Jim :( Just be sure you are saving up for SD VIII in sunny FLA.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 pm

I had plans to travel this weekend which have fallen through....sooooo Henry and myself are most likely going to come afterall.
Herman

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”