swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fortune Pond, Crystal Falls Michigan

Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Rob will be up my way for a few dives. I am going to take him up to Fortune Pond which is in Crystal Falls Michigan. That's up in the upper penninsula about 25 miles west of Iron Mountain. We will arrive Tuesday afternoon May 10th, do a few dives. Stay overnight in Iron River. Dive Wednesday morning, then head back south to Wisconsin and my digs.
If any of you double hosers wish to join us, come on up. The water will be cold, but the viz will be close to the Florida Springs. The local area is pretty interesting too. It's like stepping back into the 1970's.

Jim

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Fortune Pond, Crystal Falls Michigan

Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am

Rob and I dove Fortune Pond Tuesday and Wednesday and had a blast. The water was chillin' at 39, but the viz was from 70 to 150+ depending on where you were. While we were there I shot a video for Rob's website, www.thescubamuseum.com , to show off his Hydroglove drysuit. He is also sporting a Voit Polaris and a set of triples. The video also gives you an idea of what the viz is like at Fortune Pond. Here's the link to the video.

http://www.scubadivingtube.com/videos/1049/hydroglove

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice video.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Fri May 13, 2011 9:23 pm

For the hell of it this video should be posted on a few of the DIR boards to show what you can do with training instead of equipment. You know just what they are alwasy preaching ...........
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Gilldiver wrote:For the hell of it this video should be posted on a few of the DIR boards to show what you can do with training instead of equipment. You know just what they are alwasy preaching ...........

+1 +1

How much better does buoyancy control get ??? No BC, triples, sheet rubber drysuit....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri May 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Jim Bach and Watertight Productions showed me an awesome time and he did not lie about the viz at Fortune pond. I don't know why but the viz is nearly as good as a Fla spring? If you watch the video you can see my bubbles go up for what seems like an eternity, a true sign of good viz. The water was chilly but we had rather nice air temps so the surface intervals were rather comfy. My hydroglove, triples, and Voit with all new silicone gear served me well. The pond didnt have a lot to look at, mostly rocks, but it was very deep. I ventured to 165, but viz went to nearly 0 at about 145. We are taking up a collection for the frog so he can get a hydroglove.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 am

Jim, Thank you for the video. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey Rob and Jim,

That video was sweet! What type of undergarments did you wear Rob? I am presently trying to get my undergarments lined up for my hydroglove, so that I can use it in colder water.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 am

I was wearing some BARE 200 wt modern undies. I also had a t shirt and 2 pair of socks on. Sometime I toss on a SHAMWOW over my head incase I get a like leakage down the neck. It is made in Germany and the Gremans always make goos stuff. I have dived for over an hour under the ice with that exact setup and stay quite toasty I must say.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”