swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: SEA HUNT LIVE! 2011

Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey Surflung, you need to dive Fortune Pond sometime. That's in Crystal Falls in upper Michigan. It blows Wazee away!! Check the FP thread for the video I did of Rob swimming around.

jim

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Thu May 19, 2011 10:53 pm

sitkadiver wrote:Being that I live on the opposite side of the continent, I won't be able to make it either. But I wish I could.

My sister was in Ocala earlier this year and she brought me and my boys t-shirts from the Don Garlitts Museum of Drag Racing. If anyone has an off-gass day before flying back home, it sound like the Don Garlitts Museum is well worth the time. Some of her pics of the old Hemi's and front engine dragsters were really fun to see.

Vintage diving and old school dragsters all in one place??? Almost sounds like paradise.

Hope everyone has fun.
I've been to the D.G. Museum and the Gator Nationals Drag Event along time ago. Florida really does have alot of stuff to see and do.

I would imagine Alaska would blow my mind though :D

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 am

Stunt Hoses.......Ready for cutting!

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri May 20, 2011 4:27 pm

I sharpend me knife. :evil:
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm

No wonder the old hose assemblies ran out in the store! :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri May 20, 2011 5:49 pm

swimjim wrote:Hey Surflung, you need to dive Fortune Pond sometime. That's in Crystal Falls in upper Michigan. It blows Wazee away!! Check the FP thread for the video I did of Rob swimming around.

jim
Hey SwimJim, thanks for the tip! Your video is awesome. I've tried two local lakes so far this Spring and visibility was terrible. Your Fortune Pond is amazing. Rob looked as good and clear as Mike Nelson on his best day! My wife has been talking about taking a trip to see upper Michigan... This might be all the excuse I need! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat May 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's a short slideshow of some B&W photos I took from the 1st Sea Hunt dive at Silver Springs: Click Here
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat May 21, 2011 3:58 pm

JES wrote:Here's a short slideshow of some B&W photos I took from the 1st Sea Hunt dive at Silver Springs: Click Here
Nice photo's! Thanks for putting up the link!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat May 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Rob made it about an hour in Florida before he had to dive his Hal Watts triples in the pool..

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sat May 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Sweet triples! Who wouldn't want to jump into that awesome pool,too!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat May 21, 2011 7:26 pm

That's great.. any leaks? I am only bringing 1 set of triples to Fla. The galvanizer F@*Ked up my other set. (chemicals inside the tanks) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sat May 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Best wishes to all of you who are attending The SeaHunt event; Im sure it will be an event to remember! Earlier this year I was planning on attending myself; but for numerous reasons I had to decline; too much on the Ole plate as they say. I'm sure there are others in our vintage group who would like to attend; but like myself for their own reasons are not able to; which leads me to a question. I was wondering if there might be any possibility that some of our members who will be attending would be able to put some type of a presentation together of this event to be put on at Portage this coming August? If so; at least many of us would be able to see what a great time everyone had, and I'm sure it would be a program of great interest. Just a thought for what it might be worth. :D Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat May 21, 2011 8:16 pm

When we did the Sea Hunt 50 Celebration for the 50th anniversary of the Sea Hunt TV show's beginning we were quite generous on dive gear that could be used by the cast. This year for Sea Hunt Live! 2011, the 50th Anniversary for the final year of production, we were very strict in regards to the equipment that can be used. We have very good documentation for these items from noted authorities on the series. I post here the requirements to illustrate the amount of effort each cast member has given to obtain the "accepted" gear.

Philosophy of Sea Hunt Gear Requirements

The items in the list are "ideal". They are the gear items that were most commonly used and are most readily recognized and identified with Sea Hunt. Therefore they are the first or best choice.
Because of the nature of Ziv productions and their constant attempts to cut costs as well as the limited supply of scuba gear at the time, it would be hard to say exactly what was used and what was not. Apparently some actors and stunt divers supplied their own. Ziv would have loved that!
We do know and the public knows what scuba gear was used by Mike Nelson in almost every episode and that's what we're looking for - the Sea Hunt recognizable gear first.
The intent is to have participants who are clearly recognized as from Sea Hunt.

Sea Hunt Dive Gear Specifications

To qualify as “genuine” Sea Hunt gear, that is, as used on Sea Hunt by Mike and the others, the following items/criteria must be followed:

1. Mask: 1st choice – Voit B4 – blue oval, single seal, single band strap Voit on the front top.
2nd choice – Voit B10, black oval, otherwise as above
3rd choice- Squale Mask
3rd choice – oval, single seal, metal strap clips, Screw closure on band

3. Snorkel: None.

4. Fins: 1st – Voit Viking – blue, full foot, sided (left & right style), oval hole in side like old Churchill fins
1st – Voit A6 or A66 Viking full foot blue with white ship or Voit A11 Skin diver fin
2nd Navy style Duck Feet
3rd Original color Churchill fins

5. Weights: 1st – 2" canvas belt with 2-piece wire quick release, rounded edge 3&4 pound weights

6. Tanks: 1st – galvanized 72 painted silver, USD K or J pillar valve, canvas web harness (gray or green)with 2 steel bands, no boot
1st – galvanized 38 doubles painted silver, USD double pillar J valve, same harness, no boot
1st-galvanized double 72 with harness (gray or green)
1st-galvanized 40 with navy blue basket harness
1st-galvanized triple 40s with navy blue harness

7. Regulator: 1st – Voit green-label Lung, green hoses
1st – Voit 50 Fathom, blue body, gray hoses
2nd – USD Aquamaster, gray/black hoses, USD Jet Air Black with Black hoses, USD Overpressure with Black Hoses

8. Knives: 1st – USD Vulcan
1st– USN MK2 (Kabar) leather ring handle

9. Depth Gauge: 1st – USD Admiral
1st – Sportsways Navy with rotating dial (stationary needle)

10. Watch: 1st – Elgin USN BU Ships “Canteen” watch
2nd – Rolex Submariner, SS expanding bracelet

11. Light: 1st – Anderson Model 1000 Skin Diving Lantern
2nd – USD Aqualux 4 D cell hand light

12. Speargun: 1st – Healthways 50” Gold Barrel, 2 bands, center handle, single barb slip-tip chisel point

13. Wetsuit: 1st – ¼” skin 2 side, silver or black outer, black inner, high pants style, beavertail with metal twists
2nd Smooth skin outside, silver or black, beavertail

14. Hood: 1st – ¼” skin 2 side, silver or black out, black in, no bib, low cut front and back, taped seams
2nd - 3/16" or 1/4" skin out black or silver
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 pm

I have been digging out the gear for the event. I have a pile o stuff gathered and ready to take to the shop and fill tanks and load the trailer. Still have to dig out regulators, wetsuit, masks, fins and camera gear. I have a busy day planned tomorrow!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Vintagediver wrote:Best wishes to all of you who are attending The SeaHunt event; Im sure it will be an event to remember! Earlier this year I was planning on attending myself; but for numerous reasons I had to decline; too much on the Ole plate as they say. I'm sure there are others in our vintage group who would like to attend; but like myself for their own reasons are not able to; which leads me to a question. I was wondering if there might be any possibility that some of our members who will be attending would be able to put some type of a presentation together of this event to be put on at Portage this coming August? If so; at least many of us would be able to see what a great time everyone had, and I'm sure it would be a program of great interest. Just a thought for what it might be worth. :D Terry
I'll be in attendance and I'll see what I can do Terry. I'm bringing my Top Dawg with me!

jim

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”