Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Florida Diving This Weekend

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am

Rob is headed down from Cincinnati and we are going to dig around for some shark teeth in Venice on Thursday. We may go to Paradise Springs on Friday cause I need to pick up the Prince at the DPV hospital in Ocala....He is sporting a new red bulkhead so I am told.....We are planning to dive Ginnie on Sunday and run by and see Wayne at Amigos......Anyone in the area who is up for some double hose diving is welcome to join us! I'll post here as plans finalize or you can E-mail me for details.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: Florida Diving This Weekend

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Wish I was in town. I'm out in California all week and won't be back until next Sunday night. :(
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:38 pm

[quote="JES"]Wish I was in town. I'm out in California all week and won't be back until next Sunday night. :([/quote

It will be a shame you did not get to see us. If Rob and I dive together for more than 2 days you can bet money that problems with the locals, local authorities, aquatic creatures will happen....At least this time you cannot be called as a witness.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Douchebag
Master Diver

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 pm

JES wrote:Wish I was in town. I'm out in California all week and won't be back until next Sunday night. :(
Dude, where are you?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Ok, yesterday Bry and I went to Venice and dived with Megaladon charters. The dive op was great...the teeth not. We almost got blanked after a total of 2 hours and 25 minutes of bottom time. There was an expert tooth hunter on the boat and even he found virtually nothing. I was dreaming of the gianormous Meg tooth for the photo gallery on the scuba museum, but it was not my day. I will have to come back next year and try again.
Today we picked up the Prince of Redness scooter from the shoppe and went to Paradise. I dived the new Hydro Twin Waterlung to 138 feet and 137 feet on 2 different dives. Bryan also brought and let me try out his Hawaiian back pack. It was the first time I had ever used one and I found it rather comfy I must say. On that dive I used Bryan's old school Mistral with a duckbill killer in it...AWESOME. I can't wait to retrofit all my USD and Voits with one.
After Paradise we visited Craig's new shoppe just down the street from Paradise. It looks great and the location is much better than the 1st shoppe.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Ok, yesterday Bry and I went to Venice and dived with Megaladon charters. The dive op was great...the teeth not. We almost got blanked after a total of 2 hours and 25 minutes of bottom time. There was an expert tooth hunter on the boat and even he found virtually nothing. I was dreaming of the gianormous Meg tooth for the photo gallery on the scuba museum, but it was not my day. I will have to come back next year and try again.
Today we picked up the Prince of Redness scooter from the shoppe and went to Paradise. I dived the new Hydro Twin Waterlung to 138 feet and 137 feet on 2 different dives. Bryan also brought and let me try out his Hawaiian back pack. It was the first time I had ever used one and I found it rather comfy I must say. On that dive I used Bryan's old school Mistral with a duckbill killer in it...AWESOME. I can't wait to retrofit all my USD and Voits with one.
After Paradise we visited Craig's new shoppe just down the street from Paradise. It looks great and the location is much better than the 1st shoppe.
Yeah...I bet the vis was better than our fossil dives in the Cooper River, though...

We found some real nice teeth, but 18" of vis was "interesting".

On a funny note...On the way out to the dive site, Rob and I were commenting on how many gators there were on the shore. Anyway, despite the black water, Rob somehow "found" me rummaging through a gravel bed 30' down. Real quickly he grabbed me hard by the calf...The wet suit just about had yellow and brown stains on the nylon interior. Some day, buddy...Your day is comin'!

Too bad you guys didn't have much luck. How did the Sportsways compare to some of your other regs?

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 am

Headed north to visit Wayne at Amigos Dive Center in Ft White and then on to the Blue Hole.

Tomorrow we are diving Ginnie Springs.....Everyone is welcome to come on over and join us!!!

Vintage Diving a Go GO !!!

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Bryan wrote:Headed north to visit Wayne at Amigos Dive Center in Ft White and then on to the Blue Hole.

Tomorrow we are diving Ginnie Springs.....Everyone is welcome to come on over and join us!!!

Vintage Diving a Go GO !!!
I can't wait to hear about your day at The Blue Hole. We've been there so many times, unfortunately not during scuba season. Try as I may, I never could make it to the bottom on a snorkle. Rob dives to the bottom like it was nothing. I bet Rob will be like a kid in a candy shop. I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to witness. I hope to see some great photos.

JES
Plank Owner

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Douchebag wrote:
JES wrote:Wish I was in town. I'm out in California all week and won't be back until next Sunday night. :(
Dude, where are you?
My wife, 3 year old daughter, and I spent a week visiting San Francisco, Monterey, Big Sur, and Carmel. We had a great time! :D

We made a quick swing through San Jose and actual got to meet "DB" in person. What an awesome guy! We had a great visit talking Vintage Equipment and California diving, and I was able to see his awesome U.S. Divers watch in person. 8)

I will definitely make sure that I bring my dive gear with me the next time I'm out his way. Oh, and for the record, because we couldn't have dinner together this time, dinner is on me for "DB" & his wife next time. :wink:

OK, back on subject, we're looking forward to seeing pictures from the Florida dives.
NAVED Master Diver #108

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 pm

On Sunday Bryan, Eva and I went to the Blue Hole. I have always snorked it but never dived it before. The walk is long, about 400 metres or so through the North Florida Jungle. Bryan used a Spiro and I my Hydro Twin. The cavern was rather large and the flow strong. I managed to get to about 53 feet before the restriction became too tight for my wide load. Any further penetration would require sidemounting. The blue hole may be a good spot for a future Sand Dog location provided it is during March and not April.
Saturday Bryan and I went to Ginnie and waiting longingly for Slonda and others, but they did not show. Bryan and I held each other for a while then jumped up and into our rubber suits and dived our butts off. I used the Hydro Twin on 3 of the 4 dives and Bryan's broken Spiro one dive. Oh, where, oh where will he ever get a seat for that Spiro? I also got a chance to dive Bryan's AL 30 triples. They are actually very nice and trim. I think that they in fact may be better than the orig USD 44 cf triples! I can't wait to get my tanks bought and get mine in the water. Ginnie was a great time even when some of the tech guys stole our table while we were using it :roll: .

Triples, is all I NEED!!!!!!!!!!!

JES
Plank Owner

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:37 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:... Saturday Bryan and I went to Ginnie and waiting longingly for Slonda and others, but they did not show. ...
If I wasn't still out in California at the time, you can bet I would have joined you and Bryan for some diving at Ginnie Springs. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 pm

I like the first picture of Rob in the Blue Hole with the light streaming down.

Since I haven't been able to get to the bottom of the blue hole on snorkel, I can't wait to dive it sometime soon.

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Did I see a scratch on the yellow triples!!!!!!!!!!! all the triples look like they are good to go. Wish i could have been there. Soon very soon.. :D
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

JES
Plank Owner

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Great pictures! 8)

It's good to see that the Prince of Darkness has been resurrected. :twisted:
NAVED Master Diver #108

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”