8dust
Master Diver

Re: Interest in a Vintage Dive in NASHVILLE area?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:56 am

You, or he, should be A-OK.

Really hope you guys can come. It will be great to meet some of the folks from the forum for the first time!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm

So I have been reading a bit about Marha's Quarry on Scubabarf. Some post mention buildings of several stories that one can dive and swim through? Are these buildings really there and can we access them 8Dust?

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Yea, you bet. They are cast concrete and steel and real stable/safe. The big one is the shaker house and as I remember is 4 stories. In footprint, they aren't huge so no matter where ever you are inside, you can always see daylight somewhere if a person is a little unfamiliar/uncomfortable with over-head environments. No danger at all, just fun. There are rooms, lots of steel stairs & railings, bunches of mechancal equipment, and A LOT of man-eating bluegill. The bottom floors of the shaker house and the bus are ~40-50' and you will want a hood and maybe some lite gloves. Most of the other stuff is ~20-30' and is easily bathing suit-able, however the bluegill are bad about not respecting personal privacy and are inclined to nip at one's ears & thighs. :shock:

Here is a link to their website: http://www.marthasquarry.com/map.php
As I mentioned above, it's pretty thin and way out of date, but you can get the idea.
The page I am linking to has descriptions of some of the "stuff", but the photos in my OP are way better than what's on the site.

There is plenty to explore and play with to last a good many tanks worth.

Have I got you sold yet? :wink:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 pm

You have to dive those buildings with your DivAir Rob. I'm taking mine to upper Michigan to Fortune Pond this weekend. I going to try to get my DivAir into the 150 foot club. I'll have it on my twin 72's on the right post. My Xstreams will be on the left post and running my drysuit. My DACOR 400 Polar will be on the pony as back up to the back up. I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy. LOL. You need to come up and dive Fortune Pond sometime. That's open to all VDH'ers. I've dove lots of Vintage there and it's a great place.

Jim

TN Traveler

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:50 am

Wish I could make it - but I'm headed for surgery on the 11th and will not be able to dive for 3 months. :(

I look forward to the opportunity to get together for another Vintage Dive Gathering in TN in the future. :wink:

usddude
Master Diver

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Looking better for me!! I may be able to make it too. If Rob and Barb are coming I believe I will dive my FX-50!!! It a respect kinda thing, plus I really like the FX-50.

usd

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:07 am

The first part is done. I got the days off from work. It be looking like a GO!

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:52 am

Most excellent! Coming together nicely. :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:26 am

Make sure you take a lot of pictures when you finally get together. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Skin Diver
Diver

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Looking at also attending this vintage scuba diving event, very near the Country Music Capitol of the World!

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Well that's just fantastic!

The mo', the mo' better!!! :D

I threw this out there really just hoping to scare up a person or two so I wouldn't have to listen to my Wife give me a hard time about diving alone, but the response has been just great. Better than I ever imagined.

I feel like I should have some hats made up for the occassion or something!

Guess I have a week to figure something out… :shock:

The weather here has been beautiful for a month or more now at least and I hope we aren’t on borrowed time. Be sure and do the Sunshine Dance from now till next weekend and we’ll just take what we get.

Come one come all!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Best of luck with your plans. My wife gives me a lot of grief for diving alone. Personally I really like it that way. Ha. Being the past president of two dive clubs I know what praying on the weather is all about. Your pretty far down south as far as I'm concerned. You'll be just fine. I'll cross my fingers just in case!

Jim

usddude
Master Diver

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:24 pm

I am headed to the shop monday to fill up a few tanks for the get together. I am so excited to meet you all!! Here is one of my best friends...recording artist Jeff Caron. He has a great cd "Twist Of Lime"

http://www.jeffcaron.net

I apologize for the shameless plug for my buddy Jeff but this is Music City :D

usd

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 am

Hey All,

Looks like the Nashville weather next Saturday is going to be beau-ti-ful!!! for our Vintage Dive. It has been in the 80's and not a cloud for miles for weeks now.

Can the folks who are planning to attend drop me a quick note at: [email protected]

so we can start sending around a group email to setup the final details. I don't seem to be having a great deal of success with PM's lately and that should work better for everyone to chime in.

GOING TO BE A GREAT TIME! and am really looking forward to meeting everyone. :D

Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

usddude
Master Diver

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Well I got two more divers coming with me....they are not vintage yet, this might set them on the right path!! :lol:

Its time to fire up that big RV....and go diving at Martha's quarry!!! Showers in the RV, TV, Music, good cookin'....and of coarse some fine diving!! :D

usd

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”