Herman
VDH Moderator

Mini Sand (Coral) Dog on Bonaire

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Emilio Largo (Rob) and my self just got back from diving on Bonaire. A real nice week with good friend and lots of DH diving. We even got one of my single hose buddies into the act. He has already ask when Sand Dog is going to be.

A sight that has not been seen on Bonaire in at least 40 years, 3 DH regs diving together. Scotty, myself (both in Phoenixs) and Emilio Largo (aka rob) diving his Faux Voit Blue 50 fathom.

And another one of Scotty and myself .

Scotty on his very first DH dive.
Herman

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: Mini Sand (Coral) Dog on Bonaire

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Ok, now that u are back what have u set up for us SAND DOG 8 wise? We are all ears.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 am

Oh yea, got some good stuff. I have 2 places in mind. I am working on a post with photos and information- rates, pros and cons of each and the like to put out to the group and then more or less the majority decides......Luis did tell me this comes with benevelent dictator power so in a close race I may have to use it. :) The resorts are eager to work with us and I met personally with the dive op manager to discuss his views on diving vintage. Bottom line on the diving is we have meet 2 requirements- a SPG and have good buoyancy control. BCs, octos or other items are not required. Don't run out of air, stay off the coral and everything is good.
Herman

Scotttyd
Skin Diver
First Name: Scott

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am

Hey all, new to the board, kinda lurked for a while, that is me in my first double hose dive - after a little effort at first, things went well - even took it to 80 feet without issues. If I can swing it (work, wife, etc). I may try to make it back to Bonaire for Sand Dog - and join the vintage community.

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 am

Cool pics, I am the new guy in the group there, after some adjustments I enjoyed the double hose.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 am

Thank you for the quick update. We're looking forward to your detailed plans! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:23 pm

We had a great time scouting Bonair and the diving is fantastic. I used the faux Fifty Fathom, no BC, Swimaster Wide View and UDT Duckfeet all week. The only time someone commented on my gear was positive and he said that he has a Mistral at home in the Netherlands.

I am sure this will be a great Sand Dog!
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Emilio Largo wrote:We had a great time scouting Bonair and the diving is fantastic. I used the faux Fifty Fathom, no BC, Swimaster Wide View and UDT Duckfeet all week. The only time someone commented on my gear was positive and he said that he has a Mistral at home in the Netherlands.

I am sure this will be a great Sand Dog!
wow Rob, you do not look at all like your avatar!!

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Yeah, I only wore my eye patch for the movie Thunderball.
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Here's a picture of me giving a pre-dive briefing at Sand Dog Bahamas a.k.a. Operation Thunderball. We had a lot of fun hijacking a RAF Vulcan Bomber, stealing a couple atomic weapons, attempting to extort 1 million dollars. Plus, we had the best underwater fight with our rivals, the Vintage Single Hose forum! We would have got away with it if it hadn't been for the meddling Universal Exports salesman. Good Times.
A fun fact about that trip, I had to send Rob Studnicka home early because he didn't bring a speargun.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 am

I was so embarrassed! I could have sworn I had packed it in my evil dive buggy?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 am

You might want to consider a scuba review for you henchmen. The one on the left and the third one back on the left do not have their fin straps on, they obviously did not do a proper buddy check- BWRAF. It's very difficult to win an UW fight with your fins falling off and every one of them is violating the mask on forehead rule. Poor training of your evil doers may have caused the loss of the battle.

Scotty if you think it gets bad here, wait till you meet this bunch in person...worse than a NC Divers meeting.....on second thought, not if Polly and Marcie are there.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 am

Herman wrote:You might want to consider a scuba review for you henchmen. The one on the left and the third one back on the left do not have their fin straps on, they obviously did not do a proper buddy check- BWRAF. It's very difficult to win an UW fight with your fins falling off and every one of them is violating the mask on forehead rule. Poor training of your evil doers may have caused the loss of the battle.

Scotty if you think it gets bad here, wait till you meet this bunch in person...worse than a NC Divers meeting.....on second thought, not if Polly and Marcie are there.
Good point Herman. All those divers are obviously in a serious state of panic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:33 am

I bet those tridents works great for spearing angel fish - nothing hits the spot like blackened angelfish after a day of diving

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am

Looks like all the henchmen are sporting Wideviews with the screws.

Nice :mrgreen:

I know I always feel just a bit sinister in mine.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”