simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Sandog VII Trip Report

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Sand Dog VII, My Perspective

The vintage dive events called Sand Dogs have now experienced 7 years of gathering. I have been able to be at 5 of them. Each has had its own characteristic that will be remembered as such. Sand Dog VII is no exception. The attendance for SD VII was about average if you compare the highest attended to the lowest. I would have liked to see more of the people who had mentioned on this thread that they were coming actually show up. But I am sure various reasons prevented their doing so. The basic core group was there as well as some new faces to match to the forum names and avatars.
Diving this year was with Jupiter Dive Center based in Jupiter, FL, a northern suburb of West Palm Beach. The flyers and drivers to the event were about equal. The base of operations was the La Quinta Inn, about 5 minutes from the dive boat. Diving in the Atlantic off Jupiter was exciting. It is all drift dives which were rather deep. Almost all of us were using Nitrox and used in the two dives per trip all of the no decompression time allowed. Image The dive operation was top notch. From store owner to boat captain to divemaster to boat mate, all but one (boat mate) knew their job and went out of their way to make the dive trips as easy as possible. The seas were a challenge. Ranging from 3 to 6 feet at times, each dive trip had a few divers "chumming" over the side. However, the numerous species we saw were some of the largest found anywhere. Goliath Groupers, Tortugas, nurse and reef sharks, green and spotted eels, rays and all the other critters must really eat well as they seem to be quite big. Image
Over the three days we were with Jupiter, 10 dives were scheduled, and there were a few of us nuts who did all 10. [As a side bar, Jupiter has you actually pay just before each trip. So if you had "signed-up" prior to the actual dive departure and decided not to go, you were not charged. A great dive operation.]
On Friday evening the group gathered at the hotel hospitality room where we paid tribute to Fredrick James Morrison, aka Scubanut. Stories were told about this kind, but quirky man, laughs were had and we all left feeling a sense of loss of one of our own. Realivan made a memorial shirt for us depicting Fred at one of the past Sand Dogs.

We had lots of goodies to give away so we did a lottery for choice. The remainder of the time was spent discussing Sand Dog VIII, which will be in Bonaire under the guidance of Herman. (I do pass the torch). Image
I am sure more information will be upcoming.

Saturday and Sunday had more diving for the brave or nuts (your choice) until the event was over. A great time for all. Sand Dog VIII is just 12 months away at a location that is world class. So start socking away a few dollars each month or maybe clean out your dive lockers and do the eBay thing. Bonaire is not to be missed.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Photos Courtesy of Nemrod :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Barb and I are on the way back from Fla right now in the Mighty F150. We had a great time diving with old friends and some new ones. It was great to meet BBAIN and LEIGH in the flesh. Almost everyone was sporting a Luis PRAM to conform with the dive operators requirements, but I do think that after the first day they would have let us dive cg45s in speedos. The dive master on the first day Jeff Montgomery, was literally amazed by us! He said that he has rarely ever seen divers with such good bouancy control. He may have been fishing for a good tip of course, but I do think he was suprised and impressed. We were all really happy with the Jupiter Dive Centre crew. The crew was friendly and helpful. SOme of the dive conditions were challenging as ocean diving can be, but we all managed to get in and out of the boat to our dives. Some of us fed the fishes, but managed to still get into the water. As you have seen from some of Allan's and James' great pics we had a ton of cool animals to look at. The grouper were GIANT! I was pleased at the turnout, but like Allan was suprised that some people that said they were coming were no shows.
The informal dedication to Fred was awesome and that was mostly owing to Allan telling so many great stories of their times traveling to Sand Dog. We all miss Fred very much and Sand Dog will never be the same without him. I hope that the Sand Dog T shirts were received as I intended them.

After SD7 a smaller portion of the SD Crew headed to Key Largo and dived the Spiegel Grove and other dive sites. This was the first time Barb and I had ever been to the Keys and I was very suprised at the rough seas there as well! The conditions on the water were rough at times, but we all managed to get our dive on nonetheless.

Another SAND DOG is history. Now to look forward to BONAIRE SAND DOG 8!!!!! I can't wait.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

I had a great time, I love diving the Keys and the Gold Coast, my favorite stomping grounds, too bad more did not attend or dive while there, the diving was easy, taxi service from the boats, a bit rough but from my perspective not so much an issue had I not had a 3,500 dollars camera in my care and was freaking out over it especially after the lens fiasco. My pics are so so but it is a new camera to me and I am just figuring it out.

Early spring when the frontal passages are still sweeping through Florida will always result in high potential for cool temps, wind and rough seas anywhere in Florida from P'cola to Key West. That is why when I go down there I go in late May, June, July and keeping an eye on tropical depressions, August and September are wonderful and I love the heat and humidity.

I guess I have a rain check from Silent World for a trip, now how do I cash it in :lol: Maybe if I get furloughed again I can run down, grab a trip or two with them and then hit up Ocean Divers too.

Well, hopefully MC and me will be able to make it to the next venue.

James

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:12 am

Had a great time in Jupiter seeing everyone again and a few new faces. After we left Jupiter we wandered down south to the Everglades and headed north along the west coast. We found a great place called Casey Key just north of Venice in Nokomis and because it was so nice we stayed a couple of days relaxing on a beautiful beach.
I stopped by Scuba Quest in Venice and inquired about local dive sites. It seems it is similar to Destin with lots of ledges and some natural and artificial wreaks but shallower and good spearfishing. They have regularly scheduled trips on the weekends but I had to get back home so I couldn't try one out but I plan on going back.
Captain

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Sand Dog VII, My Perspective, addendum
Following the final wet dive of Sand Dog, (it rained buckets unloading from the boat which actually was a good thing as it made rinsing gear quite easy) seven of the group headed south to Key Largo. Lots of rain during the 2 1/2 hr drive. We checked in at The Pelican in Key Largo and found this facility to be quaint, interesting and fun. I chose a room to accommodate a single person and found that it was very affordable, clean and pleasant, albeit quite tiny. Total square footage was about 68. Enough room for a double bed, a wicker chest of drawer and a sink with the head and shower up a step into a closet-sized bathroom. But for one person there was plenty of room and I had a very pleasant stay.

We scheduled both morning and afternoon dives for Monday and Tuesday with Silent World. The Monday morning dive was on the Spiegel Grove, the now famous artificial wreck of Key Largo. The trip out and back was rough with 3-5' waves. I dive wrecks all the time here in the St Lawrence, so to me, it was another big metal boat on the bottom.

We did not dive Monday afternoon (we got a voucher for another trip) because we had enough boat trips for a while, bouncing and rolling and watching people puke. We visited the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada. An excellent place for anyone interested in diving. There are very attractive displays, videos and interactive activities for all ages. I highly recommend a visit.

We ventured out on Tuesday morning and afternoon for 4 more dive in the Keys, these on the shallower and closer reefs. Capt Gary and boat mate Leda were very good at their tasks and were somewhat impressed with the dive gear. I do recommend them for a dive op as well as The Pelican for lodging.
Wednesday morning arrived so we said our farewells and each went various ways. Our next get together will be Portage Quarry in August to spend more time diving and just enjoying each other's company of good friendship.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Douchebag
Master Diver

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm

simonbeans wrote: Image
I don't know who that is, but I do recognize a Sharkhunter when I see one! Nice Doxa!
Glad you you guys had a good time.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm

That is the infamous Emilio Largo, watch guy extraordinary. :lol:

I stayed in the "Banana Room" which was quite comfy. I really like the little Pelican Hotel, it was quaint and kind of "cute" if I can say that.

James

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Emilio is looking slim and trim!!! Great pic's! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have joined ya'll. The museum at Islamorada is a really cool place. I was there back in '08. I hope they improved their double hose collection. It was looking pretty ratty back then. I wanted to restore some of the S**t they had on display so bad. Great regs, but in neglected condition and full of verdigris. A crying shame.

Jim

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:45 pm

That is me shaking hands with the "Iron Mike" diving suit. Yes Douchebag, I wore my Doxa Sharkhunter 750T COSC on all dives and everthing else at Sand Dog 7. I enjoyed talking dive watches with Nemrod and Slonda in Key Largo. Ron has a new bad ass Omega Planet Ocean that is every bit as nice as the Doxa. At the Jupiter Beach dive on Sunday morning, I met Suddah from the Watchuseek.com Doxa forum sporting a no-date Submariner. And Captain Tucker was there Saturday with his restored Voit automatic watch.

Sand Dog 7 was good diving, but the best part was seeing all my friends. The Fred Morrison memorial was very touching. When we were at the History of Diving Museum I scored a DW Mistral for a good price. Alan, Luis, Rob, and Roger tried valiently to overhaul it while having cigars under the Tiki hut. Alas, it required a larger hammer than we had to disassemble the correded parts. I am extreamly excited about going to Bonaire for Sand Dog Ocho and seeing everybody once again!
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

Douchebag
Master Diver

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 am

Emilio Largo wrote:That is me shaking hands with the "Iron Mike" diving suit. Yes Douchebag, I wore my Doxa Sharkhunter 750T COSC on all dives and everthing else at Sand Dog 7. I enjoyed talking dive watches with Nemrod and Slonda in Key Largo. Ron has a new bad ass Omega Planet Ocean that is every bit as nice as the Doxa. At the Jupiter Beach dive on Sunday morning, I met Suddah from the Watchuseek.com Doxa forum sporting a no-date Submariner. And Captain Tucker was there Saturday with his restored Voit automatic watch.

Sand Dog 7 was good diving, but the best part was seeing all my friends. The Fred Morrison memorial was very touching. When we were at the History of Diving Museum I scored a DW Mistral for a good price. Alan, Luis, Rob, and Roger tried valiently to overhaul it while having cigars under the Tiki hut. Alas, it required a larger hammer than we had to disassemble the correded parts. I am extreamly excited about going to Bonaire for Sand Dog Ocho and seeing everybody once again!
Ahhh, Planet Ocean. Nice!! Ron, you bastard! How come you didn't share? Is it like this:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:
After SD7 a smaller portion of the SD Crew headed to Key Largo and dived the Spiegel Grove and other dive sites. This was the first time Barb and I had ever been to the Keys and I was very surprised at the rough seas there as well! The conditions on the water were rough at times, but we all managed to get our dive on nonetheless.
True but in all fairness to Flariduh and the Keys if you recall the Bahamas last year were just as rough or rougher, just as cold, we got blown out one day, another day it was so rough the boat broke anchor and the DM forced us to the surface into a death swim from Hell, on the wreck we dive one of our group was unable to make it to the anchor line due to current and the ladder hit my wife so hard she still has a bruise a year later and that scuba Nazi woman that ran the place would not arrange me a night dive (which I expect from a Carib vacation resort) and just as we left the weather the following week was horrid with a frontal passage and lot's more wind, y'all remember? The only "Legend" I will be celebrating in the future is the one typing this post.

It isn't the Keys, it is the fact we go diving down there in early Spring. In early Spring, what we got in the Bahamas last year and this year in the Keys is typical of that time of year. All in all, I think we lucked out to have the weather we had this year and last, we did good with that IMO and had fun and got some good dives in for those who wanted, those who went to the BHB, well, I guess I missed that and I don't feel shorted.

I had fun at UNEXCO but been there and done that, now the JDC, I will dive with them again in the future, planning on it already.

N

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 am

I have to agree with Nem, having lived and dived the southeastern US, both the Gulf and Atlantic, all my life the best months in terms of good weather, water temperature and visibility are the summer months from June to mid October that have the best average conditions with July, August and September being the prime months.
Captain

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 am

Caribbean hurricane season rhyme

June - Too Soon (first month)
July - Standby (for any news of a storm)
August - You must (prepare in case a storm comes)
September - Remember (to standby)
October - It's all over (last month)
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Gilldiver wrote:Caribbean hurricane season rhyme

June - Too Soon (first month)
July - Standby (for any news of a storm)
August - You must (prepare in case a storm comes)
September - Remember (to standby)
October - It's all over (last month)

True those are in hurricane season but hurricanes are less frequent and are confined to relativly small affected areas where as winter and spring storm fronts are more frequent and affect the whole area and the prevailing winter and spring winds are stronger.
I would argue that the chance of getting blown out in any specific week by a hurricane in the summer months is much less than getting blown out any specific week by normal weather in the winter and spring.
Captain

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”