Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Post Sand Dog dives in the Keys

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 pm

When I dove with Silent World I used the NEW Mistral just to avoid conflict. They never even looked twice at it. Store owners, Captain and crew were super nice. The ass clown of a PADI instructor on board trying to impress us all with his PADI tattoo and his amazing skills in 20' of 89 degree water I could have done without...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm

One of the main reasons that the Phoenix was developed was to provide the mulitple ports that are helpful in supplying SPG, alternate, inflator. I am also sure many of us have a Phoenix for this purpose. So if we have to play by their rules, let the game begin. I look forward to warm oceans with colorful critters. I can always dive as vintage as I want here in NY in the summer. So I have little issue with the dive ops' restrictions. Would it be nice without the requirements? Sure, but it is their boat and their party. So if it is Phoenix with required stuff or green, brown, cold zebra encrusted mud, I think I can live with their procedures.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Nemrod
I just added you to our reservations for Monday.

I also asked if there was any issues with the use of a horse collar as a BC and they said as long as you know how to use it, it is perfectly acceptable.

Anyone else wants to join us please let me know as soon as possible.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Of course it is acceptable, it is the safest form of BC made.

With all the travel regs, a horsecollar is the ultimate travel BC, roll it up and with an Allan harness in your pocket you is ready to lock and load.

Yeah, thanks, for the invite, I have no idea what we are doing up north but at least for Monday I am set, :lol: .

Nem

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm

I will be diving the Spiegel Grove with them on Sunday morning (my only chance to do so; have to work Monday). They told me also no problems with vintage gear as long as I'm familiar with it. I'll be bringing my Trieste II and Phoenix Navy.
Might throw an MR12 in the bag in case someone gets anal at the last minute..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:14 am

The Spiegal was a great time. I love diving it. The current was relatively strong but not ripping. The thing is so huge and I keep being put down on the bow buoys so the stern as yet remains a mystery. Me and Rob (Emilio) were back at the crane, I think he thought the inner wall to the equipment bay was the other side, not even close, the thing is huge, only the Mighty Oriskany is larger of the wreck I have been on.

I only wish I could have gotten away from work to stay a few more days, I was just getting settled into the Banana Room :lol: . That and I had to make a beeline back to the Jupiter Dive Center to get my lens, what a miracle. I just sit here holding it :shock: .

James

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:41 am

I am so glad that the fine people of Jupiter found the Lense for you Nem. You have had so much bad luck at past Vintage events with theft and stuff I thought, Here we go again!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I was upset but it was not a trip ruiner, just something for me to go on about. I am always loosing stuff, I am used to it :lol: . It was not the money but that I really enjoyed using that lens and they are somewhat hard to get sometimes. But, I have it back and all is well so as I said, I count SD a success for me.

I used to do a lot of photography, land and underwater, I enjoy it but I have to remember not to get carried away to the point I am renting poodle jackets for my camera, lol.

I am glad to have seen new and old Doggers and that everybody left safe and had a good time. I really liked that place in the Keys and I really like the Keys in general. The Keys and Key Largo in general are the center of the scuba universe, that is dive central number ONE. But, the reefs require a boat ride as do the wrecks, there is no shore diving in the Keys (well there is actually and I know some of them). The Keys offer an extraordinary mix of diving that is unavailable anywhere else in the world, for serious diving, there is no better place to go.

James

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

There was a dive shoppe every three feet in Key Largo! I bet that a good vintage gear hunter could find some treasures in those shoppes if given the time.

On our last day I was so proud of Barb. She did all 4 dives and spent a total of over 4 hours under the water. That is a lot of down time for anyone and she was hanging in there with all the others.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Here are some pictures of our trip into La Chalupa (AKA Jules Underwater Lodge) in Key Largo, Fl. We did this the Friday after Sand Dog VII.

This was of particular interest to me since I was aboard this underwater habitat back in the early 70’s. La Chalupa was a scientific underwater habitat that operated near Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, from 1972 to 1976.

All the lab equipment is gone, but the habitat is basically unchanged. It brought great memories seeing it again.

We watched a video of some of the research dives out of La Chalupa in the 70’s. They were using Dacor Olympic 400 regulators, back packs, no BC, no wet suits, Jet Fins, etc.

Relaxing inside the habitat:

Christine going into the wet section in the center:

Two bed rooms with the door between them opened. There are view ports at both ends.

Getting ready to leave the habitat. This may be the first time a double hose regulator has been used into the habitat.

Another view of the moon pool:

Here is the dive profile:

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

That is cool! Thanks for sharing. Happy B-Day!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow! Those pics show a lot and explain a lot. Thanks LUIS!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing it with us Luis. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:38 am

Dang, I wish I could have stayed longer.

Thanks Luis for the pics and also for the Key Largo diving.

I also raided Diver Direct store, got me some cool spring straps, a cool LED UK light, admired all of the wonderful poodle jackets, even Luis drooled over them and Allan too. It is like a huge Wall Mart for scuba divers!

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Why is the habitat named "little boat"
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”