luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Post Sand Dog dives in the Keys

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Bryan wrote:Why is the habitat named "little boat"
Funny you ask… you are probably one of the few persons that know the original meaning of the word. Thanks for the question.

I met Ian Koblick on Wednesday and among other things he told me why he picked the name. A Chalupa is a small, kind of unstable boats, that are known to tip over and sink. The name was used in PR and other Latin American countries.

Well the habitat was designed to be portable (somewhat self contained) and be able to sink and placed in many locations.

Ian has been an owner since it was first developed… He was also involved in both Tektite projects and was program manager of Tektite II.

It was a real treat to meet him since he is seldom there. I bought his book about: “Living and Working in the Sea”. I am looking forward to reading it.

http://www.jul.com/staff.html

http://www.jul.com/frontpage.html
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:01 pm

The seas got worse on Wednesday and Thursday and none of the dive boats were going out. We got vouchers for the dives that we missed.

We met Chris the owner of Silent World on Friday. He was very nice and was very interested on Phoenix RAM and our gear. He said that he would love to take some video of us in the Spiegle Grove.

Chris has no problem with us diving without and Octopus or BC inflator. I actually didn’t have a chance to ask him, he mentioned it before I even asked. It is possible that the statement was influenced by feedback about us that he might have gotten from the captain. I would say that they were impressed by our skill level, etc.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm

That is good to hear. By and large, including all, we do pretty good as a group. Go out on most any cattle boat or open charter and you will be amazed at what goes on. He-l-l, the captain and crew are often just happy with finding everybody. Last year, nearly every dive in the Keys, during my Florida Furlough Festivus, some people actually climbed up into the wrong boat, sat down and took their gear off before realizing they were on the wrong dang boat.

So, given that, we were hot shots!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”