SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Orebegone July 14-15 2022

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:24 pm

Orebegone July 14-15 Dive Report

Between Ron Sheriffdiver, Rich 50,000 Questions, and me SurfLung we were wanting to get in some decent diving... Our next Fortune Trip isn't until the end of August. We started texting and phoning about the possibilities. Rich and I checked out the local lakes and that was unsatisfying. We'd just been to Wazee... And we settled on Orebegone up by Virginia MN... Actually its a park serviced by the town of Gilbert. Its about a 4.5 hour drive... For Ron coming from New Ulm as well as for us coming from Alexandria. So we made reservations at a nice little motel called the Lake Shor (no E). Hoping to not encounter a crowd, we got there about noon on Thursday. Ron was already there, all set up with his awning and had roped off a parking spot for us.

Weather was perfect. Also there was no crowd to stir things up. The water was refreshingly clear and clean... We could see more than 25 feet visibility. We each brought a set of doubles and two singles plus my little Aerotecnica Coltri MCH-6 compressor. We got in 3 dives on Thursday... Ron got in 4. We saw the helicopter, the school bus, the jeep, the trolley car, airplane, boat, and skeleton. Very nice diving... no too cold and not too deep... Mostly dove around 25-30 feet with visibility so nice that we didn't have to go all the way down... I think max depth was no more than 60 ft.

So, we didn't end up using a lot of air. It was very easy for the little Coltri compressor to top up the tanks for Friday's diving. So, on Friday, we went into the cove and saw a little old truck with flat bed and a little railroad cart. We finished up a 2nd dive re-viewing the sites and then decided to head on home. So Rich and I got in 5 dives and Ron did 6.

Here's how to get in some diving this Summer... JUST DO IT! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”