swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sand Dog 10

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:07 pm

Yes you read it right. This is my new video, Sand Dog 10 The Lost Reels. The Sand Dog series of dives were really awesome. i wish I could have attended more of them. The Sand Dog dives were about running down to Florida in late March, early April and spending a weekend in the springs diving as much as you wanted to with vintage gear. It was a real blast.
It's a pity we don't have anything like that today.... well in early Spring in Florida anyway. I think those who did the leg work for these events got burn't out on it. I cannot blame them, I've been down that road too.
Sand Dog 10 was probably the apex of all these events. it had the magic combination of being relatively cheap to attend and the bright sunshine and heat of central Florida in Spring. With out further ado, after eight years of sitting in the can, here is my video, Sand Dog 10, the Lost Reels.

https://vimeo.com/591282469

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Sand Dog 10

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:53 am

Geez what a beautiful video Jim. Thanks for editing it all together so nice.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:49 pm

Great video Jim!

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm

Nice Video Jim.
Some of us were talking the other day about getting another one organized. Would there be any interest in holding one here in NC. We have a couple quarries near by that may be interested in an event. We were just kicking it around but thinking something like a 2-3 day event with the local dive shops involved , maybe a swap meet, vintage show and tell for other divers , Sea Hunt videos at night....who knows. It depends on how much interest we would get.
Herman

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

Sure, as long as the water is warm and reasonably clear. Quarries are not my favorite, but another Sand Dog could be fun.
Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:09 pm

I will preface this by saying I am going through a life change right now and my immediate future is a little sketchy. I am just about to go through my second total hip surgery and after that is done I will need to find a new career. This will make it difficult for me to do anything fun in the next 12 months or so.
That being said, a Sand Dog would be something I would love to attend. It would be a blast. I think the Minnesota contingent would back me up. Eben? Ron? SeaHunt Jerry?!!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:11 am

This is in the very very early "what if" stage, nothing firm. We are thinking fall 2022. The water is warm (80+) , no wet suit for most of us.....Jim, you might need a cool suit :) and the topside weather is nicer and hopefully this bug stuff will be over.
Herman

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:32 am

swimjim wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:09 pm
... I think the Minnesota contingent would back me up. Eben? Ron? SeaHunt Jerry?!!
Hey that sounds like fun. I'm letting a possible Sea Hunt Forever event take priority... That one I will DEFINITELY go to.
The two limiting factors for me are and a Sand Dog event are:
1. Will it be attended well enough to justify the long trip. I don't want to get there and have only 4-6 other attendees to visit with.
2. The Trip... For me it will be 2-3 days of driving to and from because I will want to bring my own gear. That means a week long commitment.

The Sea Hunt event gets hard commitments from each of the 20 cast members. So I know what kind of turnout to expect. Is there a way to get hard commitments for a Sand Dog event?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 pm

I agree a SH event would take first place but even then, that is in the spring so they would not necessarily conflict as we are thinking the fall. There are 4 of us local so we could pretty much guarantee that many....we are diving there tomorrow.
Herman

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Jim, your editing is excellent! Thanks for sharing! Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:53 am

Wow, Jim!!! That's a great video. No wonder it took 8 years to finish.... :) I not sure but that may have been the last / most recent time I dove my orange dimple bottom boat anchor. I'm surprised I was even wearing a weight belt, but at least it makes it easy to spot myself. I feel like a 🎥 🌟. And great too that Rob got some clips of you. Your Nordic tan is as easy to spot as my Nimrod tank! That really was an excellent trip and I have so many good memories from it. I hope we can all dive together again one day soon while we can still carry our gear!!! Hope everyone is staying healthy out there, Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:06 pm

NIce video, while the quarry that Herman talks about is not quite as clear, it has a lot to offer, warm water ( Summer/Fall), decent viz, easy access, new owners who seem to be making onsite improvements, plenty of space, relaxing atmosphere, A fall event could work out nice especially if we try to get some new interests by offering some "education" on vintage diving . No matter when we dive the quarry, we always get a lot of interests from divers on our gear .
There is another quarry in VIrginia about 1 1/2 hours away and another one about 30 minutes away for those looking for variety. North Carolina coast is approx 2 1/2 hours drive for those looking for salt water diving which could be possible.
Attached are some recent photos of the quarry from last month.

https://i.vgy.me/iqMNWc.jpg
https://i.vgy.me/anBtub.jpg
https://i.vgy.me/WYBwFP.jpg
https://i.vgy.me/f5sDE2.jpg

ubxdiver
Diver
First Name: John

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:44 pm

The suggestions of these events have my interest. I’ll keep an eye out for new posts.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”